Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 09-17-2021, 08:10 AM
  #51251  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,693
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

What's the problem?
The batch was 15 gallons
$32.50 for the methanol
$80 for the nitromethane (wish it was free)
$94 for the oil


Quite a bit under $13.76/gallon if that nitromethane was free!
Old 09-17-2021, 09:15 AM
  #51252  
erieqc
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norwalk, OH
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Gary you still using super techniplate that’s the most expensive part now.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:22 AM
  #51253  
Hyjinx
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 638
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek View Post
https://youtu.be/-fEnViZCG6g

Low speed needle set way too rich. Lol
Nice job Lonnie. Least you didn't have to let it cool down before the next flight lol. That rich It was probably cooler than the ambient airstream.
And the bearings would last to Christ's return!!!
Beautiful plane beautiful flight.
Congrats
Aaron-
Old 09-17-2021, 09:27 AM
  #51254  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,660
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open View Post
What's the problem?
The batch was 15 gallons
$32.50 for the methanol
$80 for the nitromethane (wish it was free)
$94 for the oil


Quite a bit under $13.76/gallon if that nitromethane was free!
Problem? No problem. Simple math shows you're getting your Nitro for approx $38.00 gl and Techniplate/Super Techniplate for approx $45.00 gl. Using my available sources I would have to pay close to double those prices. Methanol from the pump within 200 miles of here is $5.50 gl. Good for you that you have those sources up there.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:30 AM
  #51255  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,660
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hyjinx View Post
Nice job Lonnie. Least you didn't have to let it cool down before the next flight lol. That rich It was probably cooler than the ambient airstream.
And the bearings would last to Christ's return!!!
Beautiful plane beautiful flight.
Congrats
Aaron-
Whoops, guess I should have included the disclaimer "Not my plane". I'll edit the post. I linked the vid for vertical grimmace. May even be his plane, who knows.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 09-17-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:37 AM
  #51256  
Hyjinx
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 638
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek View Post
Whoops, guess I should have included the disclaimer "Not my plane". I'll edit the post. I linked the vid for vertical grimmace. May even be his plane, who knows.
Oil well.
Enjoyed it anyway⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Old 09-17-2021, 10:42 AM
  #51257  
Hyjinx
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 638
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hyjinx View Post
Oil well.
Enjoyed it anyway⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

My brides cousins Saito lol
Old 09-17-2021, 12:27 PM
  #51258  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,693
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Just an FYI,

I had one of those engines (4cylinder Henderson/Indian ) It had been on a full-size Heath Parasol airplane from the 1930s.


Old 09-17-2021, 01:34 PM
  #51259  
Hyjinx
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 638
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open View Post
Just an FYI,

I had one of those engines (4cylinder Henderson/Indian ) It had been on a full-size Heath Parasol airplane from the 1930s.

Would that you still did buddy. You would be wealthy. ( Or more or less so)
Restored by James Henry. His daddy is in the picture at the front wheel. Wearing his leathers in front of his 80" flattie. My mother in law ( just buried her ) and he rode to school. Anne in the pilot seat on lenawee county mud roads, and little brother on his 36 knuck.
Jim has that scooter too. Unrestored and rideable on its bias ply WW2 synthetics.
Fortitude and class. God Bless America.
Land that I love....
Here I am free to play wit me Saitos!
Cause of them.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:15 PM
  #51260  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,693
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Surely did, just the engine 1974 was the year. It was sitting out behind Lee's Surplus on GratiotvAve near 10 Mile Road. You have probably heard of the fellow they just released from prison, name of "White Boy Rick" The owner of Lee's was his daddy. It was sitting there minus the head etc but it did have the Heath gearbox snd prop hub in place. I paid $15 for it because Lee said that was about what the scrap value was and he was about to scrap it! I sold the engine, sans the Heath parts to a local Indian shop "Indian Wally". About 10 years later met a fellow from Chicago who was restoring a Heath Parasol and he was quite happy to take the Heath gearbox etc.

Restored a couple of the Indian version engines at our shop back then.

I caught that thing about one day away from the scrap yard.

You can web search "White Boy Rick" or "Rick Wershe" for more info on Lee's kid.

Be cool to see Saito make an inline four, glow engine!
Better still, a triple

Last edited by Jesse Open; 09-17-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:09 PM
  #51261  
Hyjinx
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 638
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open View Post
Surely did, just the engine 1974 was the year. It was sitting out behind Lee's Surplus on GratiotvAve near 10 Mile Road. You have probably heard of the fellow they just released from prison, name of "White Boy Rick" The owner of Lee's was his daddy. It was sitting there minus the head etc but it did have the Heath gearbox snd prop hub in place. I paid $15 for it because Lee said that was about what the scrap value was and he was about to scrap it! I sold the engine, sans the Heath parts to a local Indian shop "Indian Wally". About 10 years later met a fellow from Chicago who was restoring a Heath Parasol and he was quite happy to take the Heath gearbox etc.

Restored a couple of the Indian version engines at our shop back then.

I caught that thing about one day away from the scrap yard.

You can web search "White Boy Rick" or "Rick Wershe" for more info on Lee's kid.

Be cool to see Saito make an inline four, glow engine!
Better still, a triple
LolIndian Wally hung out with Cowboy ( RIP ) at my buddy Mary Janes Chopper Heaven (RIP) Dave Mutchall on schoolcraft and evergreen in Da Hood.
I spent many cold dark days chuckin wood into a barrel at the shop with Mary Jane. Dicking around with knucks, pans and shovels. LONG before I flipped a Saito.
My 65 rose up from parts there in the early eighties.
Was owned by a Vagabond when I pulled the engine out of the hacked up wishbone cradle. Bolted it into the bone stock un cut e glide frame Dave had printed my name on.
Usually held the scattergun at the back door as Dave locked up and we split.
I was a "biker" back then. HEHE.
Saitos are so much safer....
Old 09-17-2021, 04:11 PM
  #51262  
Hyjinx
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 638
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hyjinx View Post
LolIndian Wally hung out with Cowboy ( RIP ) at my buddy Mary Janes Chopper Heaven (RIP) Dave Mutchall on schoolcraft and evergreen in Da Hood.
I spent many cold dark days chuckin wood into a barrel at the shop with Mary Jane. Dicking around with knucks, pans and shovels. LONG before I flipped a Saito.
My 65 rose up from parts there in the early eighties.
Was owned by a Vagabond when I pulled the engine out of the hacked up wishbone cradle. Bolted it into the bone stock un cut e glide frame Dave had printed my name on.
Usually held the scattergun at the back door as Dave locked up and we split.
I was a "biker" back then. HEHE.
Saitos are so much safer....
Handed Dave twenty dead presidents and rode it home.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:33 PM
  #51263  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,693
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

He would have loved Saitos.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 09-17-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:52 PM
  #51264  
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)
 
Todd D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI
Posts: 536
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Hello all,

I have an opportunity to pick up a Saito 450 radial that has the gas conversion from CH Ignition from a club member, he has not run the engine since the conversion. Does anyone have experience with this engine? Would like to know reliability and performance. Wondering if it'll perform as well as the G62 I have in my H9 Corsair. Anyone know what the expected RPM's would be on a Xoar 22X10 after the gas conversion? Do the engine hold up to the gas conversion? Any information is appreciated.
Thank you,
Todd D
Old 09-18-2021, 02:35 PM
  #51265  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,660
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Looks like it runs great to me!
Old 09-18-2021, 03:57 PM
  #51266  
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)
 
Todd D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI
Posts: 536
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Thanks, I watched the videos from Adrian. Looking for some feedback from users who have flown it.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:34 PM
  #51267  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 4,781
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

sO Tower's sent me another balancer,
so lets talk about balancing APC props. has any one had problems balancing APC props? I remember some one here. LOL saying without saying reasons that he does not like APC props. well what people like or dislike I have no problem with, to each his own likes and dislikes. but I tell you it took me an hour and a half to balance this brand new APC 11x8. what ever I did the balance would go this way or that way. adding CA to one side of the hub 3 times helped, but at that point what ever I did it went this way or that way. UNTIL I sanded a bit off the inner part of the blade near the hub. just sanding there on that one side it balanced with sanding there twice.

so has anyone had this, finding that you need to sand on the thicker spot that is between the blade fin and the hub ??

I used to use a boat prop balancer. it worked well. but this True Spin balancer seems to be very smooth/work very well.

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 09-18-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:26 PM
  #51268  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,660
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

I buy my APC props from apcprop.com and have had no problem blade balancing them in less than 5 minutes by sanding the front side of the heavy blade. Hub balancing, if I elect to do it, takes another 10 minutes or so. I use velcro (the fuzzy side) and CA for that job.
A good portion of the balancing complaints I hear are about APC clones from fleabay and other vendors. The rest of the problems people encounter balancing authentic APC props I believe are self inflicted ie not reaming the prop hole dead center from front to back. I always check the balance before and after reaming to ensure I'm not creating problems. Authentic APC props are perfect or very close to perfectly balanced from the factory in my experience.

As far as removing material on or near the hub, I wouldn't recommend it. Better to add weight to the light side of the hub.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:57 PM
  #51269  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,026
Received 110 Likes on 104 Posts
Default

I went up to Wichita today to pick up new hearing aids and watch my grandson run cross country. Before leaving town I got the pleasure of visiting a real hobby shop and managed to drop the last $50 of my hobby stash. He had 15% Nitro fuel for $23.00 a gallon I wished I had had another $25 in the kitty! It was great being in a reall LHS after 2 years!
Old 09-19-2021, 05:07 AM
  #51270  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,660
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
Thanks, I watched the videos from Adrian. Looking for some feedback from users who have flown it.
I haven't flown one or even seen one in real life however it appears the 450R3 on gas is able to spin a TopFlight 24x10 @ 6500. The Pe' Reivers Thrust/HP calculator shows that to be 39.20 lbs of thrust, 6.57 HP and pitch speed 53.5 mph. Of course the engine would unload significantly in the air with a 10 pitch prop and mounted on a Corsair. Top speed would probably be closer to 62 mph @ 7400 rpm. Maybe faster. A TF 22x12 is an equivalent prop load and would produce 37.97 lbs of thrust, 6.54 HP and pitch speed 64.2 mph. Unloaded in the air closer to 75 mph. A Zenoah G62 really isn't in the same league with the 450R3. A Xoar 22x10 will likely over rev a good running 450R3.

As for engine longivity, with proper oiling gas engines are no more prone to wear or failure than ringed glow engines, all other things being equal. I run all my bushed connecting rod gassers on 15:1 Stihl Ultra oil. No problems with wear so far.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Glowgeek; 09-19-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:37 AM
  #51271  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,693
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
I went up to Wichita today to pick up new hearing aids and watch my grandson run cross country. Before leaving town I got the pleasure of visiting a real hobby shop and managed to drop the last $50 of my hobby stash. He had 15% Nitro fuel for $23.00 a gallon I wished I had had another $25 in the kitty! It was great being in a reall LHS after 2 years!
If you ever make it to Michigan let me know you are coming. I can send you home with a few five gallon cans of 14% for nearly one half that per gallon price
Old 09-19-2021, 07:11 AM
  #51272  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,026
Received 110 Likes on 104 Posts
Default

I will keep that in mind!
Old 09-19-2021, 09:00 AM
  #51273  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,660
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open View Post
If you ever make it to Michigan let me know you are coming. I can send you home with a few five gallon cans of 14% for nearly one half that per gallon price
Is that an extended offer Gary? Supposed to be going to visit my son and family in Berrien Springs for Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 09-19-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:06 PM
  #51274  
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cross Plains, TX
Posts: 503
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Not to long ago I received two right angle oil drain nipples from Dave. Guess where the first one will go.

Old 09-19-2021, 01:00 PM
  #51275  
1200SportsterRider
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 372
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

I could never guess

I just made one using a Gary suggestion, I need to use a jewelers file to clean it up.



Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.