Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 07:16 AM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gary, thanks for all the info. I learned a lot from it. The standard 40 and 45 are very nice engines that throttle well. To me the original 40 had no power but engines of that era like the OS Pre-Surpass 40 were about the same. The 45 with the 50 cam I was flying yesterday kept all the behaviors but with a bit more power. I have run gallons through this engine, and I don't think I hurt it by doing the cam swap. The only 40 Special I have seen is on You Tube and I only saw the videos of it in pieces. I don't think there is a video of it running.

If I get time at some point, it would be interesting to mount both cams in some type of fixture and rotate them with a dial indicator. I wish I still had access to a CMM machine because that would give a very nice readout of the differences between the two cams.

Lonnie, I think you are right. It might have been just an evolution of the Saito design.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:59 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I am going to do an experiment on the 72 head that got damaged from a unlanding. The exhaust flange broke off, so I am going to put the flange nut in, then use some of that aluminum repair rod and see how well it works. Watched Project Farm do a test on them all and the Hobart rod seemed to be the best. If I can repair it, then I have a spare, if not, no loss since its already damaged.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:01 PM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I am going to do an experiment on the 72 head that got damaged from a unlanding. The exhaust flange broke off, so I am going to put the flange nut in, then use some of that aluminum repair rod and see how well it works. Watched Project Farm do a test on them all and the Hobart rod seemed to be the best. If I can repair it, then I have a spare, if not, no loss since its already damaged.
Unlanding Todd.
Love that lol!
I think I excell at that LMBO! Rich dude....
Aaron
Old 04-18-2022, 04:54 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Gary, Dave, on the end of my #2 Mores tapered arbor what's the "J3" mean?

thanks!
Jim
Old 04-18-2022, 04:59 PM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Peter,

I have owned a few 45 Specials but have never come across the 40 Special. The parts lists shown above are the only parts lists for both that I have on hand.
Yes, Saito was playing pretty cautious with the cam timing early on. A huge part of the charm that comes with the super-sweet, albeit low output early Saitos.
Hey Gary. I just started a thread on the new radial project. Find it in gas engines here on RCU if you wish. Thanks for your help as always. Regards. Aaron
Old 04-18-2022, 08:53 PM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by the Wasp
Gary, Dave, on the end of my #2 Mores tapered arbor what's the "J3" mean?

thanks!
Jim
The end opposite the #2 Morse adapter is a #3 JACOBS taper. It will fit into a drill chuck that mounts #3 Jacobs taper.

Pick up a Machinery Handbook, they are packed with info. This one was already 40 years old when I bought it forty years ago. The old ones are very handy.. They used to be in every worth his salt machinists toolbox.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 04-18-2022 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:56 PM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Hey Gary. I just started a thread on the new radial project. Find it in gas engines here on RCU if you wish. Thanks for your help as always. Regards. Aaron

Very cool. Having seen your extensive accumulation of very interesting and diverse radial ephemera, I will be following that thread faithfully.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:24 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Very cool. Having seen your extensive accumulation of very interesting and diverse radial ephemera, I will be following that thread faithfully.
No there is a well worn bible. I remember seeing other faithful parting the pages in the Plymouth Stamping tool room many moons ago.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:08 PM
the Wasp

Gary:
A) thanks, so the 3J is for the chuck side. thanks.

B) as for the HP 40's backplate. I can't turn it down. I mean I can, but if I do the Disk Valve will hit/rub on the inside of the case. I wanted to use this #1 engine because the piston shows it has a lot less time on it than the other #2 engine. Oh-well, I will just put the original back plate and original front housing back on engine #1. it will run.

engine #2 looks to have more time on it, but has a bit larger case ID, and the rear carb backplate fits it well. in the end both engines will run. LOL I now have to order more gaskets LOL.

I can't get either head off either engine without drilling a few screw heads off. and the question there would be could I even then get the screw out of the cases. so that's OK if I don't. because I would want to spend the $75 to put a new ABC liner and new piston in that 2nd engine, and as I said before I may never fly it?

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 04-19-2022 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:27 PM
the Wasp

about my lathe.
I see people on YT changing out their "Ball Bearing" main bearings for tapered bearings in their small lathes. not that their small lathes don't have oil feeders for their main bearings.., well, my lathe's manual shows my lathe has "Ball Baring" main bearings. but my lathe does have oiling caps to oil the main bearings and I do oil them with auto gear oil. the guy in one of the videos suggested if your lathe main chuck has .002 of backlash that will be ok. yet in my mind that gives a +- of .004. too much in my thinking. so knowing my lathe is some 28y.o. I had to check. I slapped in a 10" long stick of cold round stock, and mounted my Indicator. and checked at 6 different points on the head chuck. no mater how hard I pushed on the rod I got a .0005 of backlash. for a total of +- .001. I was very surprised!. so I am good to go for now.
BTW, my lathe was not made in China. it was made in Tawan. when I bought it the guy I talked to (on the phone) told me to buy it because he only had 2 left, and all the new lathes of that brand will be made in China. the lathe's price was $2100, he took $500 off the price. it was more money than I was looking to spend. but it was a great price and more lathe than I wanted. so I snagged it. shipping was free. today I see the same lathe made in China with 4 or 5 different brand names on it. I have seen prices from $700 to $1400.

hold on, I will come back and get a photo in about an hour.

cutters;
when I bought the lathe I bought a good tool/Inset holder. it was made in Sweden and you can still buy them today. and a pack of 10 insets cost me $50 back then. I bought 1 pack. today all those inserts are gone. I need more. and when I looked up on the Net for quality inserts they were $24 each. $24x10 ouch!
sO, I looked on Amazon. while on Amazon I laughed because I saw a pack of 10 for $12, I got a real kick to see that and knowing that they were made in China and they had good reviews. I had such a kick to see that price of $12 I had to buy a pack LOL. guess what? they may be a bit brittle. but they cut better than the ones made in Sweden LOL,,, $12. I have to say these cutters have a sharper nose. but they cut drill rod easier and leave a smoother finish than the other ones made in Sweden! LOL

later guys, you Saito freaks you.
Jim

Jett

Last edited by the Wasp; 04-19-2022 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:29 PM
the Wasp

boy I like this one. put it on a minibike

Jim.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:17 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by the Wasp
boy I like this one. put it on a minibike

Jim.

https://youtu.be/RFCpqGco-hw
Hey Jim
I am cleaning house to raise money. I have six Radials (all nitro fueled) that you can bolt right on. Also plan on selling all my Saito singles, and one R450 nitro three cylinder. Alive and dead. All my O.S. singles and one five cylinder, alive and or dead. All my various two strokes, gas and nitro, alive or dead.
And unfortunately, the Claude from Gary's buddy. Flyable with the sweet running Saito 150 (or 180) never pulled the cowl to fully identify.
All going to flea Bay, excepting the non shippable Claude. Not intending to suffer and sniveling on RCU or any other "marketplace" sites.
Any of y'all interested may feel free to pm me. Not going to be selling many if any individual pieces excepting e bay listings.
Respectfully
Aaron
Old 04-20-2022, 11:45 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Aaron, good luck with the sales! If I had something in my hobby fund sock besides dead moths I would see what we could do. You will do better with the fat wallet crowd on E-Bay anyway.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:39 PM
Jesse Open

Yep Aaron

Some fine stuff there and from what I have seen, your prices are not at all fat connsidering.

Sure beats giving stuff away or "selling" to somebody who forgets to pay, then seeing it sell on-line for a fat price

I will give you a call on Claude, I can pick up sometime next week.

Nice thing about those methanol fueled Saito radials. They run well on that fuel
Old 04-20-2022, 06:19 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Hey Jim
I am cleaning house to raise money. I have six Radials (all nitro fueled) that you can bolt right on. Also plan on selling all my Saito singles, and one R450 nitro three cylinder. Alive and dead. All my O.S. singles and one five cylinder, alive and or dead. All my various two strokes, gas and nitro, alive or dead.
And unfortunately, the Claude from Gary's buddy. Flyable with the sweet running Saito 150 (or 180) never pulled the cowl to fully identify.
All going to flea Bay, excepting the non shippable Claude. Not intending to suffer and sniveling on RCU or any other "marketplace" sites.
Any of y'all interested may feel free to pm me. Not going to be selling many if any individual pieces excepting e bay listings.
Respectfully
Aaron

sorry you have to sell your engines, they are such a works of art. as the Claude is too. a very classy plane. I will PM you about the engines

Jim
Old 04-21-2022, 03:35 AM
1200SportsterRider

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Jim, this is my Microlux 7 x 14 lathe, what size is the one you show, Thanks, Dave

Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; 04-21-2022 at 03:48 AM. Reason: add Picture
Old 04-21-2022, 10:52 AM
the Wasp

Dave, mine is rated as a 9x20, but it closer to 8+x18+.

if you search YT you can find a lot of small lathe modification going around.

Jim
Old 04-22-2022, 10:26 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

A bit off topic, but maybe some amusement for you.Moved to The Camdenton, Mo area. We left the 7 this month pulling a 27 ft Travel Trailer. It was loaded with most of our kitchen supplies and other immediate needs. I had a shelve in the truck camper, more supplies in the bottom, my airplanes on top of the shelf. A small house dog and a young cat in the back seat. We had a friend in another vehicle also bring stuff.

I got a bad tank of diesel fuel in Arizona just before a long grade. Struggled up down in 2nd gear thinking hard about 1rst. Low turbo pressure, but al gauges dead on normal and no check engine lights. Made it over the top got more fuel and the truck ran great What a relieve.

Then Sunday morning in one moment I became and arsonist, a terrorist and very famous in Mclean Tx.

A tire came off the trailer hub and all. It bounced across the freeway and struck a big in in the driver side door. Then proceed to start a fir on both side of the freeway and the middle. That’s the terrorist part as it obviously scared the poor truck half to death. And the arsonist part, starting the grass fire.

I felt a big lurch when the tire cam off, and a car pulled up beside me waving to my trailer. I pulled off as far as I could get. Got out and saw the passenger side rear tire (dual axle trailer) missing and the axle bent, brake wires and parts dangling. Went back to the truck to tell my wife we had real problems. Then I looked back and saw smoke. A short while later I see a fire truck west bound followed by a police car. Great can’t get any worse can it? Oh wait, yeah it can. After the fire is put out the police car and fire truck pull in behind me. A deputy gets out and checks on us. We are fine. Then the firemen return my tire to me, and said here’s your tire back to me.

The deputy and fire men were more amused than anything else. Said it happens all the time. No fines or anything.

Then a big rig pulls in behind the parade

He shows me his truck side and said his ear still hurt, sounded like a bomb going off.

After a full exchange of info everybody else take off. We finally got a wrecker out from McLean. I am saying to myself that ain’t big enough for this job. But he makes sure nothing will be dragging and has us follow him into town at about 30mph. It was only about 5 miles to town.

Get into town and am shown were to park and drop the trailer. Others from the shop come out and say your that guy that started that fire.

So I started a fire, scared a poor trucker half to death and was well known in McLean, Tx.

We continued on our trip and arrive at our new home the 12.

A trip I never want to repeat. But hey at least it was not boring. You know what? I like BORING TRIPS.

Ken
Old 04-22-2022, 12:49 PM
Jesse Open

Yep,

Happens waaaaaaaaaaay toooooooo often!
Old 04-22-2022, 05:54 PM
the Wasp

boy, I'm glad you are safe and sound! and the trip is over. LOL now go fly, tomorrow is Saturday

Jim
Old 04-24-2022, 03:10 AM
1200SportsterRider

Someone was discussing Saito carbs a few pages back, here is a shot of the metering slot in the 182 carbs, I really like those metered carbs, they have clean mid ranges.

These early 65's also had metering slots.

Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; 04-24-2022 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Add picture
Old 04-24-2022, 11:05 AM
Gliath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito history

Can anyone help me with some Saito history. Recently acquired 3-40’s and 3-45’s. The are all different in some way. trying to figure out if these engines are worth collecting or just selling or have been tinkered with by others. Not sure if pictures are posted here as I keep getting a message that says I’m not allowed to post pictures till I have 10 posts… Just need some advice.

Jeremy
Old 04-24-2022, 11:10 AM
Glowgeek

Received 64 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliath
Can anyone help me with some Saito history. Recently acquired 3-40’s and 3-45’s. The are all different in some way. trying to figure out if these engines are worth collecting or just selling or have been tinkered with by others. Not sure if pictures are posted here as I keep getting a message that says I’m not allowed to post pictures till I have 10 posts… Just need some advice.

Jeremy
I don't know about collecting for display or investment but they sure do fly planes wonderfully. I have about a dozen powering various airframes.

But yes, the FA30 and FA45 went through several revisions. They all run great. The open rocker Saitos typically carry a higher price tag.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 04-24-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-24-2022, 02:31 PM
Jesse Open

If any of your FA-40 or FA-45 are tagged "Special" , they are well sought out (in the USA) and worth quite a bit more than the pedestrian versions.
The 45 Special is a real gem!
Old 04-25-2022, 04:06 AM
1200SportsterRider

You may check to see if some have removeable heads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.