Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 09-27-2022, 06:48 PM
Jesse Open

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Chrome bores with ringed pistons utilize a different surface finish to seat rings than used with plain, iron bores. They need just enough texture to retain oil and prevent burnishing which results in quickly glazing the bore and the ring face.

What Dave said earlier is pretty close. Do not "hone" the chrome. If /when the bore is glazed, a bit of dulling down is all that is needed.

These comments pertain to chrome bores only. Iron or Nikasil are different yet.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 09-27-2022 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:23 AM
1200SportsterRider

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Every Saito which I have rebuilt has had near zero leak compression whether I installed a used or a new RJM ring. I never hone one. I assembled a 56 yesterday with a new RJM ring and if turned slowly you best not let go of the prop because it's coming after your fingers.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:07 AM
Jesse Open

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by the Wasp View Post
OK, no honing. that is how my MVVS 35 came new, no honing

Jim
Yep, One of the finest chrome bores made.

Dave, I don't "hone" them either.
The few glazed bores do get the gloss knocked off. Just as we did when re-ringing in the shop with larger chrome bores in chainsaws snowmobiles etc that had chrome bores.

Hyjinx
Hope you had a good trip home last night. Two visits in less than a week! A new record.
I'm betting you put the cylinder on the Saito before you put the other cylinder on the 66 Pontiac.

Be patient with that Keleo. Use finger pressure only on those exhaust nuts. Easy to bugger the threads when you start coaxing with wrenches. Most people swear the thing will NEVER fit. They do. Once you start tweaking, all bets are off. Try loosening the the cylinders like we talked about. Maybe work in a star pattern like when tightening lug nuts .

Last edited by Jesse Open; 09-28-2022 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:23 AM
Hyjinx

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Open View Post
Yep, One of the finest chrome bores made.

Dave, I don't "hone" them either.
The few glazed bores do get the gloss knocked off. Just as we did when re-ringing in the shop with larger chrome bores in chainsaws snowmobiles etc that had chrome bores.

Aaron,
Hope you had a good trip home last night. Two visits in less than a week! A new record.
I'm betting you put the cylinder on the Saito before you put the other cylinder on the 66 Pontiac.

Be patient with that Keleo. Use finger pressure only on those exhaust nuts. Easy to bugger the threads when you start coaxing with wrenches. Most people swear the thing will NEVER fit. They do. Once you start tweaking, all bets are off. Try loosening the the cylinders like we talked about. Maybe work in a star pattern like when tightening lug nuts .
As always Gary, a great visit. You have been kind to me. I value our friendship. The base nuts on this bugger are snap off (or round out) torqued from the factory as usual. Have 16 to deal with sans the four I got out successfully to swap your cylinder with. Used to that procedure we discussed with Harley v twins. Plumber fitted early ohv heads and ring type pan head intake seal rings usually leak lean if you don't get pristine alignment. Even with shovelhead bands over the OEM o rings.
Have to follow the procedure religiously. Even in the parking lot tear down at the closed thirby auto parts store in Mesick on one of the rides home from Arcadia a couple seasons ago. Seriously, a pain the the butt.
The ring will not be much of a challenge. I am a patient person while I wait for healing. I am supposed to not stress myself for a couple months. Hence all the driving around for parts for projects that have been collecting dust for a while.
God bless you for the kindness and fellowship.
I listed the first of my radial engines I intend to sell on the forum entitled UMS Evolution radial care and .. for 800. It is my Evo 7-77. It was 1199.00 new ( as I recall from horizon hobby)
There will be a complete American made Morton M-5 with the A serial number and aluminum adjustable pitch prop also a complete on a run stand American made Technopower 9-90 also offered also.
The three engines may go as a package for 3500 cash dollars to a legitimate buyer unless the Evo sells first to someone one the other thread.
I may sell off several Saito and OS singles also. As well as some larger gas two strokes.
None of my engines with the exception of the glow singles and gas two strokes will be marketed on e bay. All sales of my radials will be face to face for cash currency
​​​​​​at my bank in Chelsea Michigan. No exceptions.
I sent an open check to Adrian for the seven cylinder and a conversion kit for my German 7-77 I mentioned last night. I intend to fully fund it within a month.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:29 AM
Hyjinx

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyjinx View Post
As always Gary, a great visit. You have been kind to me. I value our friendship. The base nuts on this bugger are snap off (or round out) torqued from the factory as usual. Have 16 to deal with sans the four I got out successfully to swap your cylinder with. Used to that procedure we discussed with Harley v twins. Plumber fitted early ohv heads and ring type pan head intake seal rings usually leak lean if you don't get pristine alignment. Even with shovelhead bands over the OEM o rings.
Have to follow the procedure religiously. Even in the parking lot tear down at the closed thirby auto parts store in Mesick on one of the rides home from Arcadia a couple seasons ago. Seriously, a pain the the butt.
The ring will not be much of a challenge. I am a patient person while I wait for healing. I am supposed to not stress myself for a couple months. Hence all the driving around for parts for projects that have been collecting dust for a while.
God bless you for the kindness and fellowship.
I listed the first of my radial engines I intend to sell on the forum entitled UMS Evolution radial care and .. for 800. It is my Evo 7-77. It was 1199.00 new ( as I recall from horizon hobby)
There will be a complete American made Morton M-5 with the A serial number and aluminum adjustable pitch prop also a complete on a run stand American made Technopower 9-90 also offered also.
The three engines may go as a package for 3500 cash dollars to a legitimate buyer unless the Evo sells first to someone one the other thread.
I may sell off several Saito and OS singles also. As well as some larger gas two strokes.
None of my engines with the exception of the glow singles and gas two strokes will be marketed on e bay. All sales of my radials will be face to face for cash currency
​​​​​​at my bank in Chelsea Michigan. No exceptions.
I sent an open check to Adrian for the seven cylinder and a conversion kit for my German 7-77 I mentioned last night. I intend to fully fund it within a month.
The 66 Pontiac needs to go to. Runs, moves and stops. Fully equipped with rust and a few frame rot repairs for 2500 with temporary tires and wheels. I am keeping the rally wheels at this price. Also cash, no dickering at this price. 3500 if someone feels like they want to " negotiate" to get something for nothing. Lol