Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 11-19-2022, 04:31 AM
  #53276  
1200SportsterRider
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 740
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

95V bore==1.142"
Stroke=====.929
R x R===.326041 x PI 3.3141 x new stroke of .98 would create a displacement of 1.00380 cubic inch. Well, why not?

The Saito 100
Bore===1.14"
Stroke==1.02"

Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; 11-19-2022 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Add content.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:40 AM
  #53277  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,138
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

Sweet.....A 100V. Now if they would just replace that big 2 stroke looking muffler with something smaller a more flexible.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:58 AM
  #53278  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,251
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek View Post
Sweet.....A 100V. Now if they would just replace that big 2 stroke looking muffler with something smaller a more flexible.

Yeah, and the muffler should prove no major hurdle. Easy enough to make whatever suits better or adapt just about anything.

But ugly as it is: the muffler does work well.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:31 PM
  #53279  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,138
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open View Post
Yeah, and the muffler should prove no major hurdle. Easy enough to make whatever suits better or adapt just about anything.

But ugly as it is: the muffler does work well.
I hear they're pretty quite but haven't heard one myself. I guess the giant exhaust pooper is necessary to meet the noise abatement rules at some fields, some of them so strict that an electric with the wrong prop can land you at the exit.

"major hurdle" is subjective. If I can't use the factory exhaust it would be a major hurdle in my book, I'm paying for it after all. So far I've had little trouble using Saito's factory cast exhaust. One of my planes needed a 90 adaptor, a couple use silicone exhaust extensions but overall they are quite flexible WRT positioning. The old style straight entry Saito and OS ones work nearly as well.

I recently acquired a big block 4 stroke Pitts muffler for Saito, Slimline I think. May use that on my Sig 1/4 Cub, the 2 stroke has got to go! A gas converted FA-180 should do the trick.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:06 PM
  #53280  
1200SportsterRider
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 740
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Saito 50 in black painted by me.
Fuel======S&W 15% with 17% full syn
Plug======Glo-Devil 4c special
Prop======Xoar 12 x 6
Exhaust===Stock made revised by me.
Ambient temperature==40-f
Max rpm after 8 oz burned===10,140
Idle=====================2,200
It accelerates quickly in the midrange, it smokes more than some, that seems to be a characteristic to the 50's.

Running about 6,000 rpm.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:17 PM
  #53281  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,138
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

Nice Dave. Looks good and runs good too.

40f.....??? Burrrr

There you go Jim, if Dave can handle it so can you! Let's see that 91 run!

Last edited by Glowgeek; 11-19-2022 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 03:20 AM
  #53282  
1200SportsterRider
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 740
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

It flip started fairly well, I did not use the electric starter. I'm not happy with the idle yet, but I'll get it. It puffs smoke at idle almost making smoke rings, as we discussed on the phone.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:54 PM
  #53283  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,251
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek View Post
I hear they're pretty quite but haven't heard one myself. I guess the giant exhaust pooper is necessary to meet the noise abatement rules at some fields, some of them so strict that an electric with the wrong prop can land you at the exit.

"major hurdle" is subjective. If I can't use the factory exhaust it would be a major hurdle in my book, I'm paying for it after all. So far I've had little trouble using Saito's factory cast exhaust. One of my planes needed a 90 adaptor, a couple use silicone exhaust extensions but overall they are quite flexible WRT positioning. The old style straight entry Saito and OS ones work nearly as well.

I recently acquired a big block 4 stroke Pitts muffler for Saito, Slimline I think. May use that on my Sig 1/4 Cub, the 2 stroke has got to go! A gas converted FA-180 should do the trick.

The OS is on par with Saito mufflers. Point being factory mufflers are often just a starting point, rarely does one design fit all applications.
These are simple pipes with various threads, easily fabricated and adapted. Even folks without the needed tools often have friends that can and will help.
Anyhow, exhaust system mods are far from uncommon.The OS muffler is not terribly unlike most others.


If the exhaust is your main concern, there must be very little to worry over

Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-20-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:56 PM
  #53284  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,160
Likes: 0
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

my older brother's friend had a Chopper shop for years and years, he sold pipes like the one in my pic, one was a glass pack. the other, #2, was just an empty chamber with what I will call a "big Washer" welled-in right where the chamber starts to enlarge. so the exhaust goes through the washer hole into the empty chamber, then into the stinger pipe.

I have often wondered how pipe #2 would sound on a Saito
Jim

Old 11-20-2022, 06:59 PM
  #53285  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,138
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open View Post
The OS is on par with Saito mufflers. Point being factory mufflers are often just a starting point, rarely does one design fit all applications.
These are simple pipes with various threads, easily fabricated and adapted. Even folks without the needed tools often have friends that can and will help.
Anyhow, exhaust system mods are far from uncommon.The OS muffler is not terribly unlike most others.


If the exhaust is your main concern, there must be very little to worry over
Your opinion, not mine. I can't agree with any of those generalizations.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:19 AM
  #53286  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,251
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

Still, they are all quite true and accurate observations


The OS muffler is just another variation; still a bulb on the end of a pipe. Simple to change at will.







Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-21-2022 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:33 AM
  #53287  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,251
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp View Post
my older brother's friend had a Chopper shop for years and years, he sold pipes like the one in my pic, one was a glass pack. the other, #2, was just an empty chamber with what I will call a "big Washer" welled-in right where the chamber starts to enlarge. so the exhaust goes through the washer hole into the empty chamber, then into the stinger pipe.

I have often wondered how pipe #2 would sound on a Saito
Jim

Ah yes, the "shorty"!

Originated in a Detroit shop by Jim Miteff back in the Golden Ages! Soon copied and found on bikes around the world. Usually just enough muffler action to stave off a ticket, unless of course you had really perturbed the arresting officer!
Old 11-22-2022, 01:52 PM
  #53288  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,160
Likes: 0
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open View Post
Ah yes, the "shorty"!

Originated in a Detroit shop by Jim Miteff back in the Golden Ages! Soon copied and found on bikes around the world. Usually just enough muffler action to stave off a ticket, unless of course you had really perturbed the arresting officer!
so Gary, could you make me one for my 91? or 2 for my 100T LOL.

Jim
Old 11-22-2022, 02:26 PM
  #53289  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,160
Likes: 0
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

more on my 91.
well, yesterday I picked up my 91 and it had oil around the case where the case mates to the cylinder. I remembered I only snugged the screws with my metric Wiha driver. same goes for the cam housing screws. so I tightened down all 8 screws with an Alen wrench. well. she turned over smoother. today. no oil. so I put a F plug in it and turned it over a few times. pulled the plug and my God she even turned over smoother. happy happy I am.
all possible thanks to Lonnie!
sorry Lonnie I won't sell it LOL

sorry, it's a no go for me to run the engine in the cold. I was always out in the cold winter in days past. I even put in telephone poles for a while. and I was always out in the snow in that Willys jeep. my God that stearin wheel was cold with no heat. you would think I would have got tougher, but the cold really bothers my hands.
Jim
Old 11-22-2022, 05:28 PM
  #53290  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,251
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

Can't hold that against you!
Hard rubber wheel on a steel core, pretty darn cold. Just a few years ago I was still riding the Guzzis to work, even in single digit temperatures.
Now I get up, make a pot of coffee and wish I still was.

What plane is it going into?


Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-23-2022 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:49 AM
  #53291  
Hyjinx
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 849
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Smartest thing Mitch Dulinski (son of a B25 radio man in WW2) ever imparted to me fer wenchin on model plane engines. We termed Dick, Mitches dad "The Flight Captain".
The good old boy got both of us hooked on RC planes. LolMiches Super Stearman bears his dad's title under the rear cockpit. It runs a Saito R60.
Recognize anything in the pics Gary. Thanks to you Buddy.
Happy Thanksgiving Saito Heads!


Old 11-23-2022, 11:56 AM
  #53292  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,160
Likes: 0
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open View Post
Can't hold that against you!
Hard rubber wheel on a steel core, pretty darn cold. Just a few years ago I was still riding the Guzzis to work, even in single digit temperatures.
Now I get up, make a pot of coffee and wish I still was.

What plane is it going into?
oops, my son's Midget Mustang.

Jim
Old 11-23-2022, 12:24 PM
  #53293  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,160
Likes: 0
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

hey guys, you know I had this box at my doorstep one day. I didn't order anything. it was just there one day, that was some 6 months ago, could have been longer. will last week I put together these 2 engines. the 2 cylinders had their pistons in them so last week I finely put them together. the pic of the box shows what parts I have left.
both engines are HP 40's. both engines have steel liners with metal pistons. LOL metal pistons? what does that mean? LOL. the bearing are great, nice and smooth. well I wanted to buy a new ABC Liner & lapped Piston but $70 in parts for an engine I will most likely never fly is too much. but for sure I plan to run them on the stand next summer. I have all new rings for their carbs, all I need is a muffler.
I can't wait to run the rear carb version. LOL now you know where some of my 30% is going.

Jim
PS, don't tell Pete about this. we don't want to upset him LOL



oops, almost forgot. thanks Gary!
Old 11-23-2022, 12:53 PM
  #53294  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,160
Likes: 0
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Gobble-Gobble everyone. have a great day tomorrow and every day there after!!
Jim
Old 11-23-2022, 03:33 PM
  #53295  
Monty Python
Senior Member
 
Monty Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 140
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp View Post
hey guys, you know I had this box at my doorstep one day. I didn't order anything. it was just there one day, that was some 6 months ago, could have been longer. will last week I put together these 2 engines. the 2 cylinders had their pistons in them so last week I finely put them together. the pic of the box shows what parts I have left.
both engines are HP 40's. both engines have steel liners with metal pistons. LOL metal pistons? what does that mean? LOL. the bearing are great, nice and smooth. well I wanted to buy a new ABC Liner & lapped Piston but $70 in parts for an engine I will most likely never fly is too much. but for sure I plan to run them on the stand next summer. I have all new rings for their carbs, all I need is a muffler.
I can't wait to run the rear carb version. LOL now you know where some of my 30% is going.

Jim
PS, don't tell Pete about this. we don't want to upset him LOL



oops, almost forgot. thanks Gary!
Gaaaah!!
Old 11-23-2022, 06:35 PM
  #53296  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,251
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

I only sent it to you Jim because I didn't have an address for you know who!


(Pete)
Old 11-23-2022, 07:02 PM
  #53297  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,160
Likes: 0
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Lol
Old 11-24-2022, 02:40 AM
  #53298  
1200SportsterRider
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 740
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

I have this similarly constructed Super Tigre 40, it has some super duper compression.

Old 11-24-2022, 01:54 PM
  #53299  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,251
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

Yessir Dave, that's a beauty.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:19 PM
  #53300  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,160
Likes: 0
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

oo, I like the rear carb engines, you don't see many

Jim

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.