Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 11-13-2023, 01:37 PM
  #54426  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,647
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Glad for you that the 56 runs good. HY? How do they compare to an APC, MA or Xoar?
Old 11-13-2023, 01:42 PM
  #54427  
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,177
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

I know of no criteria on which to base prop performance beyond, if they make my plane go, they're good. Honest

The image loader seams to be broken.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:05 PM
  #54428  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,431
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Outstanding!

Dave has his Cams custom made for his engines.

LOL
Old 11-15-2023, 03:03 AM
  #54429  
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,177
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Image loader

Is the image loader working for you gents? Thanks
Old 11-15-2023, 05:24 AM
  #54430  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,228
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

Looks like it but you can't add an image in the edit function.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:48 AM
  #54431  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,647
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

I can't zoom on images and everyone's profile is showing. Definitely something going on here.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:55 AM
  #54432  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,847
Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

For the sake of comparison I try to use the more broadly available, commonly used props for posted results. APC usually gets the nod.
I do have some Toledo RC Show Whiz-Bangers that turn up at very impressive numbers.

The attachment option is not showing up here.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:07 AM
  #54433  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,228
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

I was having a problem with the user profile selection being cut off for days and then it cleared this morning.
Old 11-15-2023, 07:44 PM
  #54434  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,431
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

let's see ,,,,

yee-up. nicely too.

Jim

Old 11-16-2023, 05:22 AM
  #54435  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,228
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

OH! I want to come to your picnic!

Originally Posted by the Wasp
let's see ,,,,

yee-up. nicely too.

Jim
Old 11-16-2023, 06:15 AM
  #54436  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,847
Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
let's see ,,,,

yee-up. nicely too.

Jim
Looks like you have quite a dish there Jim.
I have a fine carburetor to get that one up and running!
Old 11-16-2023, 08:12 PM
  #54437  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,431
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Looks like you have quite a dish there Jim.
I have a fine carburetor to get that one up and running!
I have the Carb, actually I have both. gas and glow Carbs.

this one has only been run 6 times. 6 flights, so, as far as I know the tank has been filled 6 times or less. LOL

I will have to get pics of the Rockers, the intake Rocker is clean, the exhaust is just a bit darker.

I have 3 thoughts about it,
1) keep it, but it will never fly because of my eyes.
2) sell it. but keep the Ignition for the 100GK I got from my good friend Dave. this 100GK engine will never be sold.
3) sell it with the Ignition.

Jim
Old 11-17-2023, 01:55 PM
  #54438  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,847
Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
I have the Carb, actually I have both. gas and glow Carbs.

this one has only been run 6 times. 6 flights, so, as far as I know the tank has been filled 6 times or less. LOL

I will have to get pics of the Rockers, the intake Rocker is clean, the exhaust is just a bit darker.

I have 3 thoughts about it,
1) keep it, but it will never fly because of my eyes.
2) sell it. but keep the Ignition for the 100GK I got from my good friend Dave. this 100GK engine will never be sold.
3) sell it with the Ignition.

Jim
Good deal, still has the methanol carb!
All three options are winners.
Old 11-30-2023, 03:56 AM
  #54439  
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,177
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

The joke is on me, a couple of days ago I pulled this fuse off the shelf where it had sat for a about a year after I assembled it. Under it was a manual for a Sig Four Star 20. I thought, what a great place four a Saito FA 40-a. And, there it is. Yesterday I bolted the wing on and got a shock, the wing says Four Star 54. Hmmmm, so after scrounging a new set of mounts, a Saito 56 sits there, I have to re-rig the throttle and move the battery back a little. A good laugh on me.

Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; 12-01-2023 at 02:47 AM.
Old 11-30-2023, 05:53 AM
  #54440  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,228
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

I can neither confirm or deny I have ever committed a similar offense!
Old 11-30-2023, 09:25 AM
  #54441  
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 2,635
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1200SportsterRider
I ran my rebuilt Saito 56 today.

Fuel Wildcat 10% full syn.
Prop=====HY 12 x 6
Plug=====Glow DEVIL 4C Special
Exhaust==stock cast muffler
Mx rpm===10,080
Idle 1,400
I finally got a FA-65. I have used 12x6 on the 56, and think a 13x6 should do for the 65.
Am I all wet?

The 56 is on an old Top Flite (?) cub and won't do a good clean Immelmann and I think it might with a 65.

Last edited by Jim Branaum; 11-30-2023 at 09:26 AM. Reason: add stuff
Old 11-30-2023, 09:56 AM
  #54442  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,847
Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Congrats on the FA-65, quite a workhorse in the Saito line-up
The 13 x 6 is a good all around prop, you may want to try a 14 x 5 as well.

By all means please let us know how you like it
Old 11-30-2023, 10:53 AM
  #54443  
 
kmeyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 991
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
I finally got a FA-65. I have used 12x6 on the 56, and think a 13x6 should do for the 65.
Am I all wet?

The 56 is on an old Top Flite (?) cub and won't do a good clean Immelmann and I think it might with a 65.
I like to fly one of my cubs as scale as possible sometimes. So for an Immelmann (with a cub), I try to make it look like the energy runs completely out at the 12 o'clock, the plane falls (nose down inverted) builds a little speed then rolls out.
I had a friend who flew cubs (full scale) and said you would start such a maneuver with a shallow dive and would only hit 50% of the time. I also have to use coordinated rudder for the roll to even work.
Still working on my sig 1/4 scale Cub conversion from from SuperTiger 3250 glow to home made Saito 180 glow to gas.

Lots of good stuff for that conversion in this thread.
Thanks guys

PS the ST 3250 could hover the 17 pound Cub

Last edited by kmeyers; 11-30-2023 at 10:55 AM. Reason: PS
Old 11-30-2023, 04:01 PM
  #54444  
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 2,635
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kmeyers
I like to fly one of my cubs as scale as possible sometimes. So for an Immelmann (with a cub), I try to make it look like the energy runs completely out at the 12 o'clock, the plane falls (nose down inverted) builds a little speed then rolls out.
I had a friend who flew cubs (full scale) and said you would start such a maneuver with a shallow dive and would only hit 50% of the time. I also have to use coordinated rudder for the roll to even work.
Still working on my sig 1/4 scale Cub conversion from from SuperTiger 3250 glow to home made Saito 180 glow to gas.

Lots of good stuff for that conversion in this thread.
Thanks guys

PS the ST 3250 could hover the 17 pound Cub
Yep! He who does not coordinate the rudder on a cub is missing a whole lot of capability and f un. I tried the dive and pull and manage to get over the top but there just is not enough energy to get the roll out. It looks real nasty most of the time and falls out during the roll. This is a full winged bird. I hope the 65 will help, but it will be February before I get to find out. I probably will have to add wing tip skids (Goldberg tape) as I keep dragging the tips on my way around. Fun times.
The following users liked this post:
desmobob (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 04:03 PM
  #54445  
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (21)
 
SigMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boonville, IN
Posts: 1,176
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

FG-21, is this a good gasser ?

Old 11-30-2023, 05:58 PM
  #54446  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,847
Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Tip dragging turns and slow figure eights are made for one another. The Saito four stroke sound is just icing on the cake.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-30-2023 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-30-2023, 07:33 PM
  #54447  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Whitehall, NY
Posts: 612
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
Yep! He who does not coordinate the rudder on a cub is missing a whole lot of capability and f un. I tried the dive and pull and manage to get over the top but there just is not enough energy to get the roll out. It looks real nasty most of the time and falls out during the roll. This is a full winged bird. I hope the 65 will help, but it will be February before I get to find out. I probably will have to add wing tip skids (Goldberg tape) as I keep dragging the tips on my way around. Fun times.
I agree about the Cub's rudder. Using it coordinated for turns, and more fun yet, heavy application for slipping, is much fun.

And I think learning to use the rudder subconsciously is one of those R/C flight skill milestones like subconscious control reversal when flying toward yourself.

One of my all-time favorite models was an inexpensive World Models Cub .40 ARF. I put a sweet Saito .56 in it and flew it countless hours until I lost it doing something really stupid...

A good buddy of mine worked the afternoon shift and the decommissioned dirt strip airport where I flew R/C was on his way to work. If he knew I was flying, he'd leave a bit early so he could stop by, watch, and chat. One day, I knew he was going to stop by. I happened to have the Cub flying when I saw his car turn and come down the runway. I flew around behind his car and then flew up behind him low and slow, catching him as I rolled inverted and passed just over his roof and out in front of him, the inverted Cub leading him down the runway. As the car got up next to where I was standing, my heart went up into my throat when I saw two elderly ladies in the car; it was not my buddy!

I got so freaked out I crashed the plane and totaled it. I immediately ordered a replacement. But it just did not have the same wonderful flying characteristics as the first one. I checked it all over carefully, measuring and double-checking and could find no faults or issues. It just did not have the magic that first one had. The Saito .56 seemed to be the perfect power plant for it.

Last edited by desmobob; 11-30-2023 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 02:46 AM
  #54448  
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,177
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SigMan

FG-21, is this a good gasser ?

Sig, if I could judge by comparing the FG 21 to my FG 11, I'd have to say yes, it is very smooth and never misses a beat.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:25 AM
  #54449  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,647
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SigMan

FG-21, is this a good gasser ?

Absolutely, I have three FG21's, they all run flawlessly. Power output is similar to an FA-115 on 15% nitro, although noticeably quieter.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:42 AM
  #54450  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,847
Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Another option would be an FA-115 with CDI and zero nitro, methanol fuel.
I have had excellent results converting the older FG-20 to methanol while retaining the CDI spark.
Runs considerably cooler than the gasoline version and puts out more power. Transition is perfect. The zero nitro fuel works fine.
An FA-125 may be readily fitted witth a CH CDI system.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.