Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

w8ye ha thats a great site thanks! order up some bearings for my 56 and at a good price. c-crunch
Old 10-06-2007, 10:27 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just received a couple sets of Saito 56 bearings from them today.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed the carb from another Saito 82 and it still won't run! When cranking I see the fuel shoot up the line to the carb so I believe the fuel supply is fine. Even after cranking for 10 seconds, the plug is dry. I'm beginning to think that vodoo did some damage while it was in storage for 1 week! I would throw it in the garbage can except now it's a challenge to find the problem. ;- )

Phillip

EDIT: compression is very good
Old 10-06-2007, 01:28 PM
w8ye

Phillop,

Just send that 82 to me. I'll do something with it?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Phillop,

Just send that 82 to me. I'll do something with it?
I would but you are a nice guy and I wouldn't want you to have my grief!!! (Bad karma and such)

Seriously, I am out of things to try. Any suggestions other than taking it to the aluminum recycling plant?
Phillip
Old 10-06-2007, 02:50 PM
w8ye

As regards the 82, one thing that has not been mentioned is the possibility of a intake manifold leak. . . . .

The 72 and 82 have the plastic back plate and the plastic mashes out from under the screws and becomes loose. This in the long run lets the intake pipe jump in and out of the head or at least vibrate at this point. And in turn wears out the Viton O ring at that point and creates the most exasperating vacuum leak that ever troubled anyone. It is usually very inconsistent and hard to pin down. But will cause erratic fuel draw and mixture problems.

The fix is to replace the intake manifold seals at the head and the carburetor and to put washers around the back plate bolts and to tighten them down.

Both BLW and I have experienced this with our 72's but our 82's do not have enough time on them to have experienced this phenomena.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:52 PM
w8ye

It also helps to put some silicone around the joint at the head during assembly with the new O-ring but make certain that no silicone gets into the running part of the engine.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

ORIGINAL: w8ye

It also helps to put some silicone around the joint at the head during assembly with the new O-ring but make certain that no silicone gets into the running part of the engine.
I had silicone on it but I cleaned it off and installed new o-rings in both ends of the intake pipe.
STILL WON"T START!
Phillip
Old 10-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

After 10 hours of labor and raw fingers I found the problem! BAD FUEL!!! I just bought a fresh gallon of Wildcat 20/20 YS 4 stroke fuel, the same I've been running for several years and after switching motors that was the only remaining possibility. I am so pissed off I'm turning blue from lack of oxygen. :-O I wasted a trip to the field and half a weekend diagnosing somebody else's mistake! Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions. Maybe someone can benefit from my ordeal.
Phillip
Old 10-06-2007, 06:28 PM
w8ye

The higher the nitro level in your fuel the more sensitive to sunlight it is. Keep your fuel in the dark!

Severely exposed fuel will frustrate the day lights out of you. You cannot ever get the needle set and if you do, the plane will quit on take or shortly there after.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

I purchased the fuel just last week and the LHS does keep a fresh supply. I would say that he sells out at least once a month. How could the fuel be so bad that the motor wouldn't even start? It doesn't sound possible.
Phillip
Old 10-06-2007, 07:18 PM
w8ye

The one you got wasn't fresh. Been setting under the fluorescent lights for a year or so.

Ultra violet light is what messes up the nitro. The light emission from fluorescents lights is pure ultraviolet light from the Mercury vapor. It activates the phosphor coating inside the lamp and therefore the lamp emits light in the color temperature ranges from 3500 degrees Kelvin to 6500 degrees Kelvin.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

w8ye,
That's probably what happened. Have you heard of this before? I thought that a 4C would actually run on very low or possibly no nitro in the fuel. Just to double verify my findings, a friend is willing to try the same batch in his Saito 1.25 tomorrow.
Phillip
Old 10-06-2007, 07:39 PM
w8ye

I learned all this the hard way 3 or four years ago. I went through fits with fuel that wasn't but a month old but had been out in the sunlight everyday. I got out some old fuel that had been sealed up in the dark for 3 years and the engines ran perfect.

I buy my fuel by the case and still sealed up in the case. I keep the fuel closed up in the box until I get one gallon out and put it in a metal gallon can. Now my metal can may set out in the sun but I try to keep a rag thrown over it to keep the temperature down.

I haven't had any trouble since.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

boy that sounds like when i worked at the LHS and kids would buy a new rc car and they would go home run it for a couple of times, leving the lid off and seting in the sun the hole time. by the 5th or 6th tank thay would bring it back and say the thing is junk. me i just loved to dumping out the fuel, put new in and have it run like a top. makes you look good! ha ha.

jimmey i would have never thout of that with airplane guys, you just dont think of that problem. we all go throw fuel to fast to have it.
glad you found it and are able to go flying. we all lernd a little to day. c-crunch
Old 10-06-2007, 09:05 PM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing about bad fuel- it contaminates the plastic jug. I've know guys to pour out the fuel and pour in some new fuel only to have that go bad too. If the fuel is bad, toss the jug and don't reuse it.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Vinnie6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two Saito 91S's. Great engines. One is in a Sig AstroHog and the other was in a Yellow Extra300L and is now being installed in a Great Planes Super Skybolt ARF inverted with on-board glow. I run Wildcat Premium Xtra 15% with an ounce of Sig castor oil added for good measure.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Capt Lou

Jimmy Hoffa:

I have a FA-65 engine in a Tiger 60 and have been running Power Master 20/20 fuel only since I put it in service. The engine starts on the first turn and runs great. I have started on my fourth gallon of fuel and haven't had to adjust the valves. This fuel is expensive but performance wise I got my monies worth.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Jimmy Hoffa

ORIGINAL: Capt Lou

Jimmy Hoffa:

I have a FA-65 engine in a Tiger 60 and have been running Power Master 20/20 fuel only since I put it in service. The engine starts on the first turn and runs great. I have started on my fourth gallon of fuel and haven't had to adjust the valves. This fuel is expensive but performance wise I got my monies worth.
Thanks Cap'n,
My bad fuel is the same brand and blend that I've been running for over a year. I guess I just got a old gallon of it because it's always been very good. I also have friends that use it with no problem. I'll look for the Power Master 20/20 at my LHS. I learn something new all the time and hopefully others have as well.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible to get fuel that is of marginal quality but still allows the engine to at least start?
Phillip
Old 10-07-2007, 10:27 AM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad fuel will crank engines a lot of times, but they run poorly with erratic results.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:53 AM
sneakywrist
My Feedback: (19)

I was wondering if the 91 four stroke would be too much for the Kadet Senior.....any problems with installing it.....i want the ARF version....trying to gather all my info
Old 10-07-2007, 11:12 AM
w8ye

The Saito 91 Four stroke fits the Kadet Senior just fine with a minimum of modification.

The plane still flies about the same.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:04 PM
boogermancan

lol i come out to the r/c club with a can of traxxas fuel can but that is not what's in it if i could get my hands on some blue fuel dye i would have them going. my Hangar 9 Tribute 4D 36 has the fuel tank out side. its handy to be able to see how much fuel you have in it .... <<< is it true you can no longer get a saito 45 in the us . and dose any one have the spec on it,s bolt down size with and wide or is it the same as the 40 i see it on the web page the carb looks back not good were im going to put it >>> .it looks like a fa-40 will be what i want to put in my tribute going to find a converter for 300g to 10.3 oz find who is heaver and by how much .the motor that comes in the plug and play .its all most all it can do to hover it . a tad bit more power is all that it has to climb up it has a macs pipe on it . it sounds good but it has no rumble and i must have rumble <<edit i see it is no longer hear >>>>[]
Old 10-07-2007, 12:22 PM
w8ye

Use the physical dimensions for the Saito 56 for your 45

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SAIE056
Old 10-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Capt Lou

ORIGINAL: alucid1

I was wondering if the 91 four stroke would be too much for the Kadet Senior.....any problems with installing it.....i want the ARF version....trying to gather all my info
I flew a Kadet Senior with an O.S. .50 two stroke. It is a nice flying plane but overpowering it doesn't do too much for you as the wing bottom is flat and with its diehedral it will just want to climb like any other trainer. My recollection is that my plane (which was a kit) called for a .40 two stroke so I upped the engine. It is a fun plane to fly and the ARF comes with ailerons which I didn't have in my kit. If you want to put a smaller Saito in it, I have a brand new in the box Saito FA-72 that I am willing to trade for a new 91S plus some cash. If you are interested let me know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.