Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:08 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

Hey W8ye.
I just called a local bearing company and he knew what those numbers you said ment and he's got them in stock.
However, interestingly, he pointed out that the front bearing is imperial and back bearing metric??????

He says the rear bearing he has is sealed, but will remove the seal for me to make it open like you say, even if the bearing I'm taking out and horizon hobby show a sealed or part sealed rear bearing according to the picture I posted above.

$12.55 from him, thats the best I'm going to get here in rip off britain!!

You are saying all the correct words.

I'm glad you found them locally

Made in Japan is good

Old 04-29-2010, 11:11 AM
w8ye

There's a picture of the 82 crank here

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAI82A23

You can see the step for the bearing
Old 04-29-2010, 09:19 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned the following engines, all ran well. .30, .40, .80, .91S, 1.25, 1.80 singles. I have a used .90twin I need to rebuild(bought used) so I haven't run it. Anyone out there have experience and advice on a twin rebuild? I have a Glastar just waiting for the twin .90!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:20 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MAGIC ENGINE CLEANER !!!!! Yes I have the magic formula for the world's best glo-engine cleaner. But first I must confess, I am not a Saito club member. I own about 35 glo-engines, all 2 strokes except one, which is a Saito 120 mounted in my Rascal 110. What a great combo!!! The engine runs like a fine Swiss watch and the airframe flys like a dream. This is the top dog in my hanger. I would like more Saitos but cost makes me run a varity of OS, MDS,Thunder Tiger,and Super Tigers. All good for the $, but none as sweet as the 120 Saito. I have a Dynaflite Super cub 1/4 scale kit waiting in my stash to be built, maybe if my Social Security goes up I can swing another Saito for it (125 this time). Oh, Obama froze the SS payments this year, guess that kit will just have to wait on the self a little longer. Oh well, here is the secret cleaner. My wife buys it for me at Wal-mart, yes Wal-mart. It's a household cleaning product made for cleaning pots and pans that have baked on or burned on messes. "Dawn" is the brand,"Power Dissolver" is the product. It comes in a 12.8 oz spray bottle that is blue in color with a white spray head. Spray it on, let it soak for just a few mins., scrub lightly with an old toothbrush, rince with clear water and dry it. If the deposits arn't real bad one application will get it off, sometimes a second try with scrubbing is required. It realy does a nice job with no costic damage to the finish. They look like new! Try it you will like it. Good luck and good landings
Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

I have owned and ran the following singles with excellent results: .30, .40, .80,.91S, 1.25, 1.80. I have a .90 twin I bought used that needs a rebuild, so I haven't run it. Anyone out there have experience with twin rebuilds? I have a Glastar just waiting for the twin! Mike
Old 04-29-2010, 10:14 PM
MAAC

Anyone find a 4 blade prop for the Saito 200ti?
It would be nice in a Hanger 150 P-51
Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> the front has rubber seals on both sides >>>

Jim, does that mean the front 82 bearing has built in lube that lasts a lifetime? And adding afterrun oil doesn't do much for the front bearing then?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 04-29-2010, 11:49 PM
w8ye

Ernie

From my experience it doesn't much matter if the inside seal is removed or left in place. Oil seems to get in there anyway.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

http://www.zingerpropeller.com/4_bladed_propeller.htm

Here you go, Joe Zingali will get it to you very quickly once you pick one and order.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do both bearings but the front ones always seem fine.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Hobbsy

Ern, to clarify matters I injected Corrosion X into the vent on my ole .80 and as expected CX came right out through the front bearing. When I did this to a new .56GK no oil would come out. Note foam behind prop driver in photo #1.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71708.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1428353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87606.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1428354  
Old 04-30-2010, 09:04 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both of you guys have been drafted into the Saito club!!!!!

52larry52 member # 685

rcmichael member #686
Old 04-30-2010, 09:54 AM
gwoodward

I bought new bearings for my Saito 100 from Boca bearings. Thet sell two grades. The standard set is 11.88 pair. They also sell a high heat / high speed set for 35.00. I put the bearings in the freezer and heated the block to 325. The bearings slipped right in. That seems to have fixed the vibration problem.

Thanks, Spaceworm

I have a second problem maybe you guys can help. I bought the side mount pitts style muffler for my Saito 100 from slimline. The muffler is melting a divit in my engine mount. I've called slimline 4 times and have not gotten a return call. Any ideas?

Glenn
Old 04-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Hobbsy

Glenn, I just read on another network that others are having the same problem, Tower is delaying back orders from them one month at a time.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Sharpeye22

ORIGINAL: rcmichael

I have owned and ran the following singles with excellent results: .30, .40, .80,.91S, 1.25, 1.80. I have a .90 twin I bought used that needs a rebuild, so I haven't run it. Anyone out there have experience with twin rebuilds? I have a Glastar just waiting for the twin! Mike
I have a scratch built F82 Twin Mustange. It sports two Saito 56 with one counter rotating. I am using the twin sync from Troy Built Models with great success. It is the one in my Avitar. What are you looking to know?

Sharpeye
Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 AM
mk1spitfire

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Hey W8ye.
I just called a local bearing company and he knew what those numbers you said ment and he's got them in stock.
However, interestingly, he pointed out that the front bearing is imperial and back bearing metric??????

He says the rear bearing he has is sealed, but will remove the seal for me to make it open like you say, even if the bearing I'm taking out and horizon hobby show a sealed or part sealed rear bearing according to the picture I posted above.

$12.55 from him, thats the best I'm going to get here in rip off britain!!

You are saying all the correct words.

I'm glad you found them locally

Made in Japan is good

Job done, Both bearings changed on the saito 82.!! Big thanks to Rod,Ash for spotting issue.

Heres a little video of getting that front prop driver off. Used an industrial puller to release the little sucker.
My mate was giving it some with a wrench for leverage.!!!

He was also fortuante to have a lathe handy to make various drifts and hollow out various tubes to aid removal both bearings, with use of pillar drill for press and vice with wooden hammers etc.

As for lining up the dot for timing, well its just guess and hope the dot is south perfectly and doesn't skip a tooth. Easy for tdc on piston, just pull conrod north, with or withourt piston attatched

Have just fired the engine up and she is purring like a kitten. I can feel power at top end and better idle too.

The beauty of the saito for bearing change is you dont have to remove all the valves in the head etc as the whole head just comes off, good thinking saito.

Anyway thanks to all who helped guide me to the correct size bearings. I'll try and post pic of warn bearings later. The old rear bearing is kind of semi sealed both sides.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3b7wYJ8sh0[/youtube]
Old 04-30-2010, 11:07 AM
w8ye

Now you are the expert?

When someone is in need of bearings, we expect you to tell them all the ins and outs of changing the bearings?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:06 PM
mk1spitfire

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Now you are the expert?

When someone is in need of bearings, we expect you to tell them all the ins and outs of changing the bearings?
Ha, Is that a condition of the saito club? Pass on knowledge through the generations.

By the way Macgregor are expensive for bearings and bearing change. Just Engines doesn't touch saito.
There is one guy called John Haytree in th uk, who is an old boy who privately does bearing changes and most engine work, including saito.

I've just been trying FAI fuel, no nitro, 80/20 castor in my saito 82 with neglagable rpm drop compaired to my 16% nitro fully synthetic. fuel. This is to prove to me that i can run the saito with no nitro to keep running cost's down further. I've allways assumed you needed nitro for a four stoke saito.
The engine guru at Macgregor said give staight castor fai 80/20 fuel, you will be suprised how well it works with slight power loss.
Back to black exhausts but nitomorse chemical may remove that.
Fai fuel here is about twice that a gallon of gas, where as my synth is 4 times as much.

Looking foward to getting the engine back in BH p40
Old 04-30-2010, 01:13 PM
w8ye

John Haytree is world known for his expertise
Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 PM
flygilmore

Sign me up please!!

I have several .82's, 1.00's and a .72 and love them all! I have also sold some in the past that I wish I still had too[:@]
Old 04-30-2010, 08:58 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking foward to getting the engine back in BH p40

Keep us updated!

What was wrong with the bearings, anyways?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Ernie Misner

Hobbsy, sounds like your newer .56GK has the rubber sealed front bearing and the lube didn't get past to leak out huh? It would be interesting to see if it stayed that tight of a seal after a few gallons of fuel through it. Thanks loads,

Ernie
Old 05-01-2010, 01:20 AM
mike109

G'day Saito lovers everywhere.

This may save some one some grief.

I recently put my near new 72 into a Black Horse 40 size Space Walker. The motor has been run in and has spend a few flights in a couple of trainers and I figured it was ready for a real job. With a new batch of my usual fuel (10% nitro, 5% castor, 15% Klotz and methanol) and its original Saito plug) it started but it simply would not idle. I was beginning to think my fuel may have been waterlogged. After a lot of tuning and fiddling I eventually took out the plug which looked perfect and replaced it with a new OS F. It was a different engine. It would idle, it would allow me to fine tune the low end and it was fine in the air.

So next time your engine won't idle, there are three causes that I can think of.

1. Bad fuel
2. Bad tuning
3. Bad plug.

1 and 3 are very easy to check - try some known good fuel and/or try a new plug.

One thing though - early in the flight while it is still on the rich side - it makes a sort of knocking sound in the air. The prop is a 13 x 6, the fuel as above and the plug an OS F. The sound disappears as the flight progresses.

Any ideas?
Old 05-01-2010, 01:22 AM
Craig 01

ORIGINAL: Craig 01

Hi all,

I have a few saito engines,1x .56, 2x.62, 1x.72, 1x.82 and 1x.125 and have enjoyed reading all the posts in this forum and of course my Saito's.I recently purchased stainless bearings from RC bearings to replace the originals as on a couple of engines they have become a bit rough,yes i use after run although unfortunately i live in a area with high humidity.
I am posting with regard to the bearings received.I replaced a set in my .82,only gone as far bearing/crankshaft/prop driver fitment and am shocked at the amount of radial play in these bearings.I can shake the case and it sounds like a kids rattle and i can feel/visually see the crankshaft movement.The crank to bearing fit was tight and bearing to case fit is good.I have checked the rest of the bearings received and they all have very sloppy clearances.They actually have more slop than a clapped out set.I also noticed the bore of the bearings slid on the crank part way from one side but when turned around would not slide onto the crank suggesting a tapered bore.There is no manufacturer marking on any of the bearings.
Surely this cant be normal and the quality of bearings from RC Bearings is suspect.
I have sent Paul an email with what i have found and am waiting on a reply.I purchased from RC bearings due to the many recommendations in this forum and others and i am quite dissapointed with the bearings received.
Has anyone of you come across this issue?.Has the quality slipped from what i have read it to be?.

Cheers,Craig.
G'day Fellas,
I received a reply from Paul at rc bearings and apparently the loose fit is within tolerance for the C3 stainless bearings,he measured them after i returned them,so there you go,certainly too loose for me to use.
Ended up ordering genuine saito for all my engines and have replaced the .82 bearings.Smooth as silk,no rattles or slop.
I am changing from using ATF and air tool oil to Mobil 1 full synthetic as an after run and see how that works out.Also used the Mobil 1 as an assembly lube.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:42 AM
FNQFLYER

All this stuff about bearings in 82's. All interesting me for the bearings I need for any of my model engines I just go to the local bearing shop wioth the old ones in hand and buy replacements.
But once again I ask why do you use castor in these modern Sais when the manufacturer specifically states that 20% synthetic is what is to be used.
All the problems you guys appear to have would appear to me from past experience to be the result of overheating bought on by not enough oil or the incorrect type
Just a thought

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.