Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 05:55 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

IMO just because one of the two engine beams was still attached to the engine mounts of the engines crankcase,
does not mean that the faulty part was the engine mount.

Your engine mount maybe broke because of the crash!
Old 04-16-2011, 03:41 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old Fart, I got the ESM Swordfish from Austats in Sydnet, now that is a kit and if you follow the build thread in the R/C Warbirds section you will get lots of help (and a lot of crap, a lot of these have never "built" a model methinks) and if yu get the cockpits etc from VQ models then you should have a good model with that big Saito in it..  I still haven't assembled mine yet, a bit "scared" of the FG36 that will go in it probably and I have the QLD SAM champs in June to contend with, no practise to date plus a couple of Saitos to run in for that event.  But the sun is shining the sky is blue and the winds 5 knots from the S.E.
Unlike our americain cousins all is well here for now and nature even gave those bods down Brownsville(aka Townsville for the unknowing) a bit of a shake up as well just to put them in their place
Catch ya
Old 04-16-2011, 03:46 PM
FNQFLYER

Kostas, the nature of  fracture line was along the web and join between the beam and the "vertical section" of the f/glass mount not the first time I have seen it and I have seen enough of this sort of failure especially when it wasn't part of the re kitting process when the model came to earth (crashed) to determine that it was a structural failure of the mount cause by faitgue cracking.
For reference the crack (breakage) was ragged and had evidence of oil / fuel contamination in a section of the break line while the rest was clean.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:50 PM
FNQFLYER

Old fart, I have found that sometimes our obtuse sense of humour is not appreciated / under stood by our cousins on the other side of the Pacific Ocean.  Gee they didn't even realise (until it was pointed out to them) that Paul Hogan did nothing but take the piss out of them for the entire time he hosted the Oscars, but I have found that on the whole they aren't a bad bunch
Old 04-16-2011, 03:51 PM
FNQFLYER

And after all they did give us Boeing and Douglas aircraft, Tower Hobbies and Amazon Books
Old 04-16-2011, 06:14 PM
CustomPC

Old Fart and FNQFLYER, those mounts are readily available here in Aus. I've bought them on numerous occasions from my local hobby shops and many mail order stores like Col Taylor, Roj's hobbies etc.

They are strong sturdy mounts and are my preferred mount
Old 04-17-2011, 01:07 AM
Kostas1

ORIGINAL: CustomPC

Old Fart and FNQFLYER, those mounts are readily available here in Aus. I've bought them on numerous occasions from my local hobby shops and many mail order stores like Col Taylor, Roj's hobbies etc.

They are strong sturdy mounts and are my preferred mount

Me 2 , all these years ,

it's the one & only engine mount i use......with no failures so far....

luck ???
Old 04-17-2011, 02:24 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FNQFLYER

Old fart, I have found that sometimes our obtuse sense of humour is not appreciated / under stood by our cousins on the other side of the Pacific Ocean. Gee they didn't even realise (until it was pointed out to them) that Paul Hogan did nothing but take the piss out of them for the entire time he hosted the Oscars, but I have found that on the whole they aren't a bad bunch
well custompc IS an aussie and he does'nt get it either so i guess it's a global problem
Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Craig 01

Yep,noticed those crushed black mounts and special offset engine mounting bolts.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:10 AM
spaceworm

Just my observation, and it may be wrong, but I do not think that glass filled plastic engine mounts crush. I think what you all are thinking is crushing of ther nount and subsequent bending in the mounting bolts is an improperly drilled mount. If the holes were not drilled square to the mount/engine lugs, then they will bend when tightened. This will also induce stress in both the moiunt and in the engine lugs/case and contribute to failure, under static load, vibration, and crashing. JMHO.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Kostas1

Check this out.....
I had a nother succesfull flight

with my Giant SuperSportster!!!!

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10467327]GreatPlanes Giant SS ARF + SAITO FA-150S[/link]

PS. I use a GreatPlanes glass filled Nylon engine mount!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:08 PM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

Just my observation, and it may be wrong, but I do not think that glass filled plastic engine mounts crush. I think what you all are thinking is crushing of ther nount and subsequent bending in the mounting bolts is an improperly drilled mount. If the holes were not drilled square to the mount/engine lugs, then they will bend when tightened. This will also induce stress in both the moiunt and in the engine lugs/case and contribute to failure, under static load, vibration, and crashing. JMHO.

Sincerely, Richard

90% of engine mounts available in my part of the world are glass reinforced plastic (or similar). They don't crush unless you get ridiculous tightening the engine retaining bolts (which most people oversize). Yes, they will flex somewhat but as long as they are 'properly' used any flex is more likely to dampen overall vibration than send it straight into the firewall/fuselage.

The only thing resembling 'crushing' I've seen has been the result of mounting bolts being excessively tight (or sometimes loose) in a heavily used aircraft. It's basically wear from the bolt/washer/engine bearers and not true crushing.

I'm sure that some of the larger Saitos may test the integrity of some of the cheaper/weaker/smaller plastic style mounts but, that's just a matter of selecting the right mount to begin with.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I use the glass filled mounts with 6/32 socket head screws. I like how the tapped threads never wallow out. I've had one spinner first crash on hard dirt, and the mount came out with least damage. I don't drill holes thru mounts for nut and bolt installations.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:39 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: blw

I use the glass filled mounts with 6/32 socket head screws. I like how the tapped threads never wallow out. I've had one spinner first crash on hard dirt, and the mount came out with least damage. I don't drill holes thru mounts for nut and bolt installations.
Back in the day, I think Dave Brown supplied self tapping screws for his GF mounts, suggesting just to drill a pilot hole for the screws and not use nuts. The GF plastic kinda acted like a self locking nut. I never had one loosen. Some plastic mounts have a under surface opposite the engine mount surface that is not parallel to the engine mount surface. Unless trued up to the top, this lower surface will cause the bolts to bend. Maybe this is what happened to the subject installation?

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-17-2011, 03:48 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Hey guys I just bought an used plane. The guy that sold it to me said it has a Saito50 4 stroke. Is that true?
Old 04-17-2011, 05:24 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, there was a Saito 50, if that's your question... It's an older engine no longer produced. It was replaced by the Saito 56. Have you had a chance to run it up yet?

Bob
Old 04-17-2011, 05:25 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a used J3 Cub one time and it had a Saito 50 four stroke engine.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:42 PM
jessiej

I had a Saito 50 at one time. Very nice running engine. As I recall it was an ABC engine. I think all the current Saitos are AAC, though I am not sure.

jess
Old 04-17-2011, 08:45 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Saito 50 was ABC but it still had a ring on the piston.

The Saito 100T is still ABC
Old 04-18-2011, 03:49 AM
Rudolph Hart

ORIGINAL: blw

I use allen head self tappers also they are brilliant in metric sizes
Old 04-18-2011, 05:15 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Yes, there was a Saito 50, if that's your question... It's an older engine no longer produced. It was replaced by the Saito 56. Have you had a chance to run it up yet?

Bob

No I have not run it yet. Maybe I have a chance today. Thanks for the responses
Old 04-18-2011, 02:24 PM
FNQFLYER

On mounts, all I can say is given the relavent weight penality (none) and the continued re usability (no problems with fuel / oil contamination in thread holes) and survivability in sudden arrival situations I will stay with factory produced mounts (OS and Saito).  I have them last for years only lost one in a cane harvester (don't ask) but by comparison I have yet to have a F/glass mount last in a model more than a couple of years.
My firewall mounts are through and through with bolts into captive nuts, both sides of the firewall are usually f/glassed (carbon fibre one side Kevlar on the other).
I do use smal f/glass mounts usually G/Planes or Davis or Kavan on models up to 25 size but only when I can't get the appropriate metal mount.
BTB I had until recently a 15 year old Record Breaker with a very old Saito 65 fitted with a Pricerite metal mount (suitable lightened) that was original fitment to that model.  The firewall as described and it was kept clean of gunge, only had to replace a tank and a set of u/c in its life with me.
Lastly, full size a/c (of all sizes) do not use self tapers to secure engines to mounts or mounts to firewalls for a reason, figure it out.   
Old 04-18-2011, 02:29 PM
FNQFLYER

On that mount that Kostas shoed us the front bolts "were  bent" because he tighted I suspect a soft screw and nut against a tapered surface.  That is the bottom surface of the mount was not parallel to the engine bearing surface.  If you have a mount like this (as in G/P mounts) you have to spot face the lower surface so the load surface for the nut is parallel to the engine mount surface. 
Old 04-18-2011, 02:36 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: FNQFLYER

On that mount that Kostas shoed us the front bolts ''were bent'' because he tighted I suspect a soft screw and nut against a tapered surface. That is the bottom surface of the mount was not parallel to the engine bearing surface. If you have a mount like this (as in G/P mounts) you have to spot face the lower surface so the load surface for the nut is parallel to the engine mount surface.

Or, use tapped holes in the mount, which is what I do for this kind of mount.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-18-2011, 02:46 PM
FNQFLYER

Let me get this right, you tap threads into F/glass mounts and then screw bolts into them.  If so what is the biggest engine you do this with and how do you over come the reduced integrity of the mount each time you remove and replace the engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.