Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

I used a quick connect on which the pin was larger than the hole in the arm and it split the end of the arm.

As for priming, holding your finger over the muffler outlet while flipping the prop will take fuel to the regulator but it will not flow into the engine until the spraybar demands fuel. Flipping at just above idle may be enough fuel draw to allow fuel to flow into the engine. That is something I'll have to play with.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It'll be a couple of weeks before the engine is ready to run,hoping you can investigate if you have time cheers peter
Old 04-21-2013, 05:17 AM
RH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you folks go about measuring the compression ratio on these Saito engines?

Rick...
Old 04-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Hobbsy

RH, I found them here among these engines tests by Clarence Lee, Peter Chin and others.

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/
Old 04-21-2013, 03:25 PM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would anybody have a copy of the manual for a 90T . This is pretty much my first 4 stroke and my first twin and would like to read up on it. My buddy is going to help me get it running but said we should adjust the valves and I have no idea what he is talking about. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Hobbsy

Here ya go.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SAIT...oke_Manual.pdf
Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 PM
RH

Wow!!! That's an amazing site. What a wealth of information! I can tell I'm going to be spending some time there.

I have three used Saitos that I picked up recently. They are "very" used to the point that they need to be broken down and restored. One has a broken rocker arm. My plan is to use these as a learning tool to gain experience with the 4 cycle technology. Let's say that once I get them rebuilt I want to check the compression just for comparison purposes. Any suggestions as to a pressure gauge I might use for this purpose?

Rick...
Old 04-21-2013, 04:47 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: RH

Wow!!! That's an amazing site. What a wealth of information! I can tell I'm going to be spending some time there.

Any suggestions as to a pressure gauge I might use for this purpose?

Rick...
That's something I am interested in.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Hobbsy

At one time Tower sold compression gauges but no longer list them.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Hobbsy

Here you go RH, I scrounged one up.

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN2514
Old 04-21-2013, 06:34 PM
RH

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

Any suggestions as to a pressure gauge I might use for this purpose?

Rick...
That's something I am interested in.
I thought I'd dig around on Google a little bit to see what might turn up. I haven't found anything specific yet, but I did find a RCU thread on "increasing compression" from a little over e year ago where you mentioned that you had purchased "A Complete Guide to Saito Model 4 / Strokes". Do you remember where you ordered it from? I'd like to see if I can get one too.

I saw somewhere else that it used to be available from RCM Plans, but I thought they had closed down. Their site is still active and it's listed so I sent them a contact e-mail to see what the story is. I'll see if I get a reply.

Rick...
Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 PM
RH

Looks like that Dynamite gauge ought to do the trick. After digging some more it might be hard to find. The contact page for Dynamite points to Horizon Hobby as the primary contact. I found the gauge on Horizon but it is listed as "discontinued" and "out of stock". I'll give them a call in the morning and report back.

Rick...
Old 04-24-2013, 04:05 PM
RH

I was able to get some more information about the compression gauge that was listed as a product from Dynamite. As it turns out, Dynamite is a product line under Horizon Hobby. The Dynamite contact page takes you directly to Horizon. A we suspected, the gauge is discontinued and hasn't been available for several years. The lady I spoke with wasn't aware of other possible sources or what company made it for them. That turned into a dead end. I guess the only possible alternative at this point would be e-bay. I'll keep hunting for a different source though.

Either here, or possibly somewhere else, I saw a reference to a publication called "A Guide to Saito Model 4-strokes". In looking for it I was finally able to get through by phone to RCM Plans. The mag is no longer being published, but they are still in the business of selling plans. They list that guide and it is still available so I have one on the way.

Rick...
Old 04-24-2013, 05:25 PM
SrTelemaster150

I was able to get some more information about the compression gauge that was listed as a product from Dynamite. As it turns out, Dynamite is a product line under Horizon Hobby. The Dynamite contact page takes you directly to Horizon. A we suspected, the gauge is discontinued and hasn't been available for several years. The lady I spoke with wasn't aware of other possible sources or what company made it for them. That turned into a dead end. I guess the only possible alternative at this point would be e-bay. I'll keep hunting for a different source though.

Either here, or possibly somewhere else, I saw a reference to a publication called ''A Guide to Saito Model 4-strokes''. In looking for it I was finally able to get through by phone to RCM Plans. The mag is no longer being published, but they are still in the business of selling plans. They list that guide and it is still available so I have one on the way.

Rick...
I got a reprint of the guide from RCM last summer.

http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=2175
Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does Saito publish any compression ratio figures?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:37 PM
FNQFLYER

You will find that guide a great addition to your work shop library.  It is dated but is a great companion to a similar one on OS engines.  I have 2 one for w/shop use (bit tatty) and the other in my book collection (aeromodelling Section)
Old 04-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Hobbsy

In some of the instructions from the late 80s and early 90s they did.

In case you didn't see this, here are some test with compression ratios listed.
http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/
Old 04-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Hobbsy

Pete, I did the little speriment a couple of days ago. I used the .65 with a TurboHeader and an IronBay regulator. Holding my finger over the exhaust out and flipping it would pressurize the tank and make nice whoosh when unplugging the vent line. I could not get the fuel to the tank unless I choked the carb. A starter would bring the fuel to the carb in about 2 seconds. I used the Cline duck bill check valve. All others except Hobby Lobby metal ones melt on a four stroke.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:20 PM
FNQFLYER

Couple of points, if these regulated engines are anything like the YS 53 / 63 we found that it was a good idea to disconnect the fuel feed line before the check valve in between flights to prevent any "flooding" of the engine due to tank pressurisation.
Secondly, after reading about the different compression ratios for the 65 I have been unable to find any suggestion that they were imported into Oz.  Can any one enlighten me on this one.  There could (probably) be some here as a result of E Bay purchases etc but they don't appear to have been sold by the distributer.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Hobbsy

I accomplish that by bleeding off the tank pressure, I've never had a Cline regulator or an IronBay leak. The leaking is the main culprit on YS engines. There's is a poor set up. The Cline regulator is the regulator half of a Walbro carb, the IronBay is a little different but totally reliable.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Rudolph Hart

Thanks very much for taking the time and doing that,it gives me something to think about re cowling access.The problem right now is the cline regulators and rotoflow tank still hav'nt arrived so it's a frustrating wait.I can't finish the decathlon and test run the engine till they get here.With this fuel set up the tank will be back nearer the cg and mounted with the tank bottom inclined downwards at about 40 degrees because it's a bit cramped back near the servo tray.Do you think that not having the tank level will make any difference? cheers mate.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:25 AM
Hobbsy

It might make a difference when inverted, that will make the front be the low end. That will le thet Roto clunk rotate around to the high empty end. I think. I don't have any Roto Tank experience yet. It looks like a great concept though.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:37 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

The Cline regulator is the regulator half of a Walbro carb, the IronBay is a little different but totally reliable.
It's too bad that the Cline regulators are almost impossible to get.

I would like to try them for E-85 use in the stock glow carburetor..
Old 04-26-2013, 04:40 AM
AeroFinn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

The Cline regulator is the regulator half of a Walbro carb, the IronBay is a little different but totally reliable.
It's too bad that the Cline regulators are almost impossible to get.

I would like to try them for E-85 use in the stock glow carburetor..

Why?

Just a couple of weeks a go i got some spare parts from Cline & Associates:

http://www.billsroom.com/pcfs/

regrds Artto
Old 04-26-2013, 04:45 AM
Hobbsy

As Artto says, they are very easy to get, here is the actual order page.

http://www.billsroom.com/pcfs/Ordering%20Info.html

Dan, there may be a concern when using the moonshine fuel, the Cline regulator diaphragm doesn't last more than about a year on glow fuel but will last forever on gasoline and Diesel. Jim Cline recommended replacing the diaphragm every year when using them with glow fuel, and so does John at IronBay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.