Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Club FOX!

I run Fox 5% nitro/20% all castor, they thrive on it.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:09 PM
loughbd
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any brand if fine as long as the nitro content isn't more than 10% and I use 20% castor oil.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:08 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

I run a 46, 50, eagle IV 60 and 74. The 46 I run on 15% nitro Omega, it loves it. All the others take 0% nitro and 18.75% oil homeblend that is almost 50% castor. They love that mix. The bigger Foxes do not run well on lots of nitro, 10% is maximum. However word on street is that Fox has lowered compression on the 60 and 74 so more nitro can be used.

Since I have a cheap no nitro fuel supply the old high compression Foxes are just what I want.

Old 11-11-2006, 06:32 PM
kersplat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's see, 1950's Arnold and Fox .19 3 screw backplate
Fox .36 Sport R/C
Fox .36 Sport U/C
Fox .29 U/C Sport
4 Fox .15 baffle
1 Fox .15 Baffle R/C 1961
1 Fox .10
1 Fox .099 Rocket
1 Fox .15 Schneurle BB U/C
2 Fox .25 baffle R/C
Old 11-11-2006, 08:40 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as my wife doesn't see this list:
1 .049, not FAI
1 .10 RC
8 .15 baffle CL
3 .15baffle RC
2 .15 Schnuerle CL
3 .15 Schnuerle RC
2 .19 baffle CL
1 .19 Schnuerle RC
2 .25 baffle CL
1 .25 Schnuerle CL
2 .25 Scnuerle RC
1 .29 baffle RC, based on 36X
5 .35 Stunt CL
2 .36X CL
3 .36 baffle RC
1 .36 Schnuerle RC
1 .40 baffle CL
1 .40 Schnuerle CL
4 .40 Schnuerle RC
1 45 Schnuerle CL
3 .45 Schnuerle RC
1 .46 Schnuerle RC
1 .50 Schnuerle RC
1 .59 w Johnson Automix carb
1 .60 Eagle RC
1 .60 Eagle II RC
2 .60 Eagle III RC
1 .60 Eagle IV RC
1 .78 Scnuerle RC

I also have a couple 19s and 25s in parts being repaired, and I have another 45 in a plane that I am trying to sell for a club member who has gone into a nursing home. I kind of got hooked on Fox engines in the late 50s when I found them to be easier to start and adjust than anything else in the .35 range that I had. I still hear people at the club field saying they can't understand why I don't use engines that start and run, even while I'm flying. I have over 160 engines total, but 95% of my flying is with the Foxes.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:39 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(snip) I still hear people at the club field saying they can't understand why I don't use engines that start and run, even while I'm flying. I have over 160 engines total, but 95% of my flying is with the Foxes.
[/quote]

-------------------

Boy, you and several other fellows are REALLY Fox fans. You make me look like a Fox wannabe. <G>

A friend and myself visited another club field in the early Eighties (my original NJ R/C Club). My friend was using a Fox .45 wart engine (schneurle ported) large case on his model. He was fairly new in the hobby back then. I had flown the engine for quite a while and then sold it to my friend.

When one of the other club members noticed that the fine running engine they were hearing was a Fox, he called out to the others to "check this out". A crowd gathered around my friend as he started the Fox.

It turned out that others in that club had bought Fox R/C engines with the old cast nipple carb, but no one could get them to run right. All I did was follow the instructions and set the low speed needle first, then ping-ponged back and forth between the low speed needle and the high speed needle. Once adjusted, it seldom required much more than a re-tweak of the high speed needle. The engine ran fine and was very reliable.

Apparently, no one in the club understood what Fox explained in the instructions. They were accustomed to engines where the high speed was adjusted first and then the low speed was fine tuned for good idle and transition. The old Fox cast nipple carbs worked in just the opposite fashion. The low speed was to be set first and it determined how much fuel was available for the high speed needle to work with.

Well, we were declared the Fox engine gurus for the county after that experience. I used to receive phone calls (before the internet) from folks all over the place for instructions on how to make their Fox engine run like mine.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-12-2006, 12:04 AM
50+AirYears

I may have said this before, but in a review of various RC carbs for MAN, PGF Chinn initially reported having troubles getting a 45 with that carb to run. Then he contacted Fox who told him to read the instructions. He ended up putting it in it's own category as probably one of the best, if not the best.

I once had one of our club's Fox knockers come out just as I made a 180 degree roll right from lift off then went vertical (remembering to use down elevator, of course). He immediately called out, "Look, Tonys using a ST or Webra. Of course, after I landed, I made a ig production out of bringing the plane up to him and the group he was talking with and showing him the "Webra" .45. Can't figure out why he went home mad shortly thereafter.

RC Reports listed the Fox in general, and the 45 in particular, as having probably the best throttle range, with a 2000 RPM idle and over 14600 top end.

One of Chinn's sucsessors in MAN had a nice letter about Fox engines. The writer mentioned how when he bought engines based on magazine tests, he never had the engine performance match what was reported, until he bought a Fox 45. The two he bought both did better than the MAN report. Turns out that both MAN and RC report get their engines from the mfg, with prepaid return mailing packages, and a request to return them by a certain time, indicating they are hand-fitted specials, not stock engines. However, when MAN called to get a sample from Fox, they recieved a pair of purchase orders telling the mag to buy their samples from a local hobby shop, follow the instructions for handling, and get the results a customer would get. Talk about standing behind their product and not trying to overstate what one can expect. The RC Report reviewer even mentioned one mfg admitted that hand-fitted custom units were sent out for review after the mag recieved a number of complaints about this non-Fox engine,

MAN listed the Fox 40 and 60 as being in the top 2 or 3 engines in their displacement when they had their shoot-offs, and RC Reports considered the Eagle 60 to be about #2 on props normally used on 60s, and with larger props, was second only to the Saito 120 4S.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:21 PM
private pilot 2
My Feedback: (1)

I'VE RAN A LOT OF ENGINES IN MY TIME.I HAD A FOX 45 ,FLAT MOUNT 2 NEEDLE CARB.HAD TO BE ONE OF THE BEST RUNNING ENGINES IN THE WORLD. MID 80'S MODEL.RAN 10%COOL POWER.10/6 PROP.COUPLE FLIPS AND SHE STARTED EVERY TIME.HAD IT ON A TOWER HOBBIES PROFILE EXTRA SPECIAL,WHAT A COMBO. SHOULD HAVE KEPT IT BUT SOLD IT AT A SWAP MEET.NOT AS MUCH SPEED AS MY WEBRAS,BUT VERY RELIABLE AND MADE IN THE GOOD OLE USA........I;VE DONE BUSINESS WITH FOX MANUFACTURING,VERY DEPANDABLE AND CARING SERVICE.THE KEY TO( ALL FOX ENGINES )IS SETTING THEM UP AS THE INSTRUCTIONS AND U WILL BE VERY HAPPY.........................................
Old 11-15-2006, 11:09 PM
RaceCity

I recently had the opportunity to visit the Fox factory in Ft. Smith.

To actually meet the people, and see the effort they put into their work was remarkable. When you buy a Fox, you're buying a hand made, custom engine. Every motor is tested and has to meet or beat spec before it goes in the box...or it doesn't go in the box.

Same with the glow plugs. Believe it or not, they are made one at a time...tested and then packaged.

God Bless good old, Made in the USA products.

What a fantastic company.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Sport_Pilot

What are some of you guys getting on a Fox .50? My numbers seem to be low but the plane seems to perform good nonetheless. I got about 9,800 on a 12-6 but the plane flew very well but not as well as on a 11-5. Tried a TF 11-4 but it was a bit too slow, the RPM was less than 12,000. Last summer it seemed to get about 12,800 on a very hot day on an APC 11-5. Maybe my tach is off. At one point my tach was gave me an idle speed of about 900 RPM but gave 2400 after turning it off then on.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:20 PM
bakersfield68

Anyone konow about the fox 50 bb? I have a brand new old one.lol. Its a older engine but its new never been ran. Anyone have some specs on it? I would like to know thanks.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:31 PM
50+AirYears

For a listing of specs, check at www.flitelinesolutions.com/ez.html. They have a fairly good amount of info, suggestions, and reproductions of Fox manuals. I have seen a couple of Fox 50s outperform some low-end 60s on 11-6 and 11-7 props.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:50 PM
bakersfield68

Thanks, i was thinking about running a 12-4 or a 13-4 APC. do you think it would handel them? Thanks again for the info.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Hobbsy

The Fox .50 is the lightest of all .50s, even lighter than the Webra .50.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:45 PM
bakersfield68

do you think that it will handel those APC props, 12-4 or 13-4. For 3D flying
Old 03-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Hobbsy

Today looks like a busy day here, company comming, but I'll try to squeeze in running one of my .50s with a Graupner 12x5 on 5% fuel.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: bakersfield68

do you think that it will handel those APC props, 12-4 or 13-4. For 3D flying

The 12-4 is a bit light. It should work fine on a 13-4. Use 5% nitro or less. Mine detonates a bit with 10% on hot days. Good engine and the carb is also good, the only problem is that the detents are too wide, so you will sometimes be runninb a bit richer than you would like. Lowering the compression and upping the nitro would help. I think Flightlines Solutions has a head button fix for that if you like.

BTW what numbers are you people getting on this engine with glow fuel. I swore it was getting almost 13,000 with 5% fuel with an APC 11-5, but the last readings were about 12,000. The performance seemed just as good so maybe it was a tach error.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
bakersfield68

Cool thanks guys. I was thinking of getting the cmpro yak 52 3d 56" plane from nitroplanes. it weighs about 5.2 lbs. Thats the reason for all the questions. I just hope that it will pull it. I want to get back into aerobatics, looks good, and it calls for a .52. My last aerobatic plane was a H9 edge with a satio 1.8. But the engine is now in a H9 Mustang 1.50. So now all i have is just this .50 bb and was looking for a yak to put it in.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:29 PM
dammitman
My Feedback: (15)

well, today i finally got to run my ultimate goal, my fox twin 120. i have it mounted on a greatplanes big stik 60. had to move the servos to the back, batterys to the back and even the fuel tank (16 oz sullivan flextank) is mounted several inches back from the front. i have added an onboard glow starter switch to be able to relite a dead cylinder just in case and it REALLY works well. i am running a 3 blade master airscrew 13-8 prop just for fun. this setup is really working well. no deadstiks, no problems at all unless you count the fuel cost. it does use alot if ran wide open. i have 2 old stock brand new macs one piece flow thru mufflers for exhaust and its LOUD!!!!!!! too cool. all the more mature (older) members of the club were impressed with it. idles great, lots of power and damm it looks too cool on the plane. i have to admit, i got these fox engines down.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:51 PM
SQUIZZY

Hi all, i have just purchased my first fox a 40 bb i was told by the seller .Is there any way of identifying the model,age,series,apart from fox 40 on the side of motor.As i am in Australia where they are not sold as much as the chinese, japanese models i would appreciate any info,Thanks Squizzy.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:06 PM
50+AirYears

About the only way to tell is from the information on the box and the date on the instruction sheet. You might also take a look at the flitelinesolutions.com web site for other info.

Glad to hear the Fox 1.20 was impressive. The only negative I ever read about them was something apparently common with 2 stroke glow engines. Apparently unless they are very carefully adjusted, one cylinder may at times run leaner, and therefore hotter than the other. But, all the engine gurus seem to agree it is common to that type of engine, and not specific to the Fox.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:37 PM
dammitman
My Feedback: (15)

just got home from another few runs of running the twin on the stik. i need to go over the screws on everything as i lost a muffler screw on one cylinder. i dont want to lose one of these mufflers as they are a bit hard to come by. as this is a "new" motor i need to check everything. this fox twin was modified with the added shim and modified head button as suggested from flitelinesolutions.com i am running wildcat 15% X-tra. a little extra oil is never a bad idea. i set the carbs each one at a time on a perfectly running fox eagle III engine and then transferred them back to the twin and they needed very little after that. i have used thermo temp tool to check the temps of the heads on the ground while running wide open holding the engine upright to simulate a lean run and no problems. it does like to get leaner wihile upright as a nomal plane would but i always richen up my foxes to the max for prolonged life and performance in climbs. i think foxes are easy to tune personally. i especially like the older 2 jet carbs. i have a fox quickee 500 racing version on a goldberg skylark that really gets it. i did use a perry carb on that one though. it will idle fine, a little high but never deadsticks, transitions nicly and is a bit of overkill for that plane but,,,,pretty cool. i use a rossi number 8 glow plug and 25% nitro fuel in that one. gotta love these foxes. i lke being different and i am the oly one in this club who will run one, everyday![8D]
Old 03-13-2007, 08:25 AM
50+AirYears

Always found a touch of Loctite on the muffler screws as a good idea on all the Foxes I've had. Clean the threads with alcohol, put a drop on each screw, and tighten down. Allow at least a couple hours, if not at least a day for the stuff to properly set. I have used both the blue and the red loctite with good sucess.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Scott Nelson

New to this Fox thing, but wanting to learn. I recently got a fox eagle ABC engine that I think is a .74 (1.0 in bore). the engine has no markings as to size that I can see. It has a brand new carb and runs good on the test stand. What can I expect from this engine in an airplane? I have heard they need some modification to perform well. Where can I get the updated "button" and is it necessary? Any information appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-23-2007, 07:59 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

I've run a couple eagle ring 74s. Very little problem. Keep the nitro low 0-5% and you will not need head button and get better fuel economy with cheaper fuel. The EZ air bleed carbs, I've found easy to adjust. Sometimes the EZ carbs run lean about 2/3-3/4 open flitelinesolutions has a quick no cost fix for it. The fox mkx carbs worked just fine. Low nitro is the key and use a standard long Fox plug.

Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.