Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club FOX!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:58 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Club FOX!

Several of the Fox haters in my club still bring up the case of one of our members who got a Fox engine that apparently had some machining chips in it. They seem to forget the warning that came out in RCM sometime around 1970 or 1980 where almost an entire run of one of the more expensive German or Austrian RC engines had the better part of an entire production run filled with chips to the point that the engines were being destroyed on the first start. Seems this is, or was, quite a common problem with all engine manufacturers, not just Fox. After this particular episode, all the engine reviewers were rcommending at least pulling the backplates off ANY new engine , including OS and ST, and checking or cleaning the engine before turning it over for the first time. Still good advice.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:54 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone notice that the flightline solutions web site is shutting down? I would like to contact the owner and volunteer to help keep it up and running. Anyone know who he is or how to get in contact with him?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:05 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh no!!!! I love that site and I love Fox. I sent you a PM with a name and email generated when they answered a question of mine.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:36 PM
50+AirYears

Glad I downloaded and printed out the information I thought I might need - - which was most of it.

Wish I had had enough money at Toledo for that Fox 1.2 twin somebody had upstairs.

Of course, with my wife being with me, it might have been a dificult buy anyway.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:44 PM
jcw111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new in box Fox 120 twin with mufflers amd all the original papers that came with it. Has the EZ carbs that replaced the original.

Also an Eag;e 11 with about 5 runs on it no muffler

Anyone interested in buying will make a good deal

Please PM if any interest

Jim Whitney
Old 04-24-2007, 09:22 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just received an email from the owner of flightline solutions. He said that the web site would continue to operate on another server and via another URL. I'm sure he will post a notice here when the change is made.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:10 PM
50+AirYears

Though some of you Fox users would appreciate the humor in this little episode from yesterday. Got to the field intending to maiden a Skylark 56 ARF with a Super Tigre 45 in it. First, since I hadn't flown power since late last year, I put up my 78% Smog Hog, with a Fox .40. Tached it at 12,400 with an APC 10-6. Took up the Skylark, got in a flight, and landed. Had one of the Fox haters approach me, and ask if I didn't feel better with superior power. Showed him how that .45 was taching 12,750 with the same APC 10-6 prop. Saddly, he seemed to miss the point that the new .45 was only 250 RPM faster than a 15 year plain bushing .40.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:21 PM
fireflydiving

Hi Guys
I have a couple of fox 50s and I need a ring and bearings for one of them. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

LONG LIVE AMERICAN IRON!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 05:26 PM
GWILLIE

Call Fox they still have the parts: 877-369-3883
Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Fox was great and might still be. I flew Fox from the .15 rc to the Eagle .74 IV model. I still have the .15 but due to no muffler and the exhaust baffel it can't fly at our field. I had the first Fox .40 R/c and it would never hold a head gasket. Gave up on that one.

I finally gave up on Fox after flying the Eagle .74. I flew the version I Eagle .60 for years and wore it out on my Super Hots. I sent it in to fox and they did the exchange to the new eagle. It flew well until a crash then I went for the Eagle .74 and bought 2. I have never either .74 run satisfactory. They had great power but will die from transition. I tried fuel mix, oil %, plugs, head gasket, and the head button. I also have both carbs the twin screw, airbleed and the perry with adaptor. I never got this engine to run properly even with help from Friends of Fox. Finally I gave up on one Engine and it is in the closet in my workshop. I just don't have the patience to spend $$ on a engine then have to do mods to make it run. I want an engine that I can follow instructions in the box and have it work. The second .74 was sent back to Fox 4 times and on the last time I told them if they could not fix the engine I didn't want it back. The engine was never crashed and basically only bench run for hours trying to make it run. I never heard from Fox or the engine again. That was the end to buying fox. I don't consider myself a Fox hater or basher. Just a customer that wants an engine to perform as the manufacture states. After buying 2 motors that neither could be made to run without modifications I switched engine suppliers. So I switched to Saito for my primary power and always regret that the Fox engine never ran satisfactory.

So if any of you guys think you have a magic bullet for a Fox .74 I am open to input on how to make it run, but really don't want to spend any $$ as I believe it should run "as advertised". Best of luck to all of you running Fox. They are nice people and except for the last motor gave great service and response. I had many dealings with Duke in the early years on the Fox .15 . Jim
Old 05-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Sport_Pilot

Having never had this problem, and having been able to help others who have, though maybe to a lesser degree. I doubt you have tried every thing. IMO Fox has the right not to work on your engine if it has been modified to any extent, and they are not responsible if your head botton doesn't work. IMO it may have been a problem of not using FAI fuel and those air bleed carbs. My experiance is that the Perry carb doesn't work as well as the MK series carb, and the early airbleed carbs were supposed to be horrid. Don't know why they still use them though I think they may have improved them.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:18 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sport pilot Fox came thru for me Bob Davis spoke to Charlie Thacker about a year ago and they did put together a 50 for me took a month of course it has a Davis diesel head
It ran fine with the airbleed carb but thought it would improve with the Perry so ordered the Carb and adapter plate from Perry about $60/ Guess what?? it is much better with the orginal carb very very happy with it martin
Have a plain bush 20 conversion too an other winner
made in USA really means something
Old 05-25-2007, 07:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

I had a Fox Eagle I that came with a Perry carb, possibly the old Tower version. I could get it to run sometimes and othertimes it would never get the idle lean enough. I think that it was set so lean that sometimes the servo would overdrive it on the idle side and the mixture would get too lean. Bought a used Fox .50 with an extra MK 50 carb, I noticed it was approximately the same diameter as the Perry on the Fox Eagle, tried it and the engine ran great. Haven't tried it on a plane yet, but haven't been flying much for the past few years.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:43 PM
jessiej

About a year ago I purchased a brand new Fox .74. "Aha!" I said to myself. "What a fine oportunity to demonstrate the years of experience, expertise, finess, and the like I have accumulated."

Alais! The Fox simply started right up and ran flawlessly. After about half a gallon of 5% nitro/20% blend the idle was smooth and low, transition flawless and power excellent. I have not had a single chance to apply esoteric knowledgeto this engine. Dang!

jess
Old 05-30-2007, 12:40 PM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Having never had this problem, and having been able to help others who have, though maybe to a lesser degree. I doubt you have tried every thing. IMO Fox has the right not to work on your engine if it has been modified to any extent, and they are not responsible if your head botton doesn't work. IMO it may have been a problem of not using FAI fuel and those air bleed carbs. My experiance is that the Perry carb doesn't work as well as the MK series carb, and the early airbleed carbs were supposed to be horrid. Don't know why they still use them though I think they may have improved them.
You are so right about not working on modified engines. That's exactly why I called them on the phone and followed their directions to include buying 2 cases of Fox Gold Star fuel to make sure it was run "by the book". Still would not run but since I had 2 Eagle .74's that neither would run I sent one back and worked on the other. It is still in the storage case,, and still won't run. So there is some detail that Fox learned to modify motors if they now "run out of the box". I just don't feel like spending $$ to find out if they made improvements. Now if they had sent me a replacement as my motor was under warranty and it worked I might be inclined to buy another. But since I never heard from them again and the 2 Eagle .74's did not run even with Fox idle bar, Gold star fuel and the prop they recommended. I just don't have faith in buying another motor from them. Perhaps they will find my old motor, send a replacement and I will evaluate it. But until then I just can't support buying Fox. Sorry,, just too many bad experience. Jim
Old 05-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Sport_Pilot

Could be they simply were not making them right and wouldn't own up to it. Especiall during that period when Betty Fox had died and the future of the company was in doubt. Perhaps they are doing a better job now that Ralph Fox has inherited the company and working there. You might want to ask about that motor if you can prove you sent it. If nothing else you can send it to jessiej so he can apply some of that esoteric knowledge.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:34 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: jimcork1

Fox was great and might still be. I flew Fox from the .15 rc to the Eagle .74 IV model. I still have the .15 but due to no muffler and the exhaust baffel it can't fly at our field. I had the first Fox .40 R/c and it would never hold a head gasket. Gave up on that one.

I finally gave up on Fox after flying the Eagle .74. I flew the version I Eagle .60 for years and wore it out on my Super Hots. I sent it in to fox and they did the exchange to the new eagle. It flew well until a crash then I went for the Eagle .74 and bought 2. I have never either .74 run satisfactory. They had great power but will die from transition. I tried fuel mix, oil %, plugs, head gasket, and the head button. I also have both carbs the twin screw, airbleed and the perry with adaptor. I never got this engine to run properly even with help from Friends of Fox. Finally I gave up on one Engine and it is in the closet in my workshop. I just don't have the patience to spend $$ on a engine then have to do mods to make it run. I want an engine that I can follow instructions in the box and have it work. The second .74 was sent back to Fox 4 times and on the last time I told them if they could not fix the engine I didn't want it back. The engine was never crashed and basically only bench run for hours trying to make it run. I never heard from Fox or the engine again. That was the end to buying fox. I don't consider myself a Fox hater or basher. Just a customer that wants an engine to perform as the manufacture states. After buying 2 motors that neither could be made to run without modifications I switched engine suppliers. So I switched to Saito for my primary power and always regret that the Fox engine never ran satisfactory.

So if any of you guys think you have a magic bullet for a Fox .74 I am open to input on how to make it run, but really don't want to spend any $$ as I believe it should run "as advertised". Best of luck to all of you running Fox. They are nice people and except for the last motor gave great service and response. I had many dealings with Duke in the early years on the Fox .15 . Jim

-----------

Your ring isn't seated. This creates a lot of heat, which advances the timing, which causes your engine to create even more heat until the timing is so far advanced that the engine will no longer run and quits.

Remove the glow plug, and drop a little slurry of castor or synthetic lube mixed with Bon Ami powder. Leave the glow plug out. Turn the engine over with an electric starter for twenty to thirty seconds. Flush the Bon Ami slurry out of the exhaust and out of the engine. Resist the temptation to dab the slurry into the carb. You'll ruin the connecting rod fit, the crankcase to crankshaft fit and probably the ball bearings if you do dab it into the carb. This may take several applications.

How can you tell if you are making progress? Time how long it takes the engine to quit while flying normally. It should lengthen its time as the engine wears in until it doesn't quit at all. Obviously, that is when you quit applying the oil/Bon Ami slurry.

This needs to be done in tiny increments. Once the material is removed, there is no putting it back without replacing parts.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

He said he bench ran it for hours? If true it should have been broken in.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:18 AM
jessiej

Have any of you seen one of these?

eBay Item number: 250135025311

jess
Old 07-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I found this Fox .15 in the RCU Marketplace, it's not like either of the ones I already have, one is a modern BB one, the other is a bushing engine with a butterfly in the carb and exhaust, the picture is the new one NIB but factory run.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13543.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	715272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68346.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	715273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15268.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	715274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27298.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	715275  
Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 PM
quepasa

I have several OLD Foxes that still run great! I recently called Fox for a headgasket for one of the OLD Eagles. They not only had one, they sent it to me for free!

I'm told that the current fuels (powermaster) don't have enough castor oil for the old NIB .29 bushing/baffel motor.
Is this true? (My bushed LAs don't mind this fuel at all.)

Anyone have any experience with the current .25 BB?

Old 07-11-2007, 11:48 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

[quote]ORIGINAL: jimcork1

"I still have the .15 but due to no muffler and the exhaust baffel it can't fly at our field."

------------------------

I was facing the same problem with Fox and ST .15 sized engines. I got around the problem by buying a J'Tec strap-on manifold from Tower Hobbies. Hey, it isn't any louder than a stock Fox muffler. If you scour e**y, you can also find an old Tatone Peace Pipe for this size of engines that actually looks like a muffler, if the manifold's looks put you off too much.

Ed Cregger

Old 07-12-2007, 01:47 AM
RaceCity

Quepasa...

The old bushing .29 would do best on a high castor fuel. 50/50 castor synth (ie: Sig Champion) would be about the minimum AFAIC.

These engines don't need much nitro...5 or 10% is plenty so it's real easy to make your own fuel. I'd go straight castor with ANY of the older lapped/bushed designs.

The .25BB is a great engine! A little bit higher vibration than most other engines in this displacement range, but it has a good bit of extra power as well. Runs best on 5% fuel (although it tolerates slightly higher nitro without argument). Pulls a 9-5 or 10-4 prop real well, and keeps on pulling in the turns where it counts!

Solid engine!
Old 07-12-2007, 01:50 AM
RaceCity

Quepasa...

The old bushing .29 would do best on a high castor fuel. 50/50 castor synth (ie: Sig Champion) would be about the minimum AFAIC.

These engines don't need much nitro...5 or 10% is plenty so it's real easy to make your own fuel. I'd go straight castor with ANY of the older lapped/bushed designs.

The .25BB is a great engine! A little bit higher vibration than most other engines in this displacement range, but it has a good bit of extra power as well. Runs best on 5% fuel (although it tolerates slightly higher nitro without argument). Pulls a 9-5 or 10-4 prop real well, and keeps on pulling in the turns where it counts!

Solid engine!

Ed....The Tatone Peace-Pipe muffler is a piece of leaky junk. If you'd ever used one...you'd never do it again. I'd certainly not recommend one to anyone. Even an enemy.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:58 PM
RHarding
My Feedback: (3)

RaceCity,

Let me guess????????? You live in Charlotte.

I'm east, in Fayetteville.

I am somewhat of a collector, not serious, just love older engines. Have a number of Fox. I have a Rocket .09 that is missing a needle valve assembly. You got one, or know where I can find one. A copy of instructions with parts listing would be appreciated. Or part number for that NVA. I bought out a fellow's Fox parts about a year ago. Let me know if you need anything. Might have it.

Richard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.