Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

PBY-5A Catalina Engines

Old 09-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Newc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PBY-5A Catalina Engines

I'm getting set to build the G&P Sales' 104" PBY-5A Catalina over the winter, and am considering various engines. I have had no experience with twins, so want reliability above all - especially since I really dislike deadsticks over water! Would like the sound of twin four-strokes, but have a lot more experience with two-stroke engines.

The plane is likely to be about 23# and the suggested engines from the kit manufacturer are either .61 two-stroke or 91 four-stroke. Since OS has the 91 and it's basically the same weight as the 61, I would use probably lean toward this if I go with two-stroke. If four-stroke is the way I went, I would think that the Saito 100 would be a good fit for the plane, again since it's about the same weight as their 91. I would also consider the YS 110 for the increased power.

Questions are: Which engines would you suggest and why? With that engine, what three-bladed prop do you recommend? Any other comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2005, 07:21 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: PBY-5A Catalina Engines

The OS 91 Surpass II is a trouble free engine. A 13 X 6would work nicely.

The Saito 100 has the same bolt pattern and length to the prop hub as the OS 91 Surpass.

A Saito 100 is much more powerful and lighter than the OS engine.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 09-20-2005, 09:29 PM
3dbob37n

I'm currently building a Joe Bridi Aero Commander with a 71" wingspan and plan on using 4 strokes. Probably two 70's.
The reason I am using four strokes is their reliability at idle. The worst thing that can happen to you is to lose an engine during a missed approach and have to power up and one quits.
In my experience, 4 strokers are better at this than 2 strokers.
The OS 91 is an excellent engine.
Of course if you fly over water, you probably won't have any missed approaches like the rest of us. Just land the damn thing.
I have to land on just 400' of runway or go into tall, destructive, grass and weeds.
But, you will have to run those engines on the ground and make sure they are set right, especially the low end needle. Some of them do take some fiddling so don't fly until you are certain they will idle properly.

3dbob
Old 09-21-2005, 11:34 AM
oldtimer2
My Feedback: (19)

what ever engines you use,I would suguest that you consider using glow plug drivers to improve your idle stability.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

I would probably go with a pair of Magnum .91 FS engines. They are clearly
the best value for the money, and are deadbolt reliable.

FBD.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:24 PM
rene catman coulon

I have a scratch built mk 5a cat 2,63 m span take off weight all gased up and growling 7.1 kg engines are two ASP 70 ar, driving 12, 6 3 blade master airscrew props. I have on board glow drivers. cat sounds really awsome and flies very well. Have been looking at system called twin sync for next cat that is under construction sounds like the way to go .
Old 01-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Newc

Thanks. I ended up building the 104" (2.64 m, 8.8 kg) WS PBN Nomad shown and am using YS FZ63S engines with Electrodynamics glow drivers. Plane was finished too late last fall to be able to fly it, so it will have the maiden flight this spring. In the meantime I have put 1 1/2 hours on the engines on a 'mule' and they have performed flawlessly. Will be using 12x6 Master Airscrew three bladed props, with 12x8 props ready to try after that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42381.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	596976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39129.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	596977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51526.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	114.1 KB