Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

How to todays Engines compare to 20 years ago?

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

How to todays Engines compare to 20 years ago?

Old 10-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: How to todays Engines compare to 20 years ago?

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

Sorry, Bax.

From the Tower web site, here is the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBZ02&P=RF]link for the engine[/link].

...And the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCJ65&P=Z]link for the piston/cylinder set[/link].

See the tech dept notes: "The plating is actually Nickle but is still being labeled ABC not ABN.".

If they are wrong, I will stand corrected, but from the appearance of the sleeve, I don't think they (or I) are.

Just for appearance, here is the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCJ46&P=Z]link for the same, for the VX-DF engine[/link].
The tech note on the piston/cylinder assembly is incorrect. According to O.S. the .91 VR-DF piston/cylinder assembly is TRUE ABC construction, that is, the plating is real chromium plating on the brass liner. This is also true for the racing marine engines and the top R/C car racing engines.

We'll get the information to the people who post the tech notes for Tower.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:39 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to todays Engines compare to 20 years ago?

RTD I sure agree on the ARF subject. While I enjoy building and have scratch built many, many models since I started in the hobby in the '60s, these days with my job, house, kids, other obligations I have a hard time finding decent blocks of time to sit and build. The high quality and very affordable prices of ARF's these days makes me very happy - I can fly whenever I am able and don't have to give anything away in the aircraft's performance. I can build on the side when I find time. Personally, I think quality ARF's are a boon to the market. Why force a first-timer to build a trainer for example as some would suggest? That's nuts, let them assemble and ARF and get out there and start flying. If they like the hobby they can choose their own path afterwards, ARF's or kits/scratch builds. The concept of "you should build your first aircraft" is horribly outdated to me. Now, some years ago when ARF's were absolute junk, that was a whole different story. But now, why risk the agony of dorking a model that required 25-40 hours to build for a newbie, resulting in needless frustration. They can develop the building skills later - hook 'em in the hobby first!

I never got out of the hobby and I have a collection of old engines waiting to be used.. too much impulse buying I guess! I still fly a mid '80's vintage Picco .40 and a ?15? year old FP .15 that still runs like a clock. Now what to put that old ST .56 in I wonder? An Astro Hog or Taurus perhaps..

MJD