Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

TT Pro 36 idle problem

Old 11-13-2005, 03:25 PM
KrisG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT Pro 36 idle problem

My TT Pro 36 has great top end, but will not keep on running below half throttle, it dies in about 5 seconds. Things are best hen I screw the secondary needle valve in as far as I can - any further out makes things worse. It keeps on running with the battery connected, but dies in a few seconds when I disconnect it - that lead me to thinking that the fuel was not hot enough, but 10% fuel did not help any.

I also lowered the fuel tank as far as I could ( center of fuel tank is about at the same position as the needle valve).

Prop : Graupner ( light grey) 10x6 - I tried smaller, no avail
Plug : OS #8
Fuel : Model Technics 5%
Mounted 45° down on a
Standard muffler
Sea level
Weather nowadays approx 10-12° C ( 50-53 F)

Checked the carb : no leakage at all, mounted it back into the engine with gasket forming silicone to exclude air leaks there.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks

Kris G
Old 11-13-2005, 05:34 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: TT Pro 36 idle problem

My experience with this type running has been that the fuel was exposed to sunlight for a long time.

A Enya #3 plug may be hot enough to keep it running?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:19 AM
KrisG

Dear w8ye,

Thanks for the reaction.

The fuel works perfectly fine in my OS 61 SF, MDS 48 and OS 46 SF, so I would expect the fuel to be okay ( or the TT 36 to be very finicky about it).

The hotter plug is a good idea, and I might give it a go. How about an OS #F ( four stroke) plug, or do you think the top end would suffer due to pre-ignition?

Best regards,

Kris
Old 11-14-2005, 09:11 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The OS "F" is often used to solve problems like yours. From my experience, I never suffered any preignition.

The preignition sound is described differently by people but the bottom line is that the engine does not run as smooth when pulling hard as it did without the preignition. Its usually described as a poping or crackle sound.

The unevenness you sometimes hear when you reduce the throttle and the engine is coasting is not preignition.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 11-14-2005, 01:42 PM
KrisG

dear w8ye,

Thanks again for the quick reaction. As soon as I get to the hobby shop, I'll buy myself one of the "F" plugs. If it solves the problem, it surely is a cheaper solution than shelving an engine that has nearly no running time.

Kris
Old 11-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kris,
If memory serves me correctly, there were three different needle valve sets that were shipped with the TT36 Pro. Only one of them would work correctly, the other two sets gave problems like you describe. If this engine is new, call the distributor and ask for a replacement carb or different needles.