Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

DP 210 blue head overheats

Old 11-21-2005, 05:18 PM
greyhound man
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DP 210 blue head overheats

I have a Dave patrick 210 (moki clone) that has developed an overheating problem...still running rich on cp 5% fuel ran fine for months, then with no indication of problems it overheated and locked up in the air after letting it cool down completely the compression felt normal so i restarted and in under 2 minutes it was over 250 degrees..... any ideas on where to start looking?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:23 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: DP 210 blue head overheats

Use a fuel with castor, CP will kill it.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:42 PM
greyhound man

Actually dave patrick recommends synthetic fuel in his 210's.[link=http://www.davepatrickmodels.com/frame.htm]www.davepatrickmodels.com/frame.htm[/link]
Old 11-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

I would use something with castor in it! What oil content is the CP 5% that you are using? You need 20% oil. I have used 5%nitro 16% oil (Byron's) and my moki 2.10 did not like it at all. It would heat up and start to pre detonate.
Also try a KB1 plug in it. (JoeAirport recommended this)- changed back to 20% and it cured it.
Look for posts by "JOEAIRPORT" he seems to be the forum Guru on the moki's/mark/dpm motors.

Julian
Old 11-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

I doubt you have a fuel type problem if its been fine for several months. Thats all nice but have you checked for other problems? Air leaks in lines or crimped fuel lines etc. Fuel lines making a 90 degree turn are actually pinched and make an engine run lean , get hot and quit.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:36 PM
greyhound man

I just pulled the head off for a quick peak and its F***ed the cylinder doesn't seem to be scared up but there is a glob of some kind of goo....maybe the plastic keeper from the wrist pin inside the piston? will have to investigate further.[&o]
Old 11-21-2005, 11:47 PM
greyhound man

Well after a second look it appears to be a smear of some kind of melted metal.....not plastic. anyone know where to get parts? thinking new piston, ring and wrist pin assembly think the cylinder might be salvageable if i hone it out well. I doubt DPM has any parts support though.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:03 AM
PlaneKrazee

It is probably piston smeared on the cylinder. Get a brake hone (a used one is better than one with new stones) and carefully remove the metal. You may be able to save the piston if you use a jewelers file to clean the ring land and 320 wet/dry sandpaper on the skirt. Get a new ring from DPM, Morris, or Frank Bowman.

Use some castor or make sure it can never go lean, which is impossible. You can loose tank pressure, the fuel line can get a pin hole in it while you fly, etc.[>:]

A fuel with 18% oil with 20% of that castor would have saved your engine, if that smear is piston. When the CP oil boils off it is metal to metal. When castor gets too hot it will polymerize and coat the surfaces and the parts will still stay separate.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

If this was a fairly new engine with little cylinder wear and the cylinder was not scored, then I would not hone it out. That could cause a looser fit with the piston ring. See if you can remove the metal with scotch brite, or fine emery paper. Find out what part smeared on the cylinder wall, was it a wrist pen and or keeper, a bit of metal shaving left over from manufacture? No need to replace parts that are good, metal shavings left over are fairly common. CP will not flash till the fire is ignited, I doubt that is your problem. However, I would recommend a small amount of castor for long life. If piston and ring are damaged, it is possible that friction and blow by caused your overheating, else I would look at maybe a too hot glow plug.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:16 AM
PlaneKrazee

I have seen the same thing happen to another engine run on CP. I repaired it runs fine with Byron 16 to 20 % oil 80/20 synth/castor oil.

You will not even scratch the chrome liner with a used brake hone. The only thing removed will be the deposited metal and maybe a bit of discoloration.

Was the metal deposit at the aft edge of the exhaust outlet? Typically that is the hottest spot.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Sport_Pilot

You will not even scratch the chrome liner with a used brake hone.
Ringed engines are not usually chrome. You don't need to use a brake hone to remove aluminum from steel. It comes off fairly easily.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:01 PM
PlaneKrazee

The Moki is chromed.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Sport_Pilot

Maybe so, but this isn't a Moki.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:17 PM
PlaneKrazee

Moki, Mark, Dave Patrick. I believe they are all the same with the exception of the compression.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Sport_Pilot

Well, he said Moki clone, that to me means a cheaper copy from another manufacture. If this is simply brand label swaping, from the same manufacture; well even that doesn't guarentee they are the same, but far more likely.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:16 PM
greyhound man

The DPM 210 is made by Remek Motorok the same manufacturer as Moki and Mark. The metal is stuck to the cylinder wall pretty well but havn't had time to pull it apart further and find out what its from.