Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Need Info about a ROSS RC-61 NOT A ROSSI

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Need Info about a ROSS RC-61 NOT A ROSSI

Old 11-20-2002, 08:14 PM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Info about a ROSS RC-61 NOT A ROSSI

I recently acquired a nice looking engine....and I would like to find out some information about it.....

ROSS RC-61
Made in USA

Does anyone out there know anything about these engines?
I Know there were Ross multi-cylinder engines made....could this have been made by the same people?????

All information appreciated.....
Old 11-21-2002, 09:17 AM
DerFly

Default Need Info about a ROSS RC-61 NOT A ROSSI

Yes, produced by the same people. I believe they suffered a weak crankshaft so probably better to put it in your display case.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:43 AM
EBHolmes

Default Ross .61

CaptKAOS,

My dad is a long time modeler (See his Brown B-2 Racer on the cover of the Feb '03 RC Modeler Magazine) and he designed the artwork and handled advertising for Ross Engines back in the '70s. I spent many days as a child in the Northfield machine shop watching Ross manufacture and test engines. The multi-cylinder engines were the brain children of Lou Ross. The .61 single was a collaboration between Lour Ross and Sal Battaglia (sp?) who was a competitive pattern flyer at that time. The threaded end of the shaft on the early .61 tended to bend or break in a crash. The latter engines had a replaceable threaded bolt or shaft that screwed into the end of the crankshaft. That solved the problem, but the negative rumors continued to circulate. My dad has an extensive collection of Ross engines (singles & multi-es) and still uses his singles. Some of his multi-es are too valuable to fly. As a matter of fact, he used a Ross .61 (not Rossi as the article states) in his "proof of concept" Brown B-2 Racer. Don't be afraid to use yours. It's a great engine even today. I wish I had one!