Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

46 engine comparison

Old 03-06-2006, 09:16 AM
radioflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46 engine comparison

I've been flying an OS .46SF off and on now for about 10 years and am wondering how it compares to the newer 46's, such as the OS 46AX.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:37 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: 46 engine comparison

The 46SF was a wonderful engine.

The AX is a little stronger.

I was going to say easier to start and tune but I don't remember any problems with the SF.

If you are going to buy a new OS engine from Tower, it will have to be the AX

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-06-2006, 10:59 AM
fd59

ORIGINAL: radioflier

I've been flying an OS .46SF off and on now for about 10 years and am wondering how it compares to the newer 46's, such as the OS 46AX.

Just stick with the 46SF, it is a better engine than most of today's .46s. I have a .46 ax and it is also a real nice engine, but if I had a 46SF I would just stay with it. There is not that much difference.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:25 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had 5 SF's, including a ringed version -- nice motor -- but no match for the newer 46's in power.

The FX, AX & TT Pro blow it away power-wise, & the AX & TT Pro are a fair bit more user friendly.

While I didn't have any liner failures, the SF was the start of the OS swan-song with liner problems -- except the ringed SF, which was just plain good.

It is still manufactured today -- many of the Chinese clones are SF's -- even to parts interchangeability. The LEO 46 Pro for example is an SF in disguise & the MECOA 46 Tomcat is so close that the differences are almost unnoticeable. If you want to compare SF performance with a modern 46, just put a MECOA up against a TT or AX & watch the difference.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:26 AM
XTOL

I have a ringed 46 SF and its terrific. Its about the easiest starting
engine I've got. I just prime it...grab the spinner and give
it a back flip and its starts first time 90% of the time.

I had it on my old Sig Kougar and it hauled that sucker
around with authority. I replaced the 46 SF with a GMS 47 last
season because the SF needs a new ring but I plan to
use it this year on a pylon racer.

If you are looking for a newer replacement then I would
go for the Thunder Tiger 46 Pro rather than the 46AX.
The 46AX is a good motor but the TT46 is every bit as good
for a lot less money. I have 3 of them.

Mike Hammer
Old 03-06-2006, 11:28 AM
w8ye

The main appearance and deminsional difference between the SF and the Chinese clones is the way the carb mounts.

Now you know where you can get a new piston/sleeve for your engine.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I agree with w8ye if yo are looking for another 46 go eith the TT pro 46 its just as good an engine and a lot cheaper.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:50 PM
w8ye

YES, the TT PRO 46 is one of the greatest 46's ever made.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Harry Lagman

The SF is a great engine and will last for a long time. Unless power is an issue, I'd leave it be.

The AX and TT .46 Pro are my pick of the modern engines too. They are both very consistent (each engine performs and throttles much the same) and are amongst the most powerful mass produced sport .46s available.

The AX is slightly more powerful than the TT (12.3k versus 12k with an APC 11x6) and both will pull about 1000 rpm more than an SF with an APC 11x6.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:33 PM
fd59

ORIGINAL: Harry Lagman

The AX is slightly more powerful than the TT (12.3k versus 12k with an APC 11x6) and both will pull about 1000 rpm more than an SF with an APC 11x6.

If you want approx 1,000 RPM gain on the .46SF then get a "Tower Muffler" and bolt it on. You will easily get the SF up to the power range of the ax & tt on stock mufflers.

Here is a link to the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJB16&P=C] Tower Muffer[/link].

If you want a whole lot more power in the same class and are willing to pay for it, then get an Irvine .53, OS .50SX(My Fav), or a Webra .50

Old 03-06-2006, 07:46 PM
britbrat

ORIGINAL: fd59

ORIGINAL: Harry Lagman

If you want approx 1,000 RPM gain on the .46SF then get a "Tower Muffler" and bolt it on. You will easily get the SF up to the power range of the ax & tt on stock mufflers.

Here is a link to the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJB16&P=C] Tower Muffer[/link].

If you want a whole lot more power in the same class and are willing to pay for it, then get an Irvine .53, OS .50SX(My Fav), or a Webra .50
--- or put a Tower muffler on the TT Pro, or OS AX (the tower muffler nearly eliminates the power differential between the AX & TT Pro) & gives them both a nice boost.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:00 PM
FrancisPerson

Why spend $100+ bucks for a FX or AX or even $85 for a TT 46 ????

A MECOA .46 runs with FX or a TT 46 for lots less $49 with trade in or $69 without. Add a $14 Tower muffler and it sings.

If ultimate performance is important then It's time for a Jett!

Francis
Old 03-07-2006, 03:40 PM
britbrat

ORIGINAL: FrancisPerson

Why spend $100+ bucks for a FX or AX or even $85 for a TT 46 ????

A MECOA .46 runs with FX or a TT 46 for lots less $49 with trade in or $69 without. Add a $14 Tower muffler and it sings.

If ultimate performance is important then It's time for a Jett!

Francis

It would be nice if the MECOA did Francis, but it just doesn't run with the AX or TT -- & it really isn't very close. With the Tower muffler it still can't match either the AX or TT when they are wearing their stock mufflers -- closer to be sure, but still not there.

I've had all three at the same time (I still have a MECOA 46 Tomcat & several TT 46 Pro's, but I no longer have the 46 AX) so I know from whence I speak. Nor is the MECOA even close in user friendliness. Too bad -- I bought in to the cheap-but-just-as-good idea myself. It works OK -- identical in performance to a LEO 46 Pro, but it ain't no TT or AX.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:38 PM
sigrun

ORIGINAL: radioflier
Essentially think uprated SF. FX was noticably stronger powerwise. AX is stronger again.

Current pick of the bunch is (d) none of the above, but TT Pro 46. TT Pro has marginally less power than the AX, but IME it's the effective equivalent in every way of the FX but with a front mounted inclined N/V (desirable) all bonused by being available at a significantly lesser price.

I own good example SF, FX and TT Pro. I train guys on or test fly their AXs (&SXs) all the time every other day. Wouldn't consider buying an .46AX for myself since trying TT's Pro 46. I didn't believe it myself when I was first told. Once I tried one, I purchased another 4 over the past year. I'm now a TT Pro convert and owe an sincere apology to the person who advocated them. Brand loyalty or personal bias notwithstanding, there's simply no reason to choose O.S.' AX over TT's Pro 46. AX is a good enough engine, just from my perspective it doesn't justify the premium asked. If you've loved your SF, any of the above will satisfy you equally...and then some.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:51 PM
sigrun

If it's the engine I'm thinking of you're talking about, I'm with Britbrat on this Francis. The MECOA .46 I've seen is a quality SF copy made by and formerly sold as Leo also retailed internationally recently under the Megatech brand name. Leo is owned by the nephew of the owner of TT with input from that source.

[link=http://www.justengines.unseen.org/Leo46.htm]Leo .46 review[/link]

Stunning value, reasonably good quality, but its performance is on a par with the O.S. 46SF. A decent engine at a stunning price, but the FX, TT Pro and AX all outperform it powerwise. But if you want an SF replacement, the MECOA 46 is a great choice. Not just speaking hypothetically btw. Seen 'em in action and flown 'em. We had a plethoria of Leo/MECOA/Megatech .46 SF copies at my field about this time last year when the distributor introduced them and one of the LHS did a huge irresistable price promo push on them.

Edit: Review link added.