Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum 52 FS idle w/o glow driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 08:31 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum 52 FS idle w/o glow driver

My magnum 52 four stroke WILL NOT drop below 4000 rpm w/o a glow driver on it. the engine is relatively new with only about 45 minutes of run time on it...with the glow driver on the plug, the motor will run great, all the way down to 2200 rpm. if i drop the rpm below about 4000 without the glow driver on the plug, the engine just quits, no sputter, not choke, no nothing, just dies. I have tuned the top end to about 400 rpm off max and am trying to tune the low end, but it won't idle well enough to do so. i have tried a number of different settings on the low end with ZERO luck.

any suggestions???

15% powermaster
os type f plug
12x5 prop

i have a magnum 91 FS that runs great! and i haven't had any sort of problem with it, so i'm starting to get frustrated with the 52! i know they have potential, i'm just having a hard time finding it

thanks!
Old 03-25-2006, 09:20 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Magnum 52 FS idle w/o glow driver

They seem to be easy enough to set up. I have two 61's a 91, and 120. All four strokes.

My 61 (which looks exactly like a 52) has one thread showing on the idle needle.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-25-2006, 11:01 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call the folks that do the warranty work for Magnum engines. You should be able to idle lower than 4k rpm by now, assuming that you have tried a different plug (OS Type-F) and found the same results. They are great folks to work with. Don't struggle in the dark. It's a waste of time.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:09 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try starting from scratch with the low speed needle. When they keep quitting at that rpm range, it can be hard to tell if it is rich or lean.
Close the throttle all the way down until only a small pin tip will fit into the throat past the barrel. Next, attach an extra piece of fuel line to the carb nipple. Now try to blow through the fuel line. Adjust the low speed needle until you can just barely blow air through the line. That will get your low speed needle very close to the correct setting. Now you can fine tune from there.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:43 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the fuel is not fresh, it will give you fits. Use the OS "F" plug.

FBD.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:00 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was inverted, with a cline regualter and would idle @ 2,100 with a OS F running on 15%.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:03 AM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: *JCB*

My magnum 52 four stroke WILL NOT drop below 4000 rpm w/o a glow driver on it. the engine is relatively new with only about 45 minutes of run time on it...with the glow driver on the plug, the motor will run great, all the way down to 2200 rpm. if i drop the rpm below about 4000 without the glow driver on the plug, the engine just quits, no sputter, not choke, no nothing, just dies. I have tuned the top end to about 400 rpm off max and am trying to tune the low end, but it won't idle well enough to do so. i have tried a number of different settings on the low end with ZERO luck.

any suggestions???

15% powermaster
os type f plug
12x5 prop

i have a magnum 91 FS that runs great! and i haven't had any sort of problem with it, so i'm starting to get frustrated with the 52! i know they have potential, i'm just having a hard time finding it

thanks!
Are you able to pinch the fuel line between fuel tank and carb during idle? If so, and when you pinch, rpm goes up, then idle is too rich. If when you pinch, the engine quits without speeding up, then it's too lean.

Usually if it idles with the glow driver on but quits w/o the glow driver, then the idle is too rich. Try the idle screw at 2 turns from fully closed, and gradually turn in at 45 deg increment until you find the ballpark.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Test005

I have a Magnum .52fs and it idles pretty low. Still breaking in, but the engine performs very good and is really reliable.
The setting for my low speed needle is 2 turns out and the high speed is about 2.5 turns out. This setting seem to be good for my engine.

MAS 12x6
OS-F plug
15% nitro
Old 03-26-2006, 01:22 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If your fuel tank is too high, most engines will give you fits on setting the needle valves and quitting on you.

Enjoy,

Jim