Vega engines made in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 10:00 PM
vector-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vega engines made in the UK

Hello,
Is anyone familiar with the Vega line of engines built in England about 10-15 years ago? I am looking for information about a 50 twin they made.

Thanks,
Lewis email [email protected]
Old 06-22-2003, 04:45 PM
FSkilbeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vega engines made in the UK

Yes

I've got a Vega 50 twin. Its a side valve single throw crank. Not very powerful but very quiet. Needs 10% Nitro to get a good tick over. Carbs are very small (look like PAW carbs) and tank is unpressuised. Needs electic starter to spin up.

Lovely offbeat sound due to single crack.

Send e-mail if you want further info.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:26 AM
kenhumphries

Default RE: Vega engines made in the UK

Hi - Yes, I have some knowledge of the Vega engine range. For a few years I helped John Harbone, the designer and manufacturer of these engines, with some of the development and manufacture of them. What was it that you specifically wanted to know? I note that one contrubutor comments that the carbs looked like P.A.W.'s, this is true, as they were based on the very simple lines of the P.A.W. offering. Some of the later (and larger) engines used carbs from other manufacturers, but no significant improvement over very basic design carbs were ever found. The very early engines were indeed best run on 10% nitro for a reliable tickover, but the later engines, including the .50, .60, 1.20 (longstroke and shortstroke), and the 1.80 twins were all intended to run on NO nitro, irrespective of fuel used - be it castor based, semi-synthetic, or full synthetic. The real secret to a good tickover was to use Super Tigre speed glow plugs. For some reason they realy gave utter reliability.
Ill health forced John into retirement, and into a change of home address where he was unable to consider going on. The manufacturing rights were sold to Phil Ramsey, of Ramsey Engineering here in the U.K. - I was not compedent enough to perform some of the machining operations myself to enable production to continue with John, which was sad.
I still have some of the last engines ever made, including a .25, .60, .90, and the very first 1.20 twin (Number 001) produced. This was a longstroke, but all others were made as short strokes.
If I can be of any other help to other interested Vega fans, then please feel free.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Harrystottuul

Hi,
Only just discovered this site. How remiss of me, not to have found it until now.
I have been an avid collector of Vega engines for many years, I believe that I have many of John Harbones (a fine engineer & a gentleman) prototype and development engines and examples of many of the production ones.
I have been unable to find much information and/or articles on these beatifully crafted motors, other than in John Goodalls sadly missed Model Engine World (by the way is any one else peeved at having paid for, but NOT had their final issue of MEW from the current publisher).
If you read this Andrew, seems to me there is a lot of us you owe the last issue of MEW to !
The thought struck me that with the passing of time (and sadly also of too many of the guys with information) its about time any of us with any relevent history and/or information really ought to consider pooling it and recording it, or it could be lost for ever.
Anyone with any info., or literature, they would either part with or allow to be copied, or even parts or engines that they are thinking of disposing of, then please get in touch.
There are (to my limited knowledge) the following engines that I would still like to aquire these being the 60 twin and the 180 twin.
Best Wishes to all.
Mike H
Old 02-18-2007, 03:59 PM
kenhumphries

Hi Mike H - I would be interested to know of the engines that you have of Johns, particularly the prototypes and development engines. As we are only a few miles apart geographically, perhaps we could meet up. Feel free to call on 01905 426645, or e.mail [email protected]. (This invitation is extended to any Vega owners or enthusiasts) I would love to have sight of the write-up by John Goodall in Model Engine World - I did not know it existed.
For those who knew John personally, but have lost contact with him, I can say that his health of late has been poor, and he has had two recent heart attacks. His spirit however, remains an upbeat as ever.
I have been contacted recently by an antipodean enthusiast who wishes to write a complete history of Vega. John has given his O.K. to the project, and asked me to gather together all contributions and anecdotes. John will of course provide the main background factual information
(provided that his health permits).
I have spoken to Phil Ramsey of Ramsey Engineering recently. He bought the manufacturing rights from John many years back, and I supplied a latest version .60 for "blueprinting" prior to a manufacturing run. Phil tells me that he has no intention of ever resurecting the marque back to the marketplace.
I think that you are right Mike, Vega should not be permitted to fade into obscurity, and it will be a red letter day when a full and factual history is recorded somewhere for all the appreciators of the marque to refer to.
Ken Humphries
Old 02-18-2007, 04:06 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FSkilbeck

Yes

I've got a Vega 50 twin. Its a side valve single throw crank. Not very powerful but very quiet. Needs 10% Nitro to get a good tick over. Carbs are very small (look like PAW carbs) and tank is unpressuised. Needs electic starter to spin up.

Lovely offbeat sound due to single crack.

Send e-mail if you want further info.

---------------

Is there any chance that you can post a .wav or mp3 file of it idling for us? Hmmm? Pretty please???? <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 03-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Neil Harbone

Here are some pictures that im proud to have and share with you. John Harbone's GREAT engines.That inspired the globe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63209.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	633629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48668.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	633630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35056.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	633631  
Old 04-13-2011, 05:58 AM
vince0001608

hi i bought a vega engines about a year ago and the one way bearing casing cracked its an 8mm bearing do you know where i would get a new one
Old 04-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Gentleman, I had not heard of Vega engines before so when I saw the title of this thread I got excited thinking another high quality Irvine like engine was going to be manufactured. You folks make good stuff over there. Real shame about Irvine going down the tubes.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:21 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Were the Vega engines a sleeve valve design, similar to the RCV engines?
They look interesting. But I don't think that any of them made it to the USA. I don't remember reading about them or seeing them anywhere until this thread.
Thanks for posting. It is a interesting engine design.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Earl, that does appear to be the case except that the glow plug doesn't seem to be in a timed port like on the RCV.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Were the Vega engines a sleeve valve design, similar to the RCV engines?
They look interesting. But I don't think that any of them made it to the USA. I don't remember reading about them or seeing them anywhere until this thread.
Thanks for posting. It is a interesting engine design.

Side-valve, I think.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:39 PM
kenhumphries

I can confirm that the Vega enines were a side valve design, not in any way like the R.C.V.
Perhaps it is a little premature of me to mention the fact, but there is a definite plan by a U.K. engineering establishment to resurrect the marque. There are certain legal considerations to be ironed out, but a blueprinting and one off manufacture of a .30 engine has already taken place. I would be pleased to pass on any interest by fellow followers who would wish to own and fly one of these new motors as and when they become available.
[email protected]
Old 04-13-2011, 01:58 PM
earlwb

Cool!  a classic flat head design or side valve as you say.
I like it.
It would be nice if someone could get it going again.
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:17 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/vega30.html Drawings are available.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:46 AM
earlwb

oops sorry I answered my own question.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:37 AM
Lunkentuss

Hi Ken.
 I can tell you that I have some VEGA-engines. The 25.50 61 and the 180.  We are using the 180 in a model that John made. The Gloster Gladiator. To get the engine to run we use a ignition-system from a swedish make. The "Runtronic".  I met John at an exhibition where I helpt Neil Tidey to sell the Laser-engines.
Thomas Nathanson  Sweden.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:15 AM
Reginald

ORIGINAL: Harrystottuul

Hi,
Only just discovered this site. How remiss of me, not to have found it until now.
I have been an avid collector of Vega engines for many years, I believe that I have many of John Harbones (a fine engineer & a gentleman) prototype and development engines and examples of many of the production ones.
I have been unable to find much information and/or articles on these beatifully crafted motors, other than in John Goodalls sadly missed Model Engine World (by the way is any one else peeved at having paid for, but NOT had their final issue of MEW from the current publisher).
If you read this Andrew, seems to me there is a lot of us you owe the last issue of MEW to !
The thought struck me that with the passing of time (and sadly also of too many of the guys with information) its about time any of us with any relevent history and/or information really ought to consider pooling it and recording it, or it could be lost for ever.
Anyone with any info., or literature, they would either part with or allow to be copied, or even parts or engines that they are thinking of disposing of, then please get in touch.
There are (to my limited knowledge) the following engines that I would still like to aquire these being the 60 twin and the 180 twin.
Best Wishes to all.
Mike H
I made a scan of the relevant MEW page on the Vega for those interested. I personally do have 2, one 50 Twin ser.NR.029 and a Single 91 ser.nr. 207. I obtained both engines from ebay and they were very dirty so I obviously opened them up and gave them the usual U-son bath. With all due respect but I do not consider myself a fan of these engines.

Name:	Pn35958.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	1647422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63143.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	1647423  
Old 08-11-2011, 08:19 AM
kenhumphries

Hello Reginald
Vega engines have never been everone's cup of tea, especially if high power and sophistication are your forte. If your need is for a quiet engine of compact proportions, then Vega is the one for you. If you are not a fan of the engines, would you consider selling me the .50 twin - it is possible that I had a hand in its production.
Ken
Old 08-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Reginald

Hello Ken
The reason I am not very keen on the engines has nothing to do with high power sophistication or quietness. There are many 4-strokes that are fulfilling the demand for quietness. I agree that the engines are compact.
One thing I dislike is the fact that there are no timing marks on the cams and due to the design of these side valves, it is pretty hard do determine correct setting. Espescially when engines are run on castor, when one takes
off the back cover the gears are pulled out of position due to the sticky mess. It is not that I do'nt know how to set timing, Schillings engines have no marks neither, but those are OHV engines and one can visually see what
one's doing. Even those very adorable great Laser engines lack timer marks and there must be a reason why Laser does have a site showing drawnings for correct timer setting ? Why not put those on the back of the cam ?
I feel Vega's are rather difficult engines to rebuild. It is some time ago but I seem to remember that removing the valves was not simple. I would encourage the re-appearance of the engines. They look very attractive. As far as
running is concerned I cannot judge since I have never ran one personally. They are not for sale. I have other engines in my collection that are not my favourites but that does not mean I trow them out. Vega's are part of
that great model engine history. I may be wrong some some of the above and do not mind if you can correct it. I am alway eager to learn. My kind greetings.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:01 PM
kenhumphries

Hello Reginald

That was a prompt reply - thanks. I would concur with all of your comments. I suppose that John Harbone never considered the long term prospect of Vega owners stripping down and rebuilding their engines. Had it never occured to you that there is no valve setting ajustment? They never seemed to need it. Yes, the valves "hammered in" after initial running, and seemed to just stay there. The whole concept of Johns seems to have been "fiddle free" - in the nicest possible way of course! John took great care in assembling each engine himself before testing and despatch, his attention to quality control was meticulous. His servicing charges (very few occurences of it) were rediculously low, and he was always keen to minimise the need for Vega owners to strip their engines down.
Both Vega, and John Harbone, were in a inimitable class of their own, with their own virtues and foibles. I remain proud to have had the opportunity to have been involved with Vega, and content that John remains a dear friend.
One final observation, Vega do well on sythetic fuels, and their use does help in some degree in keeping the internals clean.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Reginald

Here is part of the instructions for the Schillings engines, that's way back in the seventies. Bottom right text mentions the inlet and outlet degrees (einlass-auslass) for cam adjustment.
All you need then is a greidscheibe which is of course a 360° protractor. But you do need timing ° if no marks are made on the cams.

Name:	Bz78925.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	1648946  
Old 01-19-2016, 11:47 AM
stevejohn01

Hi everyone, I have a Vega 25 engine in great condition, I'm thinking off selling it because i never use it, it just sits on a shelf in my living room looking pretty. does anyone know the value of one of these masterpieces? i also have a radio queen that i never use, i recovered it in 2010 and haven't flown it since.

Name:	20042011726.jpg
Views:	1196
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	2142438   Click image for larger version

Name:	20042011722.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	2142439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3205[1].jpg
Views:	1209
Size:	846.1 KB
ID:	2142440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3204[1].jpg
Views:	1277
Size:	880.0 KB
ID:	2142441  
Old 01-20-2016, 07:26 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Nice engine. Nice Radio Queen. I built it's smaller sister, the Radio Princess, many years ago. A lovely flyer.

To find out the value of the Vega you will need to auction it. The market for the Vega's is too small to predict its value. I suspect it will bring a tidy sum as it is a small displacement, which the 4 stroke collectors seem to like.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:48 AM
Papajoe90

Hi all, first post so please be gentle, I’ve inherited a Vega 91 engine, new and still boxed and know nothing about it. Can anyone shed some light on it? Serial number is 212. Thanks Joe

Originally Posted by fiery
Nice engine. Nice Radio Queen. I built it's smaller sister, the Radio Princess, many years ago. A lovely flyer.

To find out the value of the Vega you will need to auction it. The market for the Vega's is too small to predict its value. I suspect it will bring a tidy sum as it is a small displacement, which the 4 stroke collectors seem to like.