Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

SK ENGINES

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Turk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SK ENGINES

Hi Yeorgios,forget to order from outside,go to closest auto parts shop to you and ask for
6902 (Rear bearing) and 6900 ( front) Front bearing better to be z type(one side covered)
Here they are about 6-7$ for pair.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, George 32 from Athens,

Turk1's the man. He's been flying SK engines for a long time. I do have 2 .90s and a 50. The SKs were designed for torque and not high rpm. They have narrow transfer ports and won't turn up. The 50 likes a 12-5 prop best.

It's hard to tell you needle valve settings since fuel, altitude, weather can all change it.

Do not lean them out super lean. Keep it set where it leaves a little smoke trail.

For the low end setting, I idle down and let it run for a timed 30 seconds, then pop full power. If the engine rumbles and blows smoke, it's too rich. If it chokes, spits and maybe quits, it's too lean. I normally change 1/8 of a turn at a time until I can go from idle to full power without stumbling.

The SK carbs are the best Chinese carbs I have found. I have used the 90 carbs on a Tower .75, Evo .61 and Evo 1.00. They have excellent idle and mid range.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:42 PM
GEORGE_32

thanks!!! for the info!!! i finished with the needle setings ..and its perfect!!!!!!!
i am very happy ...and i realized that this motor is far superior than other brand names.....its long stroke its a torque motor..( a nice 2 stroke motor but with the good of a 4 stroke engine.. who carres about rpm, ....:P

now something more important!!!!! i found the it needs a medium heat ''LONG REACH PLUG'' FROM THE SITE THAT SELL ALSO ..www.atsrcplanes.com/skengines.htm
SO ...is this a better plug ??? long reach??
thanks!!
Old 01-30-2010, 03:39 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
All engines today can use long reach plugs!!! There are 3 different plug sizes available since 40 or 50 years ago. Short reach plugs (used by some American manufacturers (Fox, Firebird and K&B) medium reach plugs (all Japanese manufacturers like OS end Enya plugs) and all the rest ( Rossi, Nova Rossi, Super Tigre etc)

For best performance on 0-5% nitro fuel use a Nova Rossi 4 or 4A plug. Rossi 3 or 4 and OS 8 or Enya 3 will also work good.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Turk1

One can almost never make a SK 50 overheat damage( Only some temporary power loss in the air)if fuel has some castor in it.So I recommend to try all kind of glow plugs on heat range and also reach.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems SK still hasn't done a fix on there rod pins on the crank. I got 10 flights out of my new SK .90 when it let go. Been trying to get hold of anyone at Kangke and no one seems to be home? Two straight days of calling. Some service department if they can't answer a phone call. So far I have bought 4 of the .90s. This is the first one with a big problem. Love the engines, really hate having to call every day until someone answers a phone.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:53 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard
It seems SK still hasn't done a fix on there rod pins on the crank. I got 10 flights out of my new SK .90 when it let go. Been trying to get hold of anyone at Kangke and no one seems to be home? Two straight days of calling. Some service department if they can't answer a phone call. So far I have bought 4 of the .90s. This is the first one with a big problem. Love the engines, really hate having to call every day until someone answers a phone.
Bad luck right now. This is the time of the biggest holiday of the year for the Chinese, the Chinese New Year Holiday. They take from 15 to 20 days off, almost the entire non-military population of the country too. You need to wait for the end of the holiday and a few extra days to give them a chance to get organized again. The holiday started Feb 3 this year.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:32 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just pack it up and mail it to them. I had a SK 90 bust a pin as well a couple years ago and the turn around was pretty quick. They installed a new crank in mine and it held up great after I got it back. I also ordered 2 JBA 56 engines from them about a month ago and I recieved them quick as well....so maybe it is like earlwb said and they are on some sorta vacation because I have always thought there customer service has been good at least in the dealings I have had with them.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Turk1

Kangke is a Chinese firm.So they should be on vacation.Crankpin problems on SK 90 is something common.I have heard several cases.But my SK 80 (same crankshaft) is running flawless since many years.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Gray Beard

The address and phone number I was given for service is: BJs Model Service 51 Hillside Dr. Beacon Falls CT and there seems to be no one home?? This was my fourth SK .90 so I'm not overly upset about the crank pin letting go. I am however getting a bit put out by not being able to speak to anyone. When I have a problem getting hold of a person at a company I deal with I write them off and let people know about there lack of customer service. I'm just starting my morning calling so maybe today will be my lucky day. I like the SK .90 better then OS but if there is a problem with an OS engine there is no trouble speaking to someone in there service department.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:26 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Maybe Bill is in bed at home and sick with the flu? I don't know that BJs Model Engine Service is a big operation:

http://www.bj-model-engines.com/home.html

Sending in the engine with a note and a copy of your receipt sounds like good advice. When someone actually answers the phone, they're just going to tell you to send them the engine anyway.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Maybe Bill is in bed at home and sick with the flu? I don't know that BJs Model Engine Service is a big operation:

http://www.bj-model-engines.com/home.html

Sending in the engine with a note and a copy of your receipt sounds like good advice. When someone actually answers the phone, they're just going to tell you to send them the engine anyway.
That was what he told me after calling for four days to buy this engine?? He really did sound like he was on his last legs then. I finally gave up and just boxed the engine and mailed it out to him today. At one point in time there was a lady there who took in orders by phone, been a while and I figure in these times it's down to a one man operation like a number of small operations. As long as the problem is taken care of I'll be happy.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had very good service from them over the years. I hope they are still in business.

Bruce
Old 02-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: landeck

I have had very good service from them over the years. I hope they are still in business.

Bruce
So have I. I just put the engine back in the box and mailed it off today. I was still unable to get hold of anyone at service on the phone.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:52 AM
Turk1

An unlucky SK50,broken bearing and result.It will be ready to fly this weekend.(crankcase ready but waiting for bearings)
Notice that half bearing ball.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:45 PM
tonywayne

Received my first SK engine by mail today "SK 50". Mounted it on test stand with a MA S-2 series 12X5 prop. Did a typical ABC break in "rich and lean cycles". After about 6 tanks it is turning 12200 WOT "set rich" and idles at 2200 with very good transition and reliable idle. This is with an old used glow plug thats been rolling around in my field box for years i might add.
I am extremely impressed with the smoothness and quality of this engine for a price of 79$. It performs just as good or better than brands twice the $. It will be going in a Hobby Lobby Telesport.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Turk1

Hi Tony firstly I wish you to have lots of fun with your new engine.
I didnt know SK brand is still on production.
JBA is the manufacturer and they jumped JBA brand after SK generation.
I also recommend you to have JBA 56 F glow engine when you need one.
Take alook at:
(Unfortunately Kangke doesnt sell JBA F type engines so http://www.himodel.com/engines/JBA_F...ine_56ABC.html