Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS Makes A Change!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Dsegal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Makes A Change!

Did someone fire the lawyers at OS who told them they had to have those stupid rear-mounted needle valves? I can't believe that the new .55AX has (hold on to your hats) a FRONT mounted needle valve with the shafted angled sensibly to the rear. Wow! Isn't that what Thunder Tiger has had on their engines for years? My heart is still fluttering from excitement. What took them so long?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:29 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: OS Makes A Change!

I remember when the Thunder Tiger Pro 46 came out with the angled needle valve, every one hated them because they would beak off if you looked at them real hard. They would break in almost every crash whether the needle valve was hit or not.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:33 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I remember when the Thunder Tiger Pro 46 came out with the angled needle valve, every one hated them because they would beak off if you looked at them real hard. They would break in almost every crash whether the needle valve was hit or not.
Crash? Wot's that? :-)
Old 10-25-2006, 10:35 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A dirt nap
Old 10-25-2006, 10:41 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:00 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I much, much prefer a remote needle valve that I can mount wherever I please.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:44 AM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

Why not have the rear carburetor like 4-strokes and some gasoline engines? This way the needle can be directly on the carb, unangled, and far from the prop.

I sliced my fingers' center knuckle while adjusting the needle of an un-angled, non-remote needle. I didn't put my finger into the prop, but I turned the needle valvel with my entire hand instead of just the 2 fingers. So as I rotate my hand to turn the NV counter-clockwise, the fingers' mid knuckles are brought forward, and sliced by the prop tip of non other than Master Airscrew. It turned out to be a draw, because the surgeon found a piece of prop inside my ligament. So it wasn't complete defeat for my finger.

Yes, it was my fault. But it was a cold day, and my fingers weren't that responsive to articulate by themselves without assisted by arm movement.

I would favor at least an angled NV. The only engine I had with remote NV was OS 160 FX, and I had fuel draw problem, but I think it was caused by insufficient pressure from Pitts muffler.

I had the Thunder Tiger 46 w/ angled NV. I think it's a good compromise between safety and mixture reliability.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:13 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I despise the remote needle valves, but I love the angled needle valve coming from the traditional front mounted assembly. To me, this is the perfect compromise.

Anyone wanting a remote needle valve can still use one by obtaining it separately and then opening their original high speed needle a bit so that the rear mounted needle valve has something to work with. Problem solved.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like them either. I replaced all mine with new carbs. Now that I have this little new OS .15 CV-A. It has a remote too[>:] Remotes are like a breeding ground for cockroaches. THeres nothing wrong with getting your knuckle scraped from time to time. Builds character and respect towards the equipment your working with. Not to mention it stings like a SOB!![X(] PLus it makes that really cool sound that gets everyones attention and you start dancing around and making armpit farts!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CH, you crack me up!!

I have never had an engine with a remote needle valve till I bought a couple recently. But they have yet to be run. So, in all my years I have been tweaking 90* mounted needle valves just fractions of an inch away from that meat slicer. Adds a little spice to life!
Old 10-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Red B.

ORIGINAL: Dsegal

Did someone fire the lawyers at OS who told them they had to have those stupid rear-mounted needle valves? I can't believe that the new .55AX has (hold on to your hats) a FRONT mounted needle valve with the shafted angled sensibly to the rear. Wow! Isn't that what Thunder Tiger has had on their engines for years? My heart is still fluttering from excitement. What took them so long?
Probably OS decided on the rear mounted needle valves in order to avoid potentially costly U.S. lawsuits from people hurting themselves when tuning the engines. Most European engines that are not commonly sold in the U.S. use carb mounted needle valves.

/Red B.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:45 PM
sigrun

ORIGINAL: Red B.
Probably OS decided on the rear mounted needle valves in order to avoid potentially costly U.S. lawsuits.
With you on this Red, if I can the word "probably. As usual, change for such motives benefitting is sold as "NEW" so it must be "better" and "improved" for anyone incapable of discerning between spin and truth, and what better guise than under the cover of the hackneyed and incontestable sacred cow of safety?

Improving the margin of safety with no detriment to performance, Enya and Thunder Tiger got it right with the insertable elbow mod and its obvious alternative, the angled N/V. Despite the assault if an endless 'our primary concern is YOUR safety' blurb, O.S. didn't. Loss of face be damned. It's simply smart to copycat what works even if it represents a tacit admission they got it wrong. I'm glad O.S. have relented with a move back to a front mounted needle valve assembly, and had sufficient sense to incline it regardless of the parallelling unspoken acknowledgment in doing so.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:54 PM
blw

I'm sure that lawsuits had nothing to do with it.....maybe something else....
Old 10-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Cyclic Hardover

My first remote was a 91fx 8-9 years ago. We all know how those turned out. If this .15 gives me any crap on my little Seagull Extra, I'm going to borrow a #3wood and send that thing off like an adopted titleist and promptly end it. Then send the remains back to Nitroplanes just for aggravation.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Hey Red B how are you? Planning on any return visits?
Old 10-26-2006, 11:34 PM
AMB

Angled front needle great idea on my TT pros years ago they sometimes put a spring on the needle so it could make almost a 90 degree turn and attached to the side of the fus. PROBLEM if it came loose it would swing into the prop and could be thrown in your face martin
Old 10-26-2006, 11:41 PM
AMB

seanychen the skin is finally healing on my knuckle joint after lasts weeks prop brush with my irvine 25
Old 10-26-2006, 11:47 PM
AMB

Desgal rats shudda waited just got a 46AX runs like a striped ape however see post on diesel site matin
Old 10-27-2006, 07:20 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I like to rotate the carb CCW a little and that does two things, it moves the needle away from the prop and makes it so that the throttle control rod does not move in and out, the barrel does the rod does not, try it you'll like it.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:31 AM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

There's nothing wrong with high quality remote needles. Think Jett. OS early remote needles had bubbleitis. Their more recent needles are good designs, IMHO.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree, I have put MDS and Fox remote needles on several engines, the engine wouldn't care if the HS needle was in the tank. All three of my OS LA's have them.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Out side of taking a fraction of a sec longer to get the engine to tune with each setting , I have never had a prob with a remote needle,but I have never had any trouble with the needle on a good carb either.I have seen a few thats worn the treads and caused the o ring to leak fuel or suck air.So its 6 of one half dozen of the other to me.

I have my doubts about any lawsuits but in todays world one never knows .
Woman sues petstore for selling her a mean snake and wins ..Shakes my head ???????
Old 11-04-2006, 02:26 PM
chevy43

I don't mind the pain and the blood, it is a cut tendon that never heals right and a bent finger that sucks. I was adjusting the compression on a PAW diesel mounted inside a cowel when the APC (razor blade prop ) cut into my pinky knuckle on my right hand. I probably should have gone to the emergency room but instead I glued it shut with CA and taped it to a mixing stick. Must have been 4 months ago. It doesn't quite straighten all the way. I think I cut the tendon but not all the way. No real big deal but it could have been worse. You need your tendons!