Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

How I tune my 2 Strokes. What do you think?

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

How I tune my 2 Strokes. What do you think?

Old 01-08-2007, 10:08 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How I tune my 2 Strokes. What do you think?

My typical flights are probably 5-7 minutes long.
I will size my tank(s ) to allow a 10-12 minute flight, to have a reserve, just in case I want to fly a bit longer. (9-10 oz. tank for a .46 for example )
I don't count clicks either...I just adjust the needle until the engine is running the way I want it and go...

one thing that strikes me whenever I read one of these type of threads is...why does it seem that one is stuck with leaving the needle valve in one position for the duration of the flight?
Why can't you just land...and re-adjust it if necessary?

One of my methods is to adjust it for max power, and back off just a wee bit, (going by ear, not tach ) and take off. If it starts to sound like it might be leaning out too much, I will land, and richen it a tad. I will then fly the rest of the tank out.

Next time I fly it, it will be rich...and if it's too rich, I will lean it a bit, and then just fly for my 5-7 minute flight, and land before it gets the chance to go too lean...and will typically have 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank left...
Old 01-08-2007, 02:30 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Evolution Engines is trying to accomplish roughly the same thing by putting their limiter on the needle valve. Won't let you get it too far out of the "range". Unless you take the limiter off. And we'd never do that......[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 01-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: SitNFly

I think Evolution Engines is trying to accomplish roughly the same thing by putting their limiter on the needle valve. Won't let you get it too far out of the "range". Unless you take the limiter off. And we'd never do that......[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Yes we would. [sm=lol.gif]

You can't adjust them enough at 6000' elevation without removing the limit pin in the needle and adjusting the low end limits too. We do it all the time. Have too or they run like yours would at sea level if it was 2 turns rich.