Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

ASP or Sanye FS61AR Engine what can you tell me

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

ASP or Sanye FS61AR Engine what can you tell me

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:50 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ASP or Sanye FS61AR Engine what can you tell me

I am wanting to get one of these but I figured I would play it safe and ask for a little feedback, If you only have a bad opinion and no expierience with these engines please don't post. I only want feedback, not a brand war like I've seen so many times before. Also I see at Hobby People they sell replacement parts for a Magnum 61 4-stroke but don't sell the engine for some reason, Anyone know why they no longer carry it.

Thanks for any help
Dauntae
Old 02-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Ejiro
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASP or Sanye FS61AR Engine what can you tell me

Daunte,

I have got two ASP two stroke engines; a .46 and a .53. They both are good engines. I also have a Magnum .91 four stroke and it is also a good engine.

In my old club in Bergen, Norway these engines were quite common and I do not recall anyone that did not run well.

One thing I can say is this: the quality is not as good as the Japanese O.S engines, and so you may have a difficult time getting some of them to run right, but with a little patience, they will run right. And last as long.

Speaking broadly, I find that folks in Europe, where taxes are generally higher, are more likely to own these cheaper engines; this is mainly because better quality is harder to justify. And for this reason they also more likely to stick with them and make them run right.
So if you are confident in your engine tuning capabilities, I would say give it a try.

As for the second part of your question, I have no idea why Hobby people do not sell the engine.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:32 AM
Dauntae

Thank you for the quick reply Ejiro< I too have a Magnum 91 and it runs great without a problem but my question came up when I noticed that Magnum stopped the 61 and wondered if there where problems with that particular size. I am a 4-stroke lover and have 5 at this time and know about caring for the 4-stroke and tuning issues, I just don't want to end up buying a problematic engine. The plane is a small pitts bipe and a 70 would need too big of a prop for it and I wanted a little more power than the 52 offers.

Thank you
Dauntae
Old 02-14-2007, 05:51 AM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

Engine manufactures try to go with the trends. Take Saito -Nothing wrong with the 45 but it became the 50 .Nothing wrong with the 50 but it became the 56. Nothing wrong with the 56 but it became the 62. It will probably stop there. OS 50 will probably replaced with the 55. Hence Magnum went from 61 to 70 and will probably stay there. (for awhile)
Old 02-14-2007, 09:25 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: speedster 1919

Engine manufactures try to go with the trends. Take Saito -Nothing wrong with the 45 but it became the 50 .Nothing wrong with the 50 but it became the 56. Nothing wrong with the 56 but it became the 62. It will probably stop there. OS 50 will probably replaced with the 55. Hence Magnum went from 61 to 70 and will probably stay there. (for awhile)

----------

The logical thing to do would have been to drop the .52 and to keep the .61. They were in similarly sized crankcases.

The Magnum .70 is nearly as large and heavy as the .91. If you're going to have the girth and the weight of the .91, you might as well benefit from the increased displacement of the .91, even though there probably isn't that much difference in output power anyway.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-14-2007, 11:47 AM
boxbeam
My Feedback: (188)

Before you buy any ASP engine, you may want to consider the availability of parts here in the USA. Horizon Hobby used to carry them, but have dropped that line and as far as being interchangable with Magnum parts is not necessarily true. Maybe some or most of the parts are interchangable, I don't know, but I ordered a Magnum .80 FS backplate gasket for my ASP .80 FS and it was too large, so that kinda shot that passed around theory that they are the same engines.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:49 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: boxbeam

Before you buy any ASP engine, you may want to consider the availability of parts here in the USA. Horizon Hobby used to carry them, but have dropped that line and as far as being interchangable with Magnum parts is not necessarily true. Maybe some or most of the parts are interchangable, I don't know, but I ordered a Magnum .80 FS backplate gasket for my ASP .80 FS and it was too large, so that kinda shot that passed around theory that they are the same engines.

----------------

I wonder what that was about? Maybe it was for a two-stroke? I can't see why you would need a backplate gasket on a four-stroke anyway. The crankcase isn't pressurized on a normally aspirated model four-stroke engine.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-14-2007, 03:02 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Chinese four strokes machined parts are bead blasted after machining. This is the fine sand cast looking surface you see. It covers up poor machining nicely, or so I've been told. This causes the mating surfaces to leak though, compared to a machined on machined surface. The Magnums I have use gaskets at the backplate and cam covers, to keep them looking clean if anything.

There isn't a huge amount of pressure inside a four stoke, and even without pressure oil would seep past these mating surfaces. OS doesn't use gaskets, but the fit and finish of mating surfaces is superb.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:34 PM
sigrun

I'm not an O.S. fanboi, but if you're thinking of a the Magnum FS-61AR, do yourself a huge favour and buy an OS FS-52S instead. That's what I'd do if I needed a 4 stroke in that power class and was considering the FS-61AR. Why?

That way you'll get the same or even a little more power as that delievered by the FS-61AR, but included is superior reliability notably in a markedly smoother more consistent transition as well as a lower achievable stable idle. The discontinued Sanye/ASP/MAgnum .61 is an unimpressive performer about on a power par with a 25LA, although that's probably being a bit harsh on the LA. [8D] I like value too, but not at any price.

Based upon prolonged experience with and observation of the FS-61AR's 'performance' to conclude that the O.S. FS-52S is simply a smarter alternative...even if its lesser capacity and higher pricing appears poorer value. No contest, in this case, the O.S. alternative is worth the 20 to 30% extra. The greater displacement of the 61AR seeming an obvious power advantage is an illusion which doesn't present in actuality. If you only want to hear its positives, "it runs" is about the most complimentary thiing I can say about Magnum's FS-61AR. No surprise they've dumped it from their line-up. There ya' go. You can file the naughty bits you don't want to hear in the WPB.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:01 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have two of the 61 four strokes. One Magnum and one ASP. I also have three OS 52's. I cannot see that one is any more troublesome than the other. The ASP/Magnum 61 four strokes have about 300 rpm on the OS 52's that I have. The Magnum I've used for almost three years on a Slow Poke. Before that I had an OS on the plane. I like one as well as the other.

The ASP/Magnum 61 and 52 four strokes look exactly alike on the outside except for the number.

I've also have/had several other ASP four stroke engines including a 65, 91, & 120. They all run just fine.

A friend had a Magnum 30 and it looked like it would be better than the OS or Saito 30's. While the Magnum didn't give any trouble, the Saito 30's he and I have make a lot more power.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:39 PM
w8ye

My ASP 65 weighed the same and ran right with my OS 70 Surpass II. They will interchange perfectly between a ASP/Magnum 65/70 and the OS 70 Surpass I. The Surpass II has both needle valves on the same side.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:09 AM
Dauntae

easy sigrun This post was not just to have only the good feedback, So I will take what you said into consideration. I just did not want someone who never owned one that just happened to have a different Magnum/ASP with a past bad expierience I know a few who had say a 46 2-stroke so&so brand that was bad so all engines by that brand must be bad, so they bash all there engines. I have a Mag. 91 and it runs as good as my saito and the OS I had. I just cant stand brand bashing. A Chevy chevett sucked but it doesn,t mean there corvett is a POS BUT there both Chevy. Get my piont. and thank you for your responce sigrun, gives my things to consider.

Dauntae
Old 02-15-2007, 08:06 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

The Chinese four strokes machined parts are bead blasted after machining. This is the fine sand cast looking surface you see. It covers up poor machining nicely, or so I've been told. This causes the mating surfaces to leak though, compared to a machined on machined surface. The Magnums I have use gaskets at the backplate and cam covers, to keep them looking clean if anything.

There isn't a huge amount of pressure inside a four stoke, and even without pressure oil would seep past these mating surfaces. OS doesn't use gaskets, but the fit and finish of mating surfaces is superb.

--------------

I cut my glow engine teeth on open stack .049 engines that came with RTF models in the late Fifties. To me, glow engines are messy. Period. Anyone expecting any glow engine to be pristinely clean has a warped sense of modeldom, in my opinion. If I ever get that anal retentive, someone please shoot me. I truly do not mean to offend anyone - it is just that I can't believe how some people fret over a little oil.

My point was that it doesn't matter if it leaks around the backplate or not. It is a glow engine. It is messy. It is to be expected. It is part of their magical appeal. And, whether it leaks or not, it will not have any affect on how the engine runs, which is all that matters - to me.

If you want a clean, non messy hobby, look elsewhere. We are talking about glow engines that utilize total loss oiling systems. Who would expect such a thing to be mess free? <G>

Ed Cregger

Old 02-15-2007, 08:40 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

I understand, but that is the reason they use gaskets. Imagine you just spent a lot of money on an engine and there is gray/black (from breakin) oil seeping out the seems. To a do it yourself modeler this wouldn't be reason for alarm, but to a guy who got into the hobby and has a desk job and has never changed the oil in his own car and replaces his car before leaks ever develop, this might be alarming. It wouldn't be such a good thing for the engine either if most of the oil drained from the crankcase after every weekend of flying.

I do expect to some extent, the only oil or fuel to leak out of a fourstroke is the intake or exhaust. OS does recommend to seal the exhust threads, and this can only be to reduce the mess.

I've flown electric for most of my modeling career though, so I might be spoiled when it comes to clean airplanes.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:00 AM
IronCross

I seal the exaust threads with Teflon plumbers tape to prevent them from viberatiing loose and destroying the threads.... Nothing to do with "preventing oil leaks "......
Old 02-15-2007, 02:30 PM
asmund

Are you sure there`s not supposed to be gaskets in your OS?? YS engines are also considered Quality engines but they use gaskets too nevertheless

I just came back from my hobby room and my 91 fx use gasket to seal the backplate too.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:30 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: asmund

Are you sure there`s not supposed to be gaskets in your OS?? YS engines are also considered Quality engines but they use gaskets too nevertheless

I just came back from my hobby room and my 91 fx use gasket to seal the backplate too.

------------

I was referring to the four-stroke engine that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Two-strokes and YS four-strokes need gaskets. But you know that. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 02-15-2007, 05:51 PM
w8ye

I recently had a OS 48 and a 52 four stroke apart and there's no gasket behind the back plate or intake manifold
Old 02-15-2007, 09:23 PM
carrellh

My brother has a Magnum 61 four stroke, which is supposed to be pretty similar to the ASP.

The Magnum is very dependable and turns a 12x6 prop over 10,000 rpm; I do not know the exact number. I doubt that sigrun’s 25 LA will match that, but I have been wrong in the past.

I agree with Ed that it would seem to make more sense to keep the 61 and drop the 52 since size and weight are so similar. I think the reason may be related to the marketing of ARFs and kits. Many models recommend the .52 four stroke. If people do not know the 61 fits the same footprint, they bypass the 61 and buy the OS52.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:59 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

OS fourstrokes drool oil from the rocker cover. Sure its machined but it is not lapped smooth.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:21 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: IronCross

I seal the exaust threads with Teflon plumbers tape to prevent them from viberatiing loose and destroying the threads.... Nothing to do with "preventing oil leaks "......

-------------

I wasn't referring to you, or anyone in particular. I seal exhaust pipes with Teflon too. Not to prevent leaks so much as to keep the header pipe in the head a bit longer.

If one can seal an oil leak, then by all means, be my guest. But I have seen folks that get absolutely neurotic about it, to the point that it really has a negative effect on the enjoyment of their hobby, which is what I really care about.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-08-2014, 08:16 AM
mivan

Default hi

And can i use with a kadet wich uses an os 46ax?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:33 AM
MFIGHT43

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know if mounting inverted poses issues? I have a 61 on my little cub and it seems to swamp the plug every time when starting the first time. Would an onboard glow igniter help? Also, what type glow plug do you recommend?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	390
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2165375  
Old 06-03-2016, 07:36 AM
706jim

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The onboard ignitor will help with idle, but not with the initial start. OS "F" plug works well in any four stroke.

A Cub looks great with the engine mounted sideways and your flooding problem would go away with the engine mounted this way, although you may not want to change your setup.