Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

What about the ROBART fuel pump?

Old 02-22-2003, 05:33 AM
FW190D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about the ROBART fuel pump?

With all the discussion contained in this thread regarding the Perry pumps, as well as the Cline regulator, I was surprised to hear no mention of the ROBART fuel pump. I purchased a ROBART No. 209 Super Pumper Mk IV at a sale for about $5.00. It is still in its original box, new and unused and I thought I would "someday" find a use for it. The instructions say it is recommended for a 60-size gasoline engine. I was wondering whether this pump could be used on my Saito 91 4-stroke. Has anyone out there used one of these pumps before? Are they similar to the Perry in operation and reliability? Should I be able to run this pump equally well on glow fuel?

Thx,
Ken
Old 01-30-2006, 02:55 AM
Philip Taft

Default RE: What about the ROBART fuel pump?

I think that type of pump was not intended for gasoline operation. I may be wrong but I'd hate to see you destroy it.. I've used them on a couple of aircraft before but it requires a bypass line at the venturi to re-direct excess back to the tank....
I'd like to get my hands on a Robart Super Pumper if you know anyone who has a spare they would like to sell..
Cheers Phil
Old 01-30-2006, 03:08 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

See it here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...tm.htm#3823160

Bill.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:26 AM
Philip Taft

Hi again, Excerpt from a Peter Chinn assesmant on various pumps follows:- The Robart pump is assembled as a sealed unit and should not be dismantled. Provided that a fuel filter is installed between the tank and pump, cleaning should not be necessary. As with an engine, however, fuel left in the pump after use will , in time, evaporate, leaving the oil content to coagulate and, possibly, gum the valves. This can be prevented by removing the pump (if one is not intending to use it for a
few weeks) and blowing out the fuel remaining in it. Don't use a petroleum solvent and don't poke anything through any of the three openings in the unit: damage to the valve or diaphragm will result. One other thing to watch is fuel composition: home-brewers who persist in adding petrol to their fuel will find that this (and
certain other additives) will ruin the pump diaphragm.
Hope it helps any would be's
Phil