Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Enya 53 4cycle TN engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:12 AM
riadh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Enya 53 4cycle TN engine problem

To break-in my engine I had the engine run with first tank of fuel on a very rich setting followed by a couple of tanks of alternate runs of hi near max rpm followed by rich throttle setting rpm .During the break -in runs I believe I noticed a little fuel leak from the joint of carburetor to the inlet manifold (going to the cylinder head )and another little leak as if from the joint of the cylinder head with the crank case.The cylinder head to the case is bolted quite tight as i tried to re-tighten their screws.the o ring on the carburetor/manifold is visibly properly seated and not deformed .I might as well add that the engine was running sweet during the process, peaking to over 10k rpm and steady and idling around 2300 rpm and steady with a 12x6 prop; and that is only after 3 tanks.Has anybody experienced a similar case ?Any clues or suggestions on what to do with the leaks ?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Enya 53 4cycle TN engine problem

If it was hot and humid it could be condensation forming and looking like a leak.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:31 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I like the "better safe than sorry" approach to breaking in engines that I know have high quality, hard metals in their components. I would have been in no hurry to approach peak rpm with an Enya engine that was ring equipped. Running slobbery rich for five or so tanks of fuel, on the bench, would have been my break-in strategy. Enya and Webra ringed engines are traditionally made of harder metals than usual. That is why they last longer, or so the mythology goes.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-18-2007, 07:17 PM
riadh

The engine seemed air tight when i tried to blow air into it with the throttle full open and all other outlets closed.Well this is the only alternative i have now for checking the engine as it is very cold and wet outside-nz winter-.I hope i dont have to go thru the syndrum of "who's done what wrong" with ken Enya.Any way he hasnt replyed to my e mail yet.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:39 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: riadh

To break-in my engine I had the engine run with first tank of fuel on a very rich setting followed by a couple of tanks of alternate runs of hi near max rpm followed by rich throttle setting rpm .During the break -in runs I believe I noticed a little fuel leak from the joint of carburetor to the inlet manifold (going to the cylinder head )and another little leak as if from the joint of the cylinder head with the crank case.The cylinder head to the case is bolted quite tight as i tried to re-tighten their screws.the o ring on the carburetor/manifold is visibly properly seated and not deformed .I might as well add that the engine was running sweet during the process, peaking to over 10k rpm and steady and idling around 2300 rpm and steady with a 12x6 prop; and that is only after 3 tanks.Has anybody experienced a similar case ?Any clues or suggestions on what to do with the leaks ?

---------------

The area where you are seeing moisture gets very cold from the alcohol/air mixture on any glow four-stroke engine. You are probably seeing condensation of water from the atmosphere. Not to worry.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-19-2007, 01:13 AM
riadh

Thanks Ed for your inputs .The reply from the company to my enquiery on what might be the cause and cure for the observed fuel leak to is implying that there is a silicon liner to the manifold pipe which might be cracked?.hmm .will check and see