Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Are OS 4S engines that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
seagull extra
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are OS 4S engines that bad?

I am a big fan of 4 stroke airplane engines. I started flyng with 2 stroke engines and had good luck with them but when I started flying more advanced models ie. extra300 90 size I decided to try a 4stroke a Magnum 91 and I could not believe how much nicer the plane flew with 4stroke power. I must admit that I buy these engines just to have them as well as I see them as mechanical works of art. I now own many 4strokes OS YS Saito and my original Magnum. I will say that all of these are nice running engines when used in the right application. When holding these engines in your hands it is quite easy to see which engines are manufactured to the highest standards. The fit and finish of the YS engines is clearly the best with the OS a close second the Saito is a notch down from the OS and the Magnum's a couple of notch's down from the Saito. I feel very fortunate that we have so many great choices.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:07 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It was nice of you to share your experience with us
Old 03-03-2009, 03:04 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must have seen this question asked on another site of forums, because there were a lot of replies to your comments that I do not see here.

I own just about all of the brands of model glow four-stroke engines, but not quite. No Thunder Tigers as yet. I like all of them and I can find an application for each and every one of them. None are perfect and without occasional problems, including YS.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-03-2009, 05:54 AM
mike109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day Four Stroke Lovers. Are OS four strokes that bad? I'd have to say "No." My first four stroke was a 26 Surpass which I bought back about 1990. I sold it recently with another I had bought along the way to a friend who wants to build a four engine bomber. It is still running well after all that time including 6 months it spent in the open after flying away and getting lost. My second was a 48 Surpass which flew an early ARF trainer really well and my third a 91 Suprass I which is still going strong after some 18 years later.

These days I have the following - ASP x 2, OS x 4 Saito x 12 and Enya x 1. Here in Oz, Enya are hard to find and expensive and so are not very common. They do, however, appear to be fine engines, ASP/Magnum (Sanye) engines are cheap and work well though I have noticed large performance differences between similar engines, OS are readily available and extremely well supported but the recent economic gyrations have pushed their prices up. They are easy engines to use, reasonably powerful and last a long time. I drifted away from them because I found that Saitos were even easier to live with and I like the "golden era" look of the Saitos. My most recent engine is a Saito 90TS which will end up in a Goldberg Cub which is about half built (one wing, fuse, tail feathers). I bought it to try something different that I could put in a mid size model I can fly often. I have larger engines but they rarely get an outing because the planes they are in are large and need a lot of support and tranport. Had OS made a small to mid size twin I would have considered it but only Saito makes engines in this size range. I do have a 160 Gemini.