Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Wrecked 1.50 Saito

Old 07-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked 1.50 Saito

Hello All!

I wrecked my FuntanaX100 with a Saito 1.50 a week ago.. The Saito didn't do so well. Needle valve and intake manifold were broken and the exhaust was crushed. The spinner was intacted and the case and block seem fine...

So far my problem is the back of the crank pin is now rubbing the backplate. And it appears to be only by a couple thousandths... If I loosen the backplate bolts the rubbing stops. Now I have pulled the propdrive and installed a new one and that seems to have helped a little bit, my question is, Is there a way for me to insure that the bearings are seated properly??? Or is there anything else I should check? The rest of the engine appears to be in good order I'm just waiting on a new needle valve before I can attempt to start the engine but I really want to get this rubbing issue cleared up before I try to restart it....

Thanks in advanced!

Hibrass
Old 07-28-2007, 06:50 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Wrecked 1.50 Saito

You may have not gotten he prop drive seated in the correct place?

Remove the prop drive and get your crank seated correctly in the crankcase.

When you reinstall the prop drive, get the little cone all the way onto the crank and up against the front bearing before you seat the prop drive washer in place with the prop/nut assembly.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Hibrass

W8ye,

How can I be sure that the Crank is seated correctly? Should I heat the engine press it in a vise? I have no problem pulling the propdrive and taper and resetting them I'm just not sure that I have the crank bearings setted correctly.

Thanks,

Hibrass
Old 07-28-2007, 07:13 PM
w8ye

If the crank was not all the way forward and you didn't remove the tapered cone before you put the new drive washer on, the prop nut may have not pulled the crank forward from it's encounter with the backplate because the little cone was already locked onto the crank?

The crank is seated when the backplate no longer rubs against the crank pin.

Take the little cone off when you remove the drive washer and reinstall it? Then reinstall the drive washer and tighten the daylights out of the prop nut. It should pull the crank back into position?
Old 07-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Hibrass

Thanks W8ye!

I will redo the installation from scratch and see if I get it right this time..

More later,

Hibrass
Old 07-28-2007, 07:37 PM
w8ye

There should be only two things keeping the crank from being all the way forward.

The crank is not all the way into the rear bearing?

The rear bearing is not seated fully into the crankcase?

It would be unlikely that the front bearing is farther back than normal because it is usually seated against a shoulder in the crankcase?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 PM
WMB

Hibrass, After I replaced the bearings in my Saito 45, I had the same problem as you are having. The bearings were fully seated, it was driving me nuts. I finally tapped the crank with a punch and small hammer as a last resort. That took care of it. The crank was not fully seated in the bearings. May not be a good idea if you are using ceramic bearings.
Good luck, MikeB
Old 07-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Hibrass

W8ye and WMB!!

Success!!!!

I reset the prop drive added some heat and a driftpin/Hammer... Viola what ever was holding up the rear bearing popped and she is just like new!!!

Thanks again!

Hibrass