Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS Camshaft plating peeling

Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 AM
The Raven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS Camshaft plating peeling

Assuming this second hand engine was a relative bargain you may as well just clean it up and fly it. Consider it a real life test of how long the engine will run. I bet you'll surprise all the local engine experts at the field when it goes well beyond their estimated time to failure.

I had a 46AX that finally ate it's bearings, destroying the piston (but not the liner) in the process. I've since had a GMS47 in the same plane for a much longer period.

Everyone at the field told me I should stick with OS engines as the GMS were rubbish. Well, the GMS outlasted the OS by a clear 12 months before it too had bearing problems (at least this one didn't do any damage). The GMS made more power but, admittedly, didn't do as well as the OS with extended idling and very low throttle behaviour.

Still, and this is not an attack on OS, the GMS engine was more powerful, longer lasting, and cheaper than the sacred cow OS engine that ate it's bearings in a disastorous way. Some engines are better than others and, it's not always a case of the brand name on the casing or how superfine the finish is.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:49 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every once in a while I get lucky with a less expensive engine too. It is my theory that stumbling across one or two of these engines is addictive. How else can you explain my passion for finding black sheep engines that run great and then feeling more pride flying them than the high priced engines that I own?

Growing up using Fox engines, I acquired the habit early on of sending the engines back when I knew a fit wasn't right, or something was out of kilter. Dealing with Duke on the phone was really giving me a super education that I learned to enjoy. I actually looked forward to talking with the folks at Fox. I must say, before I forget it, that Duke and his crew always saved the day. He never left me holding an engine that wouldn't run properly. Most times there was no charge at all. Even when out of the warranty period.

I carried forth that habit with other engine brands. At the first sign of a problem that I am sure is due to less than perfection during manufacture, I box up the engine and shoot it back to the distributor, regardless of the country of manufacture. With some of them, it is good to have already spoken to them on the phone about the problem, then include a note saying that you talked to so and so about the problem on a given date.

While it can be tempting to be nasty when you really needed that engine for a given date, realize that conveying your emotions to the folks on the phone or the ones reading the note will only sour their stomach at the most. After they have been on that job for a while, I suspect that they automatically brand folks that try to load them down with guilt as being less than knowledgable modelers. This has the effect of making them not look as hard for problems since they have become convinced that the modeler doesn't know how to run an engine properly, or what to expect during break-in.

If you want the best service in such a situation, keep your communications short and to the point. Emotional outbursts work against you. Not for you.

I still grin from ear to ear when I remember flying my Utter Chaos with "that garbage Chinese engine", the ASP.61 ABC. That rascal ripped and snorted like a Rossi.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-18-2008, 07:16 AM
The Raven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you mention ASP, I have an old ASP .40 with a tuned pipe. I bought it cheap off ebay and have had a fair share of flights on it. As of this weekend it gave signs of needing new bearings. Yet to pull it apart to check the bearings but last I looked it was perfect.

I'm yet to get it really humming but that will now occur after I buy some bearings for my other engines. Yes, I kill bearings because I fly engines to death. 2-3 hours of air time every Sunday (and often on Saturdays) will do that to ANY engine.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:12 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you, Raven.

Ball bearings are consumables, just like fuel, props and glow plugs. It's just part of the price for having so much fun. It's nothing to be upset about. And this applies to any ball bearing engine, regardless of brand.

Ed Cregger