How should the needles be set?

Thanks,
hal
Old 03-19-2003, 05:07 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Super Tiger 3000

Use a low nitro (5%) low oil content. There are special ST fuels that work fine. You may get people who have used different set ups (including me) but this is what they recommend.

For props, it depends on what type of plane and flying. On my 80" Cap 20L, I had an 18x10 (too high in pitch for me) and 18x8 (better). Both worked fine with the engine.

Needles settings, I can't remember, although I did have to put a pump on it to get it to run right with no mid range transition problems. Remember, though, with a pump, you may have to lean out the low end to compensate for the increased fuel pressure.

You can tell if you need a pump by trying to adjust your high end screw. If it is hyposensitive (not very effective) you need a pump.

Do a search on ST3000, I seem to remember reading something from AM Cross about adjusting the carb. You can pivot the spray bar to help with midrange, but many people have success with the pump or put an OS 7D carb on it.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 03-19-2003, 05:16 PM
CaptHal
My Feedback: (10)

Default Thanks

Thanks Mike,

It has what appears to be an much larger carb than original... maybe an ASP?? Not sure.

It is on a Yellow Aircraft Spitfire, retracts, flaps, w9yds.

It was purchased built, a very very nice job too, pics soon.

Thanks for the help. I have an 18x8 prop, but no spinner yet, it's enroute.

hal

ps also a choice put my ZDZ40 in it.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:12 PM
frank 560
My Feedback: (6)

WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE FOR ONE OF YOU GENTLEMEN TO CHECK ONE OF YOUR ST3000 AND TELL ME WHAT THE LOW SPEED NEEDLE IS SET AT? EVERYTHING I`VE CHECKED TELLS ME IT IS FACTORY SET AND MINE IS SCREWED UP FROM LISTENING TO TOO MUCH ADVISE AT THE FIELD SO I WANT TO START OVER WITH THE ORIGINAL SETTING. THANKS
Old 03-19-2003, 08:09 PM
MHawker

I'll have to check mine tonight. I'll also try to find the paperwork I printed on how to tune them.

In the mean time, you can tune your ST's low end like this:

With the engine idling, pinch the fuel line going to the carb and your engine should speed up a bit and then die. If it speeds up too much, you are too rich. If it just dies, you are too lean. Remember to clean out the motor each time you adjust it.

Mike
Old 03-19-2003, 11:45 PM
w8ye

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want a starting place before you run the engine. remove the carb and look up in side of it. The low needle should be halfway in the cat eye.

Good luck

Jim
Old 03-20-2003, 04:48 PM
DCFLYYER
My Feedback: (5)

Default Best Fuel

Here's what I use in California 50/50 of !5% powermaster and methanol that will give you around 7% nitro/ oil mix. This is close to Supertiger requirements for fuel. And is easier than trying to find ST FUEL. Hobby People are haveing a sale 3/21 to3/23 powermaster 15% is $9.99 a gal they also have methanol I think is $9.99 also. I always stock up when they have a sale. You should start with the fuel you'll be using before making adjustments

regards
Dennis
Old 03-20-2003, 07:25 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basic carburetor setting for all SuperTigre engines can be found on the SuperTigre FAQ page:

http://www.supertigre.com/faq/product-faq.html

If you go to the SuperTigre home page, you'll find the link that will direct you to the manuals, which you can download:

http://www.supertigre.com
Old 03-20-2003, 09:54 PM
frank 560
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks to you all for the help on the idle setting.
You have been very helpful and I even learned a few tricks. I have checked high speed setting by pinching fuel line but never gave it a thought on idle setting.