Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Thunder Tiger Glow Engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 AM
mouthpiec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger Glow Engines

Hi all,

I suggest that who have a Thunder Tiger Pro-46 Engine post his comments and tips here to share some knowledge!

cya all folks

[link=http://www.sandrozahra.com/rc]My RC Website[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23906.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	798097  
Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 AM
mouthpiec

Default RE: Thunder Tiger Pro-46 Engine Forum

Yesterday I opened up my engine and I noticed that apart from the slot between the carb and the front bearing, I have also a small hole, that seems to provide that extra lubrication. The position of the hole is shown in the image attached.

Is there someone that has the same thing?

Name:	Ca80952.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	798098  
Old 11-06-2007, 09:02 PM
XJet
Banned

The best performance tip for TT46Pro owners is to go out and buy a Tower or GMS47 muffler. If you run props that let your engine rev over 14,000 RPMs it'll give you a *lot* of extra power for under $20 -- kind of like adding 10% nitro to all your fuel for a one-time payment :-)
Old 11-06-2007, 09:08 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The hole does in fact provide oil to the front bearing as well as help provide a seal for the area
Old 11-06-2007, 10:40 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I have two of these engines that I run almost everytime I go out. I think it has MORE power than the 46 ax. No maintenence whatsoever!!!!!!! Do all of the TT motors run like this one and so reliable? Each new engine I buy is a TT. Next one is going to be the 91 for my ultimate.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:41 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I have two of these engines that I run almost everytime I go out. I think it has MORE power than the 46 ax. No maintenence whatsoever!!!!!!! Do all of the TT motors run like this one and so reliable? Each new engine I buy is a TT. Next one is going to be the 91 for my ultimate.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:05 AM
the pope

Ya can say that again. [:-] Cheers the pope
Old 11-07-2007, 05:53 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mouthpiec

Yesterday I opened up my engine and I noticed that apart from the slot between the carb and the front bearing, I have also a small hole, that seems to provide that extra lubrication. The position of the hole is shown in the image attached.

Is there someone that has the same thing?
Took one of mine apart last night. It does indeed have the same hole. Nothing to worry about. It is for extra lubrication as W8YE has stated.
John
EDIT-> I've had 5 of these. Still have four. Great engines.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 AM
mouthpiec

so apart from the slot you have also a hole?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:12 AM
JNorton

I'll photograph it if you want. Like I said nothing to worry about. They are gems of a motor. Replacement costs are out of line though, too high compared to others.
John
Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 AM
mouthpiec

A photo will be appreciated
Old 11-07-2007, 10:03 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

They all have that hole...(or let me say that all the TT .46 Pro engines I've had apart...6 or 7 of them, from early versions to current )
Old 11-07-2007, 10:44 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I am going to eventually phaze out all of my OS motors and they will be replaced with TT. Of course I will run the OS motors untill they quit which will be a long time. Don't get me wrong, I like OS motors but I have had better luck with TT. Basically any new motor I purchase will be a TT. I don't think that we should be doing this thread because if a rep from TT reads it the cost may go out of sight - even higher than the OS because the quality is better!!!! I'm sure that my motors have that same hole but I am not going to take them apart to see!!
The only issue that I've had with these motors is do not flood them. They are so tight that if you flood them you cannot get your starter to turn them over. I've only done that a couple of times and I had to take the plug out and turn it over with the needle closed to drain it. So, I fuel them up and start them without any prime whatsoever.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:05 AM
FoamyVictim

I have the 46 Pro as well. Been a great motor so far, and works very well on a Macs Tuned Muffler.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:49 AM
proptop

Great engine...
I have 3 of them...and several buddies have bought them because they've seen how well mine run.
Only maintainance over the last 5-6 years has been bearings...(that's how I know about the hole )
Old 11-07-2007, 07:59 PM
JNorton

ORIGINAL: JNorton

I'll photograph it if you want. Like I said nothing to worry about. They are gems of a motor. Replacement costs are out of line though, too high compared to others.
John
Well I guess my camera has developed legs! Now I have to find out who in the family has it! Mouthpiec it looks like you'll have to be satisfied with Proptops post.
John
Old 11-07-2007, 08:59 PM
show871

I also have a ttpro, and I was just wondering about performance. On sun, my motor really unwound and was flat out rippin. Now I take it out today, maybe 15 degrees cooler, and it just felt flat and really underpowered compared to sun. I did richen it a few clicks too. Call me crazy, but it seemed quieter too....it just did not have the rip!

The 1 thing i did change was the glow plug....put a different used one in

Old 11-07-2007, 09:16 PM
XJet
Banned

All engines tend to run better on some days than on others (IMHO). Whether it's the phase of the moon, humidity, temperature or whatever, there's always a good reason.

As far as plugs go for the TT46Pro, the OS#8 is the best I've tried. Other plugs work but often don't give the same performance or crisp transition that the OS#8 does.

For example, I tried a Fox Miracle plug and found that I couldn't get the engine tuned well. It sounded quite rich and would burble in the mid-range but any attempt to lean out the mixture would result in it just dying. Took out the Miracle Plug, put a new OS#8 back in and it was a whole different engine.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought the one in this image in 2002. This is the fourth airframe it has flown. Once crashed HARD. Hard enough to dent the sleeve with the piston and a new piston and sleeve were installed (under warranty even though I admitted it was all my fault!). A second crash bad enough to shear the needle valve housing. I swapped the carb out for a Perry ( a replacement TT carb was available but 80% the price of a new TT Pro-46) and it still gets more use than all the rest of my two strokes combined!

I love this engine.

PS - I've been running Super Tiger medium glow plugs and an 11x5 prop with S&W 10%N and I can run it slightly rich and still get 13,200 rpm as measured with my optical tach. That's as good as I get with a Super Tigre G-51 and the same prop and fuel and at an ounce less weight.

Name:	Om32815.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	799160  
Old 11-07-2007, 10:07 PM
rcjon

When I started in R/C, an old salt recommended the Pro46. He told me, "You can spend a lot more, and get a lot less."

I've been through several.

But the muffler sucks.

I like to put the Slim Line Pitts style muffler on them.

Never heard much good about other TT engines, but the Pro46 belongs in the R/C Hall of Fame.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:07 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: rcjon
Never heard much good about other TT engines, but the Pro46 belongs in the R/C Hall of Fame.
Well I've got a few other TT engines.

The TT42GP is a brilliant little motor and great value. It's a plain bearing motor that absolutely *eats* an LA40 for power. We've got one in our club trainer and it's been piled into the ground more times than I can remember. Despite this punishment it continues to start immediately, provide absolute reliability and heaps of power. The only *bad* thing about the TT42GP is the needle-valve setup. The thread is very fine and strips quite easily. I replaced mine with a remote needle assembly and that has done the job very well.

The TT61GP is another brilliant plain bearing motor. It has the power of many 90s with mine (on a pipe) turning a 11x7 prop at around 14,000 RPMs on the ground using 5% nitro fuel. After at least 10 gallons of fuel it's still got so much pinch that my starter won't turn it over on a cold day. It's currently in a 40-sized trainer that's been clocked on radar at over 100mph straight and level.

I put an SK90 in the same plane with a 13x8 prop and it flew *slower*.

For a price that's less than what you'd pay for many BB 46-sized engines, the TT61GP is a real bargain.

The only downside (for some) is that (being a plain-bearing engine) you've got to use a fuel with a good dose of castor oil in it (messy).

The TT91FS is a pretty good-value engine with more power than the Magnum/ASP 91. It can be a bit vicious in its handling though and (like many 4-strokes) will throw a prop if you get it too lean. Mine's in a 60-sized P51 Mustang and it is every bit as fast as the same airframe powered by a SuperTigre 90, but it sounds real sweet. I took the muffler off mine and used a Perry oscillating pump but it's still very, very quiet.

So TT do make some other pretty good engines, but I agree that the TT46Pro is the real jewel in their crown.

It's a shame that the TT90Pro isn't cheaper and more readily available or I'd try one but they seem quite rare and I've read very little about them.

I was also tempted to get a TT120 but with small gas engines coming down so much in price I don't know that I'd bother spending about the same amount on a glow-motor these days.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:55 PM
nitrofevr

i have had my tt 46 pro for about 8 years. It was in a air boat for all of its life untill last week. it drank a lot of water. almost as much as fuel. i slaped it on my morris gee whizz bee last week, put a 12x4 prop with 30% nitro. it will hover very nicely and has plenty of pull out plus im @ 6000 feet. stilll having a little bit of tank foaming up but im working on than
Old 11-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: rcjon

But the muffler sucks.
I love the TT pro 46 and tower muffler combo.

I am gradually phasing out my 2 strokes in favor of 4 strokes. But there are 2 2 strokes that I will always have in my collection, a TT pro 46 and a ST 90. I just really like both engines and they are a great value.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What "Tower" muffler are you guys using? A replacement muffler for the Tower 46?

And the next question - why is it any different? Larger opening? Bigger can?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:23 PM
proptop

It's the regular muffler that comes with the Tower .46 and I believe the GMS .47 as well as the Aqua Craft .46 air boat engine.
It works great on the TT .46, I would highly recommend it to anyone...and it fits the O.S. .46 FX and AX and Magnum .52 and a couple of others that I can't think of right off hand.
And it's only 14-15 bucks.

It's an open can (no baffle ) so it's a bit louder, but muffler pressure doesn't seem to suffer.
It just "works" ya know?!

It doesn't actually "boost" power like an Ultra Thrust/Jettstream does... it just doesn't cause anywhere near the r.p.m. loss as the stock muffler does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.