Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum same as OS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 01:01 AM
rightflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum same as OS?

Some of my club members insist Magnum are made by the same company as OS. They claim the parts are identical. Personally I find it hard to believe.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:37 AM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Ask them what they've been smoking, then tell them they better stop before it completely rots what's left of their brains. There is no comparison, if any parts fit, it's because Magnum makes a very poor copy of an OS.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:40 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Must be one big company, One has Made in Japan on it and the other has made in China, Magnum is a good engine BUT it aint no OS so if they insist ask them why magnum has Made in china on the case and is a copy of OS OS has made in Japan on it.

Dauntae
Old 04-07-2003, 03:35 AM
Toucan
My Feedback: (1)

Default Magnum is not a copy of OS

Hi,
Magnum is not a copy of OS . I have opened both engines the tappet are not the same the carb is not the same . Quality of material used by OS is far far superior then Magnum. Their is a lot of difference.

What they have tried to copy is Metric sizes of the Crank shaft and Dimensions.

Thanks

Sharad
Old 04-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As an owner of both OS and Magnum 4-strokes, I find that the Magnum comes very close if not equal to the OS in performance and is probably a little easier to set up for good idle and transition. The Magnum's are an excellent buy and well worth the money.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:50 PM
rhomco
My Feedback: (2)

Default OS/Magnum/Thunder Tiger

I worked several years in Taiwan and toured the Thunder Tiger factory as a guest. Here is the scoop.... Thunder Tiger started the Magnum line of engines several years ago in Taiwan but later moved the operation to mainland China to save costs. The Magnums are mostly made in China now and are copies of the old OS Engines. Many substitutions and shortcuts are used to keep the price down. The thunder Tigers are still made in Taiwan on CNC machines and are superior to the old Magnums. As the China factories convert to CNC machines the consistancy will improve but I doubt the materials will. In any case, you get more engine for the $ with these imports but do not expect to get an OS for the price of a Chinese knock-off. The Magnums and Thunder Tigers will never be the quality of the OS but you will never be asked to pay the OS price either.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Perminator-RCU

The new XLS-magnums are copies of the OS FX. I hear they are pretty darn good!
Old 04-07-2003, 06:09 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gentlemen:

I have many Magnum and OS engines of various sizes.They are more similar than different.

My latest Magnum is a 46XLS, latest OS is a 46FX. The biggest difference in the two is the price. If it weren't for the names on the outside you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart.

I've never had a Magnum that did not give service equal to the OS from which it was copied.

I have absolutely no reservation whatever about recommending the Magnum line. And don't ask why I still buy an OS engine now and then - I surely don't know, maybe I just want to waste the price difference.

Bill.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Ernie Misner

The new Magnum .52 XLS surely is NOT cheap at $120. I would expect that it extremely high quality.

Ernie
Old 04-07-2003, 07:23 PM
William Robison

Ernie:

The new Magnum .52 XLS also is NOT an OS copy.

Bill.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:29 PM
SALMONBUG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my experience is that a if you perform a good breaking in on a magnum engine, you will have a reliable and easy to operate engine, similar to OS.

In my opinion there are only a very few amount of "bad engines", but some engines need more atention at the very begining of their live
Old 04-07-2003, 07:41 PM
raymcm

Magnum, SC and ASP are all the same engine but vary in price, unlike OS they do not come with flaky liners of the FX series and crap plain bearings like the LA series.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Ernie Misner

The Magnum 52 XLS and the new ASP 52 don't look the same as the photo at Just Engines. (they just show the ASP, but the Magnum is in the later magazines)

Do you suppose they have the exact same internals, porting, etc., however? And the ASP is a LOT cheaper I think!

Thanks!

Ernie ([email protected])
Old 10-21-2003, 06:27 PM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

Default RE: Magnum same as OS?

You have to know the background of Magnum and OS. I'm not going to go into the details, but they are comparable. More often than not, some pars do interchange and I love my Magnum engines. I've had a XLS .46 and now I'm going to get a XLS .52. They are wonderful engines and are easy to run.
Clint
Old 10-21-2003, 07:23 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

To the person asking about the ASP vs Magnum. I have both and other then label I see no difference. I have only the newer models. One of my best running motors is a ASP 61 four stroke which I use in my Eindecker. At Idol speeds it never lets me down and transition to full power is smooth. At the field every time I fly my Eindecker with slow scale movements people always comment on how great the motor purrs and are surprised when I tell them it's an ASP!
Old 10-21-2003, 10:24 PM
f2racer

OS has got them some of the best casting machines in on the planet in Japan. The engines they produce look near flawless on the outside. Fortunately for us, the outside appearance has nothing to do with performance (although they are purty to look at). Most of the newer Magnums are equals of what OS is putting out in terms of power and reliability... Haven't been in the hobby long enough for an engines longevity to influence any of my purchases, but if OS is making their engines outta better material, I'd guess they'd have an edge in that arena.

But to answer the original question, there is no connection between OS and Magnum other than the fact that Magnum looks to be going a fair job at "cloning" OS models a couple of years after they come out.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:30 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ernie,

The magnum .52 no longer costs $120, but $100, as you can see here: http://66.166.212.3/gallery/210760.asp .

With its extended, high volume muffler it will likely outrev the $160 OS.50SX, on any prop.

And it has true chromium ABC piston and sleeve; not ABN like non-ring OS (.46FX).
Old 10-22-2003, 06:42 AM
DualdudE

They aren't identical One of my fellow clubmembers owns some Magnum engines and they run very good I would never ever waste my money on an OS. Far to expensive for what you get. Not that i say they are bad engines, but i can get something with a better price/quality ratio My bucks (euro's) go to Irvine and MVVS
Old 10-22-2003, 11:44 AM
Windwalker
My Feedback: (2)

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Next time one of these guys say an OS is the same as Magnum pull out a world geography book and tell them Japan is the same country as China!

Windwalker
Old 10-22-2003, 11:45 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Here's what I've heard, and more than once. A guy that used to work for O.S., don't know who or what his positon was, went to work for Magnum. He supposedly helped Magnum try to clone the .46 FX. By the looks of the new Magnum .46XLS, they did a pretty good job of it. I have seen the new Magnum 46 run, and it seems that Magnum has made a very large improvement compared to their old .46XL, which was IMHO, a dog. The new engine, from what I've seen so far, seems to be very strong and dependable. It seems to be a bit finicky, as far as the low end is concerned. Now, I myself have never encountered any of the liner peeling like others have stated with their FX's, so I have to say that I was very pleased with mine while I had it (sold it to buy a Picco). To sum it up, from what I've seen of the new Magnum .46XLS, it seems to be in a very close race with the O.S.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:44 PM
MUISER

I purchased a new Magnum 46 from an EBay auction for aroung $76.00. Once I got the low speed idle adjusted it is on the best engines for the money I own. It starts ealily, has a lot of power, is good looking (for an engine) and is reliable. For the money, you can't go wrong. I fly it on a Kaos and it will pull it vertical as long as you point it there.
If you haven't tried one, what do you have to loose.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:34 PM
f2racer

ORIGINAL: yard-dart

Here's what I've heard, and more than once. A guy that used to work for O.S., don't know who or what his positon was, went to work for Magnum.
Close yard dart, you're thinking about Kaz Mihara the former design chief at OS (and possibly a former President as well?) who went to Thunder Tiger. I think he left OS before the FX line was introduced... Patent laws mean crap to the the red Chinese. I bet Magnum is just plain reverse engineering OS's models to save R&D costs. If you look at older models, parts are even interchangeable.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:36 PM
maxtenet

Magnum and OS are different engines by different manufacturers. The main similarity is that they are both vanilla, run of the mill, average engines, so who cares?

Max
Old 10-23-2003, 02:48 AM
ZM2000

Magnum and OS have very big difference:

PRICE, LABEL & ORIGIN

I own many of both and could not find any other difference. Many claim there is difference in metallurgy but who has done the laboratory test? Show me the superior metal content.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:04 AM
William Robison

ZM:

ORIGINAL: ZM2000
Many claim there is difference in metallurgy but who has done the laboratory test? Show me the superior metal content.
Lab tests not necessary.

OS cylinder liners peel.

Magnum cylinder liners do not peel.

QED.

Bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.