Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Aeromaster Too

Old 12-22-2007, 02:39 PM
LennyD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeromaster Too

I would like to put A Saito 91 (which is the same length as the 80) on my Aamco Aeromaster Too, problem is that it would stick past the nose about 1 1/2". Would you suggest moving the firewall back, building the nose forward or just stick with a conventional O.S. .60 2 stroke?
Old 12-22-2007, 03:20 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Aeromaster Too

Just extend the nose. You will need to move the battery rearward for balance.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:14 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had to extend the nose in 3 models with Saitos. I just build up around the firewall with 1/4 x 1/4 balsa. All have come out looking okay. These were all cowled models.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just re-modeled the nose of my Aeromaster for a OS 91 FS. I moved the firewall back 1". I didn't want to mount the engine any further forward than nessary as the OS 91 FS is heavier than a 2 cycle .60 (which I have an another Aeromaster). I didn't want to have to add tail weight to the plane. With the firewall moved back 1", I will still have to move the battery behind the wing. I didn't really move the firewall back. I just cut the top of the old firewall out and installed a new 1/8" plywood upper firewall only 1" back. I had to do all this because of the carb being on the back of the OS FS.
Ralph White, Neoga, IL
Old 12-23-2007, 01:01 AM
LennyD
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the information, I guess I have both options open to me. If anyone else had come across this situation please let me know how you handled it.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:20 PM
mred33

If you are still building the plane, I would move the fire wall back about 1" or so. Every plane I have built with a Saito, I moved the firewall back about an inch and it came out right on the money. The Saito is a little lighter then most 60s, but with the carb in the back you wind up having to move the firewall or adding to the front to make up for the difference in length. I just like moving the firewall because it is easy to do when you are building the model and the CG comes out almost right on. If you have already built the model, then add some to the front end to make up for the extra length and then adjust the CG to the right place with the battery or lead. I hate adding lead, so I just move the firewall while I am building it. Lots of luck with your Aeromaster. The Saito 91 should really pull it great.
Ed
Old 12-28-2007, 08:12 AM
crashinator

Hey Lenny D, I second the moving the fire wall, I think I mentioned I left mine alone and used a .61 2 stroke and now with all gear as far aft as I can go, it needs about 1 oz on the tail.