Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Starting Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 04:40 PM
brianairplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Engine

Question: Can a glow engine be started without a electric starter? If so, whats the best way to do it?
Old 04-25-2003, 04:47 PM
3D Joy

Default Starting Engine

Yes, you can use a chicken stick or a good glove. Personally, I use another method. I choke the engine a little too much for normal starting and I turn the spinner clockwise to make the engine kick and it starts right away. To avoid my fingers getting into the prop, I take care to only touch the spinner while doing my fast flip just before compression.

I know it is not that well explained, I may elaborate with questions. I have started even 40 size engines with this method but it works better on larger engines. Saitos love this method since they have higher compression ratio and tend to kick a lot.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:58 PM
2rolls
My Feedback: (16)

Default Starting Engine

With throttle set to full, put your finger over the carb hole, and pull prop through 'till fuel is entering the carb.
Reduce the throttle to a few clicks above idle.
Hook your glo-igniter to the plug.
Have a helper restrain the plane.
Flip the prop counter-clockwise, using a "chicken stick" (I use a 6" piece of rubber garden hose)
Engine may "hit" and start running backwards.
Stop the engine, open the throttle more, and try again.
*Some engines like to be started by "bouncing" the prop against compression clockwise.
What happened to your instructions?...croz
Old 04-25-2003, 05:26 PM
JimTrainor

Default Starting Engine

I've had great success recently starting a 46fx with the "spinner back flip". I find it the easiest method.

Get started with a chicken stick. The key is to get it primed correctly. If you ever overprime it, you'll notice that when you flick it over with the stick it will "grab" more that usual. It is very noticable. That is a sign you have too much prime. At that point, try the spinner back flip trick.

Another way to know you have enough prime is to attach the glow ignitor and turn the propellor over slowly while *firmly* holding the prop. You'll feel a small "kick" and that tells you that there is fuel in the cylinder and you have ignition.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:59 PM
jgiles-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Starting Engine

And I thought hand starting was a lost art!

Above directions are great, but with some engines the compression is so low that they're almost impossible to start by hand! Also, every engine seems to have it's own personality. This is good in that once you figure it out, it's somewhat repeatable and looks impressive at the flying field.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:15 PM
Bob Talley

Default Starting Engine

- Been hand starting my engines since the late 1940's - BEFORE the Glow Plug came out. The only ones I WON'T hand start are the 4Cs and any engine over 1.00 cu.in - which I don't have. My favorites of all time are my MVVS 40 and 49. If you use a good HOT glow plug with the recommended fuel (5% nitro - max.) and you open the carb all the way and choke it thru 3 slow prop rounds, without the glow battery on - and then close the carb to 1/3 to 1/4 throttle and apply a hot starter battery, they almost always start on the first or second hand flip. In fact my starter and it's battery hasn't been to the field with me for well over a year.

Bob T.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:15 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting Engine

I haven't "choked "a engine since we started to use muffler pressure. Just put your finger over exhaust exit and flip the propeller. The pressure will push the fuel right up there. Do not do when muffler is hot or you will get neat little circles on the finger ends! >>>>>>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>>>