Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

JB Weld for mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 02:47 PM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JB Weld for mufflers

Can JB Weld be used to fill the mounting holes in a muffler and then tapped for another engine.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:37 PM
scott17

Default RE: JB Weld for mufflers

In a word, no. It won't hold that kind of heat.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:45 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the muffler and what is the new engine? There are several mufflers that will match up with other engines. If you can give an accurate center-to-center measurement in millimeters of the new engine's mounting holes that will help a great deal.

David
Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 AM
tucker1865

Dave: The engine is a OS 45 FSR that I want to mount sideways in a Checkerboard Classic. As you probably know the FSR opening and screws are narrow. Looks like 29mm with an opening of 1/4 by 3/4. I may have to use a strap on Tatone or J-tec or maybe make an adapter. I have several mufflers in the size range but none come close to matching. I don't have the 45 FSR muffler and have been unable to find one. Dave tucker1865
Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the #743 muffler. Bob Boumstein has about six of them for sale ranging from $16 to $21 depending on condition. Contact him here:

http://bobsengines.com/

I have purchased several engines and parts from him. He is completely reputable, a great guy with tons of engines and parts for sale.

David
Old 04-24-2008, 08:24 AM
LouW

Get some aluminum screws in an appropriate size (6-33, 8-32,etc.) Drill out the existing holes with a tap drill for the size aluminum screw you want to use. Tap the hole and install an aluminum screw using loctite. Cut the screw off and file flush with the muffler surface. Drill and tap new holes to match the engine. Since the new holes don't line up exactly with the old ones the inserts will be locked in place even without the loctite.

If there isn't enough edge distance to plug the holes with an aluminum screw, you can make an adapter similar to that shown to adapt almost any combination. The picture is a Tower Hobby muffler installed on a Webra 60.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89086.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	935924  
Old 04-25-2008, 01:21 AM
tucker1865

Hey guys, thanks alot...Dave, the web site for Bob's engines is amazing. Just what I needed. LouW, thanks for the help on the conversion, I have done similar in the past, it is a big help. Dave