Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS H60 FGR Blackhead - Need Info

Old 08-14-2008, 03:37 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (14)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OS H60 FGR Blackhead - Need Info

Can anyone give me any info on the OS H60 FGR Blackhead ? I just purchased one, brand new in the box, from original owner, three piece crankcase.

Thanks,

Crank
Old 08-14-2008, 04:39 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS H60 FGR Blackhead - Need Info

I can't say much about how they run but I have two of these. These FGR's have loop charge porting so I doubt they will be any more powerful than say a K&B .61, they do look to be well built, quality engines. I did have a hard time finding a OS muffler from that period to complete the engine, although any .60 size strap on muffler would probably work okay for flying. Parts for this engine can be hard to come by, although I have picked up a few on epay.

Since you have a new example, unless you really have to fly your engine, it would probably give you more enjoyment displayed.

BTW, there is aanother NIB example for sale on the marketplace right now.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Harry Lagman

I have one of these. They came in several different packages depending on the year of release - some with mufflers supplied (strap on OS muffler) and a variety of firstly airbleed then dual needle carbs (#72 - #74 from memory) then the excellent 7B carb that was also fitted to the FSR .60.

I know from personal experience with mine that if it's the version fitted with the #7B carb, it should, when the needles are tuned, run just like an FSR .60; that is, ultra reliably with damn near perfect carburetion. They are about 500 rpm down on the FSR but otherwise can be interchanged. An OS #8 plug and 0 - 5% nitro fuel are recommended to start off with.

The short version: It's a great OS classic - congrats.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:11 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (14)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RC Dude - Harry - Thanks for the info. I am going to include the ad, which is the exact engine. It is in transit to me now, should get it Saturday or Monday. I also puchased 2 new in the box, Super Tigre G60 ABC Blueheads from the same person. He was the original owner of these engines, pattern flyer in the 70's, then quit, this stuff all sat in boxes until the last week.

I know a little more about the SuperTigre's, used them in Phoenix' in the early 70's. I am back at it again, Phoenix', Vertigo's.
I will take a look at the other OS Blackhead.

Vince
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94024.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1011666   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45640.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1011667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12905.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1011668  
Old 08-15-2008, 03:46 AM
Waco Driver

The FGR was the last 60 crossflow scavenged engine made by OS. They were originally fitted with the Type 74 carb and had a true chrome sleeve. They will run forever with a little care. I have the engine review on this engine by Peter Chinn published in MAN and will scan it & send it to you if you send me your email address.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ran my FGR. It has a new ring, sleeve and bearings so I'm pampering it with rich runs. I'm burning Powermaster GMA 10/29 fuel spinning a Top Flite Super-M 11x8. It hand starts very easily. The #74 carb seems to be simple to adjust. The low speed screw is actually a sleeve with an opening that fits over the spraybar. A very slight rotation of this sleeve adjusts the low speed mixture.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57939.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1057380  
Old 10-23-2008, 03:29 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Cool, that one looks very clean, like a new engine. Nice #704 muffler.

Just curious, what are you going to put this engine in?

One of my FGR's looks just like yours, new. The other engine is very clean, but has some time on it as the head has changed color to a dark brown.

Mike
Old 02-18-2009, 11:53 PM
DakotaKid

I have one of these H60FGR blackheads that I bought new in 1974. I've been flying it all these years in a UFO. It has hundreds of flights on it, and it still starts on the first or second flip. Should last forever!
Old 02-19-2009, 12:38 PM
stg61abc

Hi crankpin, i remeber the max output from this engine: 1.27 HP. I read this info in a vintage Graupner catalog from a friend some weeks ago
Very nice engine. Good luck with it !
Old 05-07-2023, 01:02 PM
Crazy Legs

Default Need Instruction Sheet For Old OS Max Carburetor

I purchased a new OS Max H60F GR engine (AKA Black Head) from a guy on eBay. It has a slightly different carburetor than the "Series 73" Carburetor I have on the OS Max H60F GP (Gold Head). The Carburetor on the Gold Head has a Low Speed Mixture Valve Slotted Adjustment Screw on the Starboard side of the Carburetor and there are three inscribed lines in the rotating cylinder that it rotates in to show you how lean or rich you are going to effect the mid range RPM. For the Carburetor on the newer Black Head engine, it also has what looks like an adjustment screw, but there are no inscribed lines in the rotating cylinder it turns in. So this makes me wonder if it is a Low Speed Mixture Adjustment or not. I'm going to attach two photos: The first one is for the Gold Head that I got as a gift in 1972. The second one is for the Black Head that I just purchased off of eBay. Please let me know if you have any instructions you can share with me for the 2nd Carburetor shown. BTW, the Carburetor on the Gold Head has a "73" inscribed in a raised Aluminum Oval on the front. The Black Head has a raised Aluminum Oval, but there's no number inscribed in it; the oval is completely blank. So I don't know what model Carburetor is on the Black Head. See two photos. Let me know if you have an instruction sheet. Thanks

This is a side view of the Series 73 Carburetor that came with my H60F GP (Gold Head) engine.

This is the side view of the Carburetor on the new H60F GR engine I bought off eBay. I need to know if that's a Screw Driver Adjustment for the Low Speed Mixture or just a screw that holds the Carburetor parts together.
Old 05-07-2023, 10:50 PM
jaka54

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It is the Idle screw!
Old 06-28-2023, 02:18 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Great engine. I ran one almost 50 years ago in an Aeromaster, then about 20 years ago in a ‘50’ size pattern ARF and it ran perfectly. Hard to beat an OS.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:45 PM
Crazy Legs

I installed it in my Test Airplane (the Hanger 9 Ultra-Stick 60) recently and it runs great! I didn't even have to adjust that Low Speed Idle Setting. FYI, I am planning on installing the engine in my not yet finished SIG Astro Hog. The Astro Hog is taking forever to build, but it's about 80 percent complete now. Then I plan on doing a Dope Finish after it's completely done.