Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 80 GK blown up

Old 11-14-2008, 10:57 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Saito 80 GK blown up

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

ORIGINAL: rcdude7

I just put new bearings in a saito 150 and I guess the front bearing seated slightly deeper than the orignal because I now have rod contact with the backplate. I took care of that clearance problem with a pnumatic die grinder w/sanding disk on the backplate. No more interferance problem!

That's an odd defect. You're positive the rear bearing was fully seated? I mean the parts are made to a certain size. If the bore for the front bearing was too deep, it should have been rejected before assembly. That problem just doesn't sound right. Either the bearings or the crank weren't seated correctly.

I had an NIB OS FS-26 that rubbed the backplate. It turned out the crank was an unusually tight fit in the bearings and wasn't fully seated.
Did you measure the width of old and new bearings with a micrometer? Capt,n
Old 11-14-2008, 11:30 PM
DarZeelon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Did you measure the width of old and new bearings with a micrometer?
Bearings with identical inner and outer dimensions can have different widths.

For example, early MVVS .61 engines used the 16002 rear bearing (32x15x8 mm).
Later MVVS big-block engines (.61, .77 and .91) now all use the 6002 rear bearing (32x15x9 mm)...

The inner and outer diameters are identical, but not the thickness...
The later, wider bearing has a 30% higher dynamic load rating, to withstand the higher loads imposed upon it by the larger .77 and .91 displacements.

But if you happen to own an older MVVS .61 that has worn its bearings out (that will be the day...), please note that the rear bearing will not fit into the crankcase...

...Neither will the new front bearing, but it has 1 mm larger diameters and the same thickness...
Old 11-20-2008, 11:17 PM
perdo
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an up-date for you on this engine of mine. I recieved the new connecting rod from my LHS today. and the new rod does not have the bronze bushing in it, as the original equipment had. and seems to be a lot thicker on the bottom end. I am guessing this is because it is not bored for the bushing. all went back together in just minutes, and I never had to pull the piston out of the bore. just slid it out far enought to get the wrist pin and teflon buttons back in place. oiled it up good as I went and adjusted the valve lash. Great compression and smooth operation again..

Thanks for all the guys that tried to answer, and to those that got off subject a little, this is a great forum on a great site.

Don//
Old 11-20-2008, 11:55 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good job
Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Dar, here is my pre 1990 .80GK, it does have a bronze bushing and I believe my circa 1991 1.50 also has a bushed rod, I think they are the only ones I have with bushings.
I see where there has been rust?
The "rust",if that is what it is on the balance of the crankshaft, looks just like my New Saito 120(pictures in another thread in this forum). After less than six months and probably 20 reasonably short flights, my crank looks just like the one in post #14 above.