GMS .61 enginne

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:16 PM
LDMorrow
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMS .61 enginne

HELP!
I have a GMS 2000 .61 engine that I would like to use on my U-CAN-DO .46, but when I inverted the engine on the plane and went to fly it I would no more than get off the motor would die.
#1. I checked for holes in the line and could not find any
#2. I also set the fuel tank according to GMS manual
I sure could use some help with this problem.
Larry
Old 11-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Ram Jet

Default RE: GMS .61 enginne

I was curious as to what a GMS 2000 was. I went to http://www.mecoa.com/gms/ and see that they are closing out the GMS line. You might want to check it out and stock-up on parts. I can't tell you why your engine won't run inverted. If I were you I would remove the carb, disassemble it and soak the parts in lacquer thinner AFTER REMOVING ANY AND ALL RUBBER "O" RINGS ETC because lacquer thinner will will ruin rubber parts. Then I would run gas welding tip cleaners through all the jet orfices (they will not nick your jet orfices) and blow them out with compressed air. Take your tank apart or blow into the discharge tube to make sure there is no blockage. Check your tank vent too. I think the center line of the tank should be in line with your carb - or higher. If you are running translucent silicone fuel lines and your fuel is tinted a color you should be able to put your finger over the carb throat and flip the engine over and see the fuel moving toward the carb. As a last resort make sure you have no crankcase leaks which will raise the devil with a two cycle's performance. I'm sure you've checked your glow plug and power supply.

Out of ideas here.

Bill
Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDXM3&P=ML
Old 11-26-2008, 12:22 AM
longdan

Sounds like you have the classic GMS fuel starvation problem. There is a very long thread somewhere here about how to cure this, but basically it involves drilling through the fuel inlet nipple. Some GMS engines were assembled with fuel holes misaligned which 'seems' to be the cause of a lot of trouble with them. Drilling out the carb basically fixes it. Search out the thread and see for yourself.
GMS engines are good engines and should run inverted just as well as any other engine. I have a GMS .61 and it is a real powerhouse. I drilled out the fuel inlet on mine even before firing it up. Never had any problems, though mine rune right way up.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:01 AM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

Make sure your carb is tight on the O-ring. And a Fox Idle bar plug is a good choice when running inverted.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:13 AM
LDMorrow
My Feedback: (9)

Hey, Thanks a lot everyone for all good the input. I now have a good running engine and we are about to go to the flying field to give it a good run out.
Again Thanks.