Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

ENYA Carb Settings...?

Old 03-09-2020, 07:04 AM
out_door_man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a brand new never run Enya 45 CX off a well known auction site. Is a model 6201 but it has the twin needle carb not the normal air bleed. Never seen one before??. Stamped ENYA and looks like it is original. Anybody else come across this sort of carb as i cant seem to find any information on it on the internet?. I seem to be collecting Enya engines.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:37 AM
buzzard bait

The two-needle carb is the normal carb for the CX. The low speed needle is more critical than the air bleed, and you adjust it the opposite way; screw out for richer, in for leaner. Wherever it's set will almost certainly be fine for testing. The only big problem happens if it's way lean. Then it can make the HS needle impossible to adjust, but that would be unusual.

A caution on that recent "quiet" Enya muffler. It's a terrible power thief! I got one too and eventually took out the insert when it gave me 800 rpm less than the old muffler! And that was on a 12x4, not a small prop. Taking out the ring gave it about the same power as the old muffler...and about the same noise too.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:48 AM
out_door_man

Thanks Buzzard Bait.
The same as any 2 needle carb then. The low speed needle is so tiny it looks like I will have to watch my fingers?. I will give it a run, once it stops raining, and see how it performs. Cant' wait.
Thanks.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:22 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 40CX myself, but mine is not the TN type carb, but rather the G type carb (airbleed). Both carbs work quite well - I have other ENYA engines with the TN type carb. If you start out with both needles roughly 3-turns out from lightly seated, it should start (rather rich) at 1/3-1/2 throttle. On the AAC engines, start them rich and as soon as the engine runs, lean the high speed down so it is rich but lean enough that it doesn’t miss and burble. Do this on a prop with 1” less diameter than the intended flight prop. Do this for a tank of fuel at WOT and then set the idle mixture for good idle and transition. Me personally, I’d then run 2-3 more tanks on the bench before putting it into service. Treated right, Enya engines last seemingly forever.