Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS FS 110-a

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:56 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: OS FS 110-a

The posts are all in consecutive order with no missing numbers.

Lets forget it and stick to the subject of the original poster
Old 06-01-2009, 05:31 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Wise_Man

Today I bench run my OS 110 and tached the max RPMs for a few different props. Before giving you the numbers let me brieflytell you the history of engine.

I bought this engine second hand. The guy who sold me the engine told that he only bench run it for break in and performance evaluation. Since I was not quite sure about the exact history I started with the standard break in procedure and burnt 2 tanks (10-oz each) of fuel (Omega 10% nitro, I like my engines to see some castor oil) with a APC 15x4 prop. Then, I used the following props and tached max sustainable RPMs:

APC 15x4 ===> 10300 RPM

APC 15x6 ===> 9500 RPM

APC 16x4 ===> 9200 RPM

Can someone crank these numbers to give mecorresponding static thrust values? Thanks.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

- I should tell you that this is my first 4 stroke engine, and I truely fell in love with its sound. The sexiest sound occurs during fast back-and-forth throttle motions from idle to part throttle.

- It is quite easy to idle between 1900-2000 RPM but around 2200 gives more confidence. Transitions from idle to full (or part) throttleare excellent andvery strong.

- I used the hear that muffler temperature goes quite high in 4 strokes, well I guess it is all true. Itwas so hot that inside of the fuel line from exhaust nipple to fuel tank became slightly blackened, so was the part of fuel tank wall around vent pipe.

- During my first tank, nuts on exhauts manifold came loose. I re-tightened them when the engine was hot, andit didn't happen again (another thing I've kept hearing about 4 strokes, i.e.,mufflers coming loose during flight). BTW, what do you guys use between manifold and muffler/engine exhaust port? I hear teflon tapes, high temp silicone sealants, which one gives the best results?

- Engine vibration was not any stronger than one would get with a 2 stroke. This was a bench run though. I still need to see it on a plane, hopefully soon.

I had a number of problems with exhaust manifold securing nuts coming loose in flight on both an OS 90 and an OS 120. I purchased Permatex Ultra Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker (from Autozone) and applied it to all of the exhaust system threaded connections and my problems dissappeared instantly. It is a little messy to work with but not bad, presents no difficulties during disassembly and a single tube goes a very long way. I apply it to all of the threaded parts connecting the muffler, exhaust pipe, and engine exhaust manifold connnection. It has been a great problem solver for me. If you would like the Permatex part number or additional info just let me know.

Howard
Old 06-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Wise_Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip on Permatex, I will give it a try if I need to. I maidened my AW 60-90 Extra yesterday with the OS 110 alpha on the nose. After the first flight I noticed that muffler got slightly loose, rotated, touched the edge of cowl opening and slightly melted it. I then retightened it and it seemed OK after the 2nd flight. I'm using Omega 10% nitro and hoping that castor oil will seal the threads eventually. If doesn't work, well, then I might try Permatex but I guess I would first try Teflon tape as it is no mess.

BTW, I have a question for Teflon tape users. What grade (or color) teflon tape are you using?

Ohh before I forget, I found the vibration level of OS 110 on the plane pretty minimal, not as smooth as my OS 46 FX but definetely much better than my OS 75 AX.

I have one more question about hand starting this engine. Well I don't have a starter and like the idea of hand starting engines without forcing it. I believe the correct amount of priming is key to easy starts. So far, I feel like 5 cycles of priming (10 full rotations of prop) by closing the muffler's end with finger and at WOT is the correct amount of priming (I momentarily remove my finger during compression stage since I noticed that fuel flows back to the tank if I don't). Mostly it works very good and starts at one flip of spinner. But sometime it doesn't work. Any tips here are more than welcomed ...

Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 PM
g_mkoch

I just say in the OS web page that they are coming out with pumped versions for the 110 and 81. Here is a link: http://www.os-engines.co.jp/090527/pump.html
Does anyone know anything about them.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:43 PM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: g_mkoch

I just say in the OS web page that they are coming out with pumped versions for the 1.10 and .81. Here is a link: http://www.os-engines.co.jp/090527/pump.html
Does anyone know anything about them?
Mr Koch,

I just hope for for the sake of those who buy them, that they don't turn out to be like the now (rightfully) discontinued OS.70 Ultimate...
That engine and the .70FL were not among OS' marketing paragons, because of dysfunctionalities...
Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Dar, the FS-70U was the first one to use the new pump system, and had an entirely unique carb. They subsequently released the FS-91SII-P, FS-120SII-P, and FS-200S-P without any issue. I'm sure the latest pumped four stroke offering will be OK.

What kind of problems have you had with these engines, Dar? The 91 and 120 pumped I've had were just fine.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

What kind of problems have you had with these engines, Dar?
ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

I just hope for for the sake of those who buy them, that they don't turn out to be like the now (rightfully) discontinued OS.70 Ultimate...
That engine and the .70FL were not among OS' marketing paragons, because of dysfunctionalities...
Greg,

I did not and never said I did have problems.
In fact, I have only helped one person here with the FL... It took a few minutes, but I managed to get it adjusted for flight.

But from what I read about it in this forum, many had much less pleasant experience with it.

I never saw an Ultimate in-person; only read about it here and acted as a repeater...

I stipulated only that both were not great marketing successes.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:23 PM
gkamysz

Thank you for clearing up.

You have no comment on the successful release of the later pumped engines? They obviously built on their experience with the FS-70U, when they released that later series. In addition we don't really know why the FS-70U had it's problems. We don't know if it was a design fault or a production fault.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:35 PM
DarZeelon

Greg,

I have not commented on the later pumped engines, because in Israel it is either YS, or Saito.
Very few here fly with OS four-strokes and I have yet to see a pumped one, although I heard about an old 1.20P that was listed...

In this forum they are not discussed very often either. I did not notice a thread about a new pumped one...

They don't seem to be selling hysterically either.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:32 PM
gkamysz

Why repeat hearsay then?
Old 06-04-2009, 03:50 PM
DarZeelon

Greg,

You asked why I did not remark on the (better) later pumped engines and I replied...

And now you ask why I repeat hearsay?!
Hearsay is not necessarily wrong information...

This is not court, nor is it the house judicial committee... Anyone may quote, or repeat what he/she reads here...

Old 07-25-2009, 02:37 PM
craigm0211

I've recently installed an OS 1.10 FSa into my Javelin. Broke the engine in on a prop size 15x6 and this was achieving around 9300rpm. Looking for a bit more pull so installed 15x8 prop and the rpm wouldn't go above 7300 rpm. Going to drop down to a 14x8. I haven't yet run a gallon of fuel through this engine yet so probably early days for the bigger props but I doubt as mentioned previously that it would turn efficiently a 16x8. Would be interested to see if anyone here has run a 15x8 or higher and what their outputs are.

Must add, this is a beautiful engine and very quiet when up in the skies.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:22 AM
kochj

Greg,

You asked why I did not remark on the (better) later pumped engines and I replied...

This is not court, nor is it the house judicial committee... Anyone may quote, or repeat what he/she reads here...

You simplisticly crack me up...

ONe would think the recent rebate program that has recently arose on TOwerhobbies, might be a proxy infark
of the later post recipitcating os's use of a fuel pump....
If memory seves me, they precceded the release of the 200 pumped version with a rebate program as well.

If I went with the current 110a 50$ merch, and 60$ off... THat is a savings of over 110$... if you include the free shipping!....
The 81 looks even better with a final price of 250$ ...!!

ONe thing about a OS is this......It always runs reliable!....It may not be the MOST powerfull engine in it;s class, but it just may
be the easiest handling, best idlieing, dependable engine in the crop.....

JMHO!.....though...and my experiences......
There may be copies of the os .91 but it isn't a OS !.... Say what you will, it doesn't run the same.... I know from experience....
Old 08-05-2009, 12:33 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: Wise_Man

I have one more question about hand starting this engine. Well I don't have a starter and like the idea of hand starting engines without forcing it. I believe the correct amount of priming is key to easy starts. So far, I feel like 5 cycles of priming (10 full rotations of prop) by closing the muffler's end with finger and at WOT is the correct amount of priming (I momentarily remove my finger during compression stage since I noticed that fuel flows back to the tank if I don't). Mostly it works very good and starts at one flip of spinner. But sometime it doesn't work. Any tips here are more than welcomed ...

I once heard that the trick was to back flip the prop with throttle WO and finger over carb after forward primmin (this load the crankshaft??)
THen apply the ignitor and back flip....Problem is not always able to get finger over carb>or choke.....never worked all that great for me.

I have always felt that best way was to flood the crap out of engine, get a good strong glow ignitor battery and backflip untill it starts running....\

THis has worked well for flip starting.....If you don't get it wet enough, I find it much more work....

Fip untill you can hear that fuel sloshing in the carb when you flip it with WOT....
THen ignite it and back flip.... I never go by how many priming flips, because it seems to always very....

Old 08-18-2009, 11:34 AM
g_mkoch

I just wanted to ad that this is a great engine.
I'm running a Zinger Pro 15 X 6 with Power Master YS/Saito 20-20.
The engine gives 9650 rpm and uses about 8 oz of fuel during a 10 minute flight (depending on throttle use).
Old 09-10-2009, 07:57 AM
thompsonlodge

Recently installed an OS 110. in a 13 lb biplane on floats. After break-in, The engine turned a 15/8 APC at 84-85 hundred rpm on 15 % Cool Power fuel.. Engine very easy to tune, but the muffler did loosen during first flight.. Used red loctite, and is still secure and dry after @ 10 flights.. Combination flies very realistic at 60% output, and has great vertical at full throttle..Very reliable idle..JS
Old 09-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: kochj

Greg,

You simplisticly crack me up...

ONe would think the recent rebate program that has recently arose on TOwerhobbies, might be a proxy infark
of the later post recipitcating os's use of a fuel pump....
If memory seves me, they precceded the release of the 200 pumped version with a rebate program as well.

If I went with the current 110a 50$ merch, and 60$ off... THat is a savings of over 110$... if you include the free shipping!....
The 81 looks even better with a final price of 250$ ...!!

ONe thing about a OS is this......It always runs reliable!....It may not be the MOST powerfull engine in it;s class, but it just may
be the easiest handling, best idlieing, dependable engine in the crop.....

JMHO!.....though...and my experiences......
There may be copies of the os .91 but it isn't a OS !.... Say what you will, it doesn't run the same.... I know from experience....
Smiles...[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 PM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

A coworker of mine just got a new OS 110 pumped engine. He is putting it on a Sig Mayhem and is planning on using a 16x6 apc. Suitcase has the exact same plane with a YS110 also using a 16x6. I am sure we will get them to the field one sunday together and see how the two perform.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:57 PM
gmccluskey

Does anyone know if the threads on the exhaust port of the FS110a are the same as the FS120? I am looking for a pitts stye muffler for a side mounted engine.

George