Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

A WORD OF WARNING ABOUT OFF BRANDED ENGINES

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

A WORD OF WARNING ABOUT OFF BRANDED ENGINES

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 PM
mike109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A WORD OF WARNING ABOUT OFF BRANDED ENGINES

G'day Weight is more important here than power. The 100 is a light engine for it is size and power and this makes it an ideal fit in the Four Star. The OSs and their clones (ASP etc) are generally heavier though not always.

And there is always the throttle. Part of the beauty of four strokes is that they are happy to work at part power and then pour on the gas and away you go instantly. My Saitos (13 at the latest count) spend most of their time between half and 2/3 throttle.

As W8YE said, the GK version is identical apart from a coat of black paint and some gold on the tappet covers. All my Saitos are the standard silver versions apart from a couple of multi cylinder ones which have black cylinders.

Another small selling point for Saito, the 50, 56, 62, 72 and 82 all have the same mounting dimensions. And the 100 is the same as the OS 91.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: stevenmax50

And what is your opinion of the Saito Golden Knight series?

I think it is pretier than the plain jane saito.

The GK is the same engine under the pretty black paint and gold plated valve covers.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:32 PM
mike109

I agree they are prettier but are they really worth the extra 20 to 30%? Now if they went better .....

I had a GK 45 at one stage. I made the mistake of trying to clean it with brake cleaner. Then I had a nice silver one.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:37 AM
AERORICH73

Well fellows, I have ventured into purchasing every kind of OFF BRAND weird engine made so far. My first venture was getting the GMS .47 engine, and then three more after my first one left on a flyaway trainer. Next came the SK .50 engines which I have two, and now have one JBA .39, and two .46's. The .39 is in a trainer after going through the break-in run. Purchased a new ASP .75 now in a Flying King, two TigerSharks a .75 and .91. On e-bay, I won an ASP .61, and .46 along with a tired Rossi .40 that needed new bearings. As a retired aircraft mechanic, I enjoy trying out new engine designs from different companies. Since my type of flying is mostly flat around the flight zone, the engines really are just needed to rotate a prop from takeoff to landing. Using all castor Sig 10% nitro fuel, I have had no engine problems at all so far as needing to purchase repair parts. The only engine that would not turn the prop consistantly was the MDS .40. The carb had problems, so just gave it away for someone else to play with. While I understand the gest of the discussion, I am puzzled by the need for purchasing repair parts for engines. Yes, the stripped crank threads is a real problem, but it seems to be the only one mentioned so far. Many engines go through gallons of fuel after being broken in properly, and then run with sufficient oil for years. In viewing the future, I would think through whether it was wise to repair and old faithful engine, than purchase a new one with a warranty. Give the faithful one a nice stand to display on a shelf, which remindes you of the great flights the engine made before retiring.

[email protected]
Old 07-22-2009, 02:42 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Aerorich,

I can identify with your interest in engines. I've always enjoyed working with them. I started working on automotive engines after a GM dealer ripped me off on a tune up. I figured I could mess it up cheaper than they could. My interest carried over when I got back into aeromodeling. I still have a Saito .45 that I rebuilt into a new crankcase, after a crash cracked the original. That was "way back when" repair parts weren't ruinously expensive.

I have one of the original GMS .47's, the one with the large shaft nut. Picked it up used but it hauls a Tower Kaos around quite well. I found the nut and a washer at a local hardware store! Like you, I haven't needed engine parts in the normal running of things. Crashes and/or thrown props are another matter.

I noticed that a contributor to this thread mentioned needing parts for a ST .60. I have one that runs well but has a cracked muffler screw-boss. I'd sell it......

CR
Old 07-22-2009, 02:42 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AERORICH
I agree with you, I've got no hesitation buying an "off brand" engine if it strikes my fancy and I can get it reasonably cheap from the favourite market place . I've bought MDS 78, SC 108, SC 120, Bluebird 51 and 28 and they've all been very good. Actually as far as I'm concerned these are all brand name engines, not "off brand", but it's when you get things like a Stass's 42 you're really getting into "off brand" stuff.

I'm not a retired aircraft mechanic though, I'm a retired aircraft engine fitter so I like playing with engines too. In 50+ years of playing with model engines I've only once had to use a warranty (faulty case hardening on an ST wrist pin) and only once had to get new rings for an Enya that had several hundred hours of running on it. And seeing I mentioned Enya, it's about time Americans (in particular) realised there's a better alternative to OS . Unless you want a Wankel.......
Old 07-22-2009, 02:43 AM
estradajae

MDS has a new website and they are delivering parts...

www.mds-engines.com

They have now a new series engines.

I am also the guy at the fiel with the strange engines...I came at the field once with a magnum...the others said...if its not o.s, its junk...and after a couple of flights...they started asking about the engine...
so it was with my tower....with my thunder tiger...and so on..

I have a new MDS 48 to try, my plane is not finished.

I don't think I would buy an O.S engine in the near future.... the difference now is not about 20% or 20 dolars (€ here)...it is just about double, specially if you take a look at the new 4 strokes...I paid 160 € for my TT F75s, while the new Alpha 72 cost about 300€....are you kidding me? I could also buy a ASP 70 for about 140 or something, but I just had to buy the TT.

I paid 40€ for my MDS 48 (with the new carb)... you can get a JBA 91 for about 90€.

SO far for me, all my "rare" engines are working ok, and I can enjoy my expensive hobby, making it not so expesive as it could.

Saludos,

Jorge
Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Beam
My Feedback: (1)

rsieminski

check out the following website for parts. Many are interchangable.

http://www.kangkeusa.com/indexo.htm
Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rsieminski

So you do all the research on the engine, ask people's opinions on the web, rpm numbers, etc. You get that SK, JBA, SK, TS, MDS, Whatever engine, and saved $20. A few years later you can't get any parts for them, because they discontinued that whole line of engines. Now some have had a longer run than others, like MDS, but at this point you still can't get parts for them.

Sooo, think twice about purchasing that new line of engine, because if something goes wrong with it, you may be replacing the whole thing, instead of a $15 part.
It's interesting how we all seem to be interpreting who is an "off brand" and who is a "primary brand" during this discussion.

Sanye is a major manufacturer of RC glow engines and they produce engines under the Sanye, ASP, Evolution, and Magnum brand names among others.

GMS is a major manufacturer of RC glow engines and they manufacuture engines under the GMS, Super Tigre, and Tower Hobbies brands, to name a few.

JBA is a major manufacturer of RC glow engines and they manufacture engines under the JBA, SK, and VMax names, as well as likely manufacturing several other smaller brands.

MDS wasn't an "off brand" of RC engine, MDS is a major manufacturer of RC glow engines whose North American distribution arrangements fell apart during the rise of electric power and the shrinking of market demand for glow engines. Parts dried up not because MDS quit offering them, but because Horizon Hobby dropped support for the brand. You can add other premium engine manufacturers like Enya, Webra, MVVS, and more to the list of premium manufacturers who have been squeezed out of the North American glow engine market to one degree or another.

Buying a particular brand is no guarantee of spare parts availability, either. Tower Hobbies is as well known of a brand as any, yet many Tower Hobbies brand engine owners were very frustrated when many parts when on back order for a year or more following various production, shipping, and Olympics issues. This also impacted GMS and Super Tigre brands.

O.S. Max and Thunder Tiger certainly don't keep spare parts available in perpetuity. Any brand of engine can be a challenge to keep in spare parts once the engine is replaced with a newer model.

Folks often complain about Thunder Tiger parts availability despite the fact that Thunder Tiger spares are plentiful and readily available. Ace Hobby doesn't sell directly to end users like Horizon, Global, or Hobbico will; you simply have to find a local hobby retailer who will order your parts, or visit any of the numerous online Thunder Tiger resellers for spares.

RC glow engines aren't any different from any other consumer product. Service and parts availability varies considerably and the level of service available when you purchase something can change quickly after you've plunked down your money. If you can't count on your Pontiac or Saturn dealer to be here six months from now, how certain can you be about availability on replacement cylinder heads for your O.S. Max 1.40 RX?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

All new lines of engines were an "off brand" at some point in their history.

Does anyone remember when Hobby Shack began importing a new line of Japanese engines with the name "Saito"? I don't know the story, but at some point Hobby Shack was not longer importing/distributing them, and Horizon Hobbies is and has been the USA distributor for many years now.

The line of engines didn't receive immediate wide acceptance. Getting replacement parts were a concern to me.

I wasn't willing to take a chance with one at the time, even though they were far cheaper than an OS...

Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 PM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Well here's my .02 cents, MDS, SK, ASP, Mutunic, GMS, are crap grade engines, mostly crap carbs though. IMO I would rather pay some extra bucks and buy a quality engine and go out and have no headaches, rather than go out and struggle to get one of these engines running, tuned or keep running. There is nothing worse than going out and having engine problems, especially on a new airplane. Super Tigre's can be a real PITA sometimes too! They'll run 100% one day and be a total piece of crap the next day, can't figure them out sometimes. As far as the Tower and magnum engines, they don't seem to be that bad, Magnums got some weak cranks though.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ASP engines are exactly the same as the magnum engines (I have replaced parts on my ASP's with parts ordered from Hobby People's magnum parts store), this has been backed up by an email from Just Engines.com. OS parts are supposed to be the same also but at thier extremely high prices for parts I have never tried them. Bearings I get from BocaBearings.com. (Yes, I go through bearing rather fast when I forget to burn the water out of my float plane engines....you can figure out for yourself as to why they would need to be cleaned out )
Old 07-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will put my Tower .75's up against any OS .61FX or .75AX engine any day of the week, for Both power, reliability, and cost. My .75's start on the first back snap of the spinner, and only dead stick when you run them out of fuel. I have also ran magnum 2 and four strokes and they run every bit as reliable as the comparable OS.
The nice thing is the fact that I don't have to worry about wipping the OS peeled cylinder lining off my leading edge.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 PM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

ORIGINAL: Prop Nut

ASP engines are exactly the same as the magnum engines (I have replaced parts on my ASP's with parts ordered from Hobby People's magnum parts store), this has been backed up by an email from Just Engines.com. OS parts are supposed to be the same also but at thier extremely high prices for parts I have never tried them. Bearings I get from BocaBearings.com. (Yes, I go through bearing rather fast when I forget to burn the water out of my float plane engines....you can figure out for yourself as to why they would need to be cleaned out )
ASP's seem to be a direct knock off of OS Except for the carb, I think the ASP carb differs from the magnum. I forgot Evolution motors, you know the ones that run great until the con-rod comes through the case, I've seen this happen quite often at our field, well at least 2 I witnessed.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:49 PM
blw

ORIGINAL: downunder
And seeing I mentioned Enya, it's about time Americans (in particular) realised there's a better alternative to OS . Unless you want a Wankel.......

It could be that this perception of OS sales in the U.S. is a myth. It does appear from info from what is mentioned on RCU and bits of info from other parts of the country that OS is in the minority when stacked up against the other brands. In any case, I don't see how OS can hold current sales levels with the new line of engines. Just my opinion here, but OS may be relegated to a niche status.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Prop Nut

DoH!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a whole lot of OS two strokes still at the flying field from years past

You may go the one field and most everyone is flying a certain brand and at another field 20 mi away there will be a different promenent brand.

And surprisingly I was at a field one day where Mecoa was the most popular engine.

Back in the previous Century around here was Super Tiger country. Now it is Saito. Any OS stuff is old.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Prop Nut

I wonder if the internet has hurt O.S. sales the most? Before you could click it and buy you went to the local hobby store or looked in TowerHobbies catalog. The most prominent brand in both was O.S.

Just a thought.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:07 PM
jeffie8696

I just love to tinker with a "diamond in the rough". Finding the solution to a poorly running cheap engine if fun to me. And I have done it with several brand engines. Plug and play is too easy. Most commonly carbs are the biggest problem, I take used crappy running engines and replace the carb with a good one and have a great runner for cheap.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:27 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

I believe ASP is Sanye brand. SC is a brand of a UK distributer. Magnum is Hobby People's brand and used to be Thunder Tigre engines. So all are off brand except ASP. Both original brand and off brand can be of poor quality.

ASP was Indy R/C's brand, IIRC. Jim Goad was involved with the engine line's specifications and marketing here in the USA.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ASP was Indy R/C's brand, IIRC. Jim Goad was involved with the engine line's specifications and marketing here in the USA.
Same name is used outside the United States, Canada, Great Britian, Europe. etc. So I am pretty sure it is the manufacture name.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:11 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There was also a guy named "Alvin So" involed with the old ASP engines at Indy R/C. Last I talked to him he was with Aviastar.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:18 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Same name is used outside the United States, Canada, Great Britian, Europe. etc. So I am pretty sure it is the manufacture name.

Today - yes. In the mid to late Eighties? I don't think so.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-22-2009, 06:04 PM
AERORICH73

Yes NM2K: I ordered my first GMS .47 and a Pica Spitfire kit from Jim Goad in the 90's during my neck surgery recovery. I still remember the first time I ran this engine, and its' bark when going from full throttle to idle. Purchased three more later on from Tower after Indy closed. Really liked Indy's inventory. It was a sad day when my plane stalled a bit to far from the club field, and I did not go to full power heading for some altitude. We never found the plane.

In addition to my previous writing, both of my e-bay wins for the two TigerShark engines came with carb defects. Knowing how to fix the problems kept them from becoming paper weights. It is extremely exciting to me when getting something others think is junk to run very well pulling a plane into the air and back again. It becomes HO HUM when an engine just runs without any tinkering. I congratulate modelers who can try out different carbs to solve a fuel delivery problem. With over 30 engines, guess I could mix and match also. When it comes to parts availability, has anyone found a parts supplier for a Ryboi weedeater?

[email protected]
Old 07-22-2009, 06:37 PM
ramboy

Someone at my field today brought a trainer with a new Magnum XLS 52 on it. That engine purrs like a kitten at idle and pulls hard on the top end. There were no carb problems with that Magnum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.