Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

A WORD OF WARNING ABOUT OFF BRANDED ENGINES

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

A WORD OF WARNING ABOUT OFF BRANDED ENGINES

Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 AM
rsieminski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A WORD OF WARNING ABOUT OFF BRANDED ENGINES

So you do all the research on the engine, ask people's opinions on the web, rpm numbers, etc. You get that SK, JBA, SK, TS, MDS, Whatever engine, and saved $20. A few years later you can't get any parts for them, because they discontinued that whole line of engines. Now some have had a longer run than others, like MDS, but at this point you still can't get parts for them.

Sooo, think twice about purchasing that new line of engine, because if something goes wrong with it, you may be replacing the whole thing, instead of a $15 part.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Patxipt

Default RE: A WORD OF WARNING ABOUT OFF BRANDED ENGINES

Ripmax in the UK has many spares for older OSes, as Just Engines has for older ASPs.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Turk1

I prefer a new nonbrand engine for the price of an OS piston/liner set.
Did you ever try a JBA F type 56 engine?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:49 AM
rsieminski

I'm afraid to now. I got a Tiger Shark .52 on sale a few years ago. I just now broke it in, changed the prop for flying, and stripped out the threads on the soft crank with the AL spinner nut. I tightened it just like the GMS's that I broke in on the same day. So now I cannot find a crank anywhere. Apparently they were only made for a few years, and then discontinued. So now no parts. I have several Magnums, and I can still get parts for them, thank God.

OS IMO is way over priced. I like Magnum, Tower, and GMS.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Sport_Pilot

I MDS isn't an off brand. In fact I think JBA is the only one you listed that is off brand. Magnum for example is an off brand, an engine made for global by Sanye. Their actual brand is ASP.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM
rsieminski

Actually Sanye's brand is Sanye, designated by S52 for example. They also make Mag, ASP, and another that escapes me now. The Sanye's, maybe an off brand but they have stood the test of time. Maybe I should have been more specific. I got stung with the Tiger Shark, Leo, and MDS... You just have to be confident that the co will continue to produce that line in the future. JBA, and Tiger Shark are all made in the same factory.... will they be around next year?? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure ASP, MAGNUM, GMS, TOWER, Super Tigre, etc will be around, but who knows.

But at this point I trust MAG, Tower, and GMS. I would trust ASP, but I don't have a reliable US source for parts.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

The Tower Hobbies .75 is by far my favorite engine. It runs the same "AWESOME" every time I go flying and the parts if for instance you give it a dirt nap are very reasonably priced. I have well over 12 gallons through one of them, and it is like new.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TOWG0175&P=Z
Old 07-21-2009, 12:47 PM
rsieminski

This company sells the Sanye brand:
http://www.peakmodel.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=227
Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 PM
jeffie8696

Replacement parts for OS engines are priced way too high.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Sport_Pilot

Actually Sanye's brand is Sanye,
No that is the name of the company, not the brand. The brand is ASP, they own that brand. They also make the same engines for Hobby People, they own the Mangnum name brand, so those engines are off brand. Sears owns the Craftsmand brand, they contract with tool makers, lawn mower manufacture's, and others to market products under that brand. That is also and off brand because the manufacture is not the owner of the brand.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

Replacement parts for OS engines are priced way too high.

OS engines are priced double what there value is to me. I will not buy them so I do not have to worry about paying OS's prices.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:29 PM
rsieminski

Sanye S91A
$118.33
118 reward points
Specifications:

* Bore: 27.7mm
* Stroke: 24.8mm
* Displacement: .91cu.in. (14.95cc)
* Practical RPM: 2,000 - 15,000
* Weight w/Muffler: 24.8 oz.
* Weight w/o Muffler: 18.9 oz.

Maybe it is ASP, but they market it as Sanye brand. The images are too small to see the imprinted logo. It looks like a typical MAG/ASP engine though. They make another brand, do you remember what it was?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:41 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sanye also makes "SC" and KOYOSHO that are like Magnum and ASP as well as Evolution and RCS engines which are made to order for someone else
Old 07-21-2009, 01:47 PM
jeffie8696

I like OS engines just fine just cant see spending %40 of the cost of a new engine for just a piston and liner. I have had a lot of trouble with Magnum engines for some reason, usually carb related but also had valve spring trouble in my XL52RFS. Thunder Tiger has given me much less trouble and the parts are inexpensive but their customer service is iffy. Aviatronics engines are made well but there has been a lot of carb related troubles however Sigs customer service is outstanding!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:49 PM
rsieminski

That's it! Super Custom or something. I never saw them sold here in the states.

Anyway, my whole point was: watch out for the here today gone tomorrow brands, because I have lots of MDS's, a Leo, and a Tiger Shark that are as good as worthless at this point, because I cannot get parts for them.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:52 PM
jeffie8696

I have had some luck on the famous auction site buying defunct engines and piecing them together.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:01 PM
AMB

Super custom same as ASP and Magnum made for UK distribution martin
Old 07-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Sport_Pilot

I believe ASP is Sanye brand. SC is a brand of a UK distributer. Magnum is Hobby People's brand and used to be Thunder Tigre engines. So all are off brand except ASP. Both original brand and off brand can be of poor quality.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Iflyglow

I personally stick with the tower .75 when it comes to a .60-.75 size engine. There customer service is excellent for the Tower name products. I used to run Magnum four strokes, but nolonger have any planes for them. I have switched to gas except for my two Tower .75's. If I would ever need a part, shipping is only $3.00 and it would be here in a couple days. Hobby People also have excellent service for there Magnums. I personally cannot see paying $10.00 less to get some engine that only one place seems to distribute.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:40 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

I am considering building either a Goldberg Tiger 60 or the Sig Four Star 60 and I want to put the Magnum 91 or 70  4 stroke.  At less than $170 it is a steal in comparison to OS.  Am I getting what I pay for?  Is it a cheap engine that will not perform?   The equivelant size OS is 300 plus.  Almost double.  The Magnum sounds too good to be true.  Any opinions? 
Old 07-21-2009, 05:53 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Were thay all not "off brands" at one time? Some made it and some did not. You might pass an off brand now that turns out to be the greatest thing ever.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Steve Landron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about lack of part support for "Off-Brand" engines. I have had just as much trouble trying to order parts for my old Super Tiger .60, which I need a piston and piston sleeve. I have two MDS engines that are still running great, I guess if they decide to go and I can't get parts, I'll just buy a new O.S. engine. No biggie. From what I've seen lately many of these companies don't seem to last forever, especially in today’s economy.

Steve

[8D]
Old 07-21-2009, 08:10 PM
mike109

G'day Your Four Star 60 or Tiger 60 will fly well with either of those Magnum/ASP (Sanye) engines.

If you buy an OS, you will get a 99.9% chance that the engine will be fine and you will not have problems. With the Sanye engines, this is probably about 95%. A Saito would be in the 99.9% range too.

I have had several ASP/Magnum four strokes. I had two 30s, a 52, a 61, a 70 and I have a new 91 at the moment. All have needed some running in to give their best and all were fine engines after this was done. I put them all in trainers to run them in then transfered them to their main task after that. The only problem I had was that I had two 30s which I intended to put in a twin. They were very powerful for their size (far more powerful than the OS 26s I also had) but they were never totally consistent and never ran well as a pair. The 52 was a no problem engine. It is still hauling a Kadet Senior around. The 61 was similar. It pulled my Goldberg Cub around really well. It is the same size as the 52 but a bit more powerful. The 70 flies a Corby Starlet. I initially wanted to put a Saito 72 in it but the Saito exhaust would not fit in the cowl. The ASP did and is still there. I have sold all of these engines to fund other projects but I still see them flying with their new owners. My 91 has not yet been run but friend has several and has not had problems with them.

Having said all that, I would put a Saito 100 in your intended model. I put a Saito 72 (which was new at the time) in my Four Star and while it flew the model well, it had very little in reserve. So I put in a Saito 100 in an OS mount (the 100 fits the OS 91 Surpass mount) and have never looked back. That is it in the little pic at the side though when that photo was taken, the 72 was doing the business.

If you want some thing a little exotic for a little more money, the British Laser engines are good value at the moment. They need no nitro and are of extremely high quality. I have just ordered a 100. Lots of torque and will swing a 16 x 6 which would more usually be seen on a 120.

Pictures:- The Four Star has a 72 Saito in this picture but now has a 100. The Big Stick has the ASP 52.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39452.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1241384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98949.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1241385  
Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

HiYa mate.  The Tiger 60 recommended engine range tops out at 4s 70.  I figured going up to the magnum 91 should be plenty of power.  You dont think the 100 is too much power?  Is there such a thing as too much power in RC?  And what is your opinion of the Saito Golden Knight series?   

Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Saito Golden Knight series is the black version of the regular Saito engine

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.