Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Bearing replacement for Saito .91

Old 08-02-2009, 09:53 AM
twitte1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing replacement for Saito .91

Has anyone done a thread about replacing the bearings in a .91 Saito? I have two engines I need to change.

I have never done this before and do not want to attempt with out some guidence.

Thank you in advance.

Trey

Old 08-02-2009, 09:58 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Bearing replacement for Saito .91

Go to Boca Bearing or Just Bearings web site. They have ample instructions on how to remove and replace bearings. Being a Saito, you will have to retime the engine because of removal of the valve train gears. You have to remove the gears to get the crankshaft out of the engine. So you have a remove and replace problem. Not hard to retime, Saito booklet that came with the engine has some infor and do a thread search here for more info. Also go to http://Saito-info.com It to has good information. Also read Hobbsy (spelling) writings on Saito Engines (also found here on RCUniverse at the top of the engine thread). http://saito-engines.info/

Cheers,

Chip

The IP address has changed
Old 08-02-2009, 03:02 PM
airbusdrvr

I could not get the Saito-Info link to open. Oh, WCMorrison, back in the early eighties I lived just north of the Lake Weatherford dam on Vista Dr.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:13 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Just make two marks...one on each gear to preserve the timing.

Put one mark on the cam gear..in the middle of a tooth, then put a mark on the crankshaft gear...in the valley where the cam tooth you marked is.

Once you have everything apart, tap the crankshaft through the ass end of the engine using a brass hammer, or a piece of wood and a regular hammer. Get a thick leather glove, and a propane torch. Heat the crankcase up underneath where the rear bearing is. Not crazy hot...but enough to thoroughly heat it up. Pick it up with your glove, and then smack the ass end of the case against a 2x4 or some other piece of wood. Once it's outta the way, pop the front bearing out with a punch pin.

Press the new bearing onto the crank...use the crank as a guide to carefully put the new bearing into the case bore. Don't force anything whatever you do. If it's not working out, walk away for a while....and try again later.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:50 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The mark that is already on the cam gear goes straight down when the crankshaft is at top dead center

Valve lash is .002" to .004"

http://saito-engines.info/