Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

ASP FS61FSAR Four Stroke Glow Engine

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

ASP FS61FSAR Four Stroke Glow Engine

Old 08-07-2009, 06:25 AM
The Raven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASP FS61FSAR Four Stroke Glow Engine

ORIGINAL: Kostas1

Are they the same?
hows' the quality & dependability of ASP in comparison with OS?

Do you have any pics of the ASP?
I'm in Australia so prices etc may vary but in my mind an ASP comes in at half the price of an OS with maybe a 5% trade off in power.

Now.....how you determine power is another story. My opinion is that OS 4 strokes make more peak power (at WOT) but the ASP has more torque down low. It's not a massive difference but the OS will generally outpace the ASP by a small margin. Once again, 95% of the OS output for 50% of the OS price.....
Old 08-07-2009, 07:20 AM
haroldpo6
My Feedback: (10)

Sweet engine. I run a 12x6 APC on a 40 size Cloud Dancer. Couldn't get any better. Engine is about 8 yrs old.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:45 AM
The Raven

APC 12x6 and 12x7 for my current aircraft, noting one engine is still running in.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kostas,
Go for it with the ASP. If all you can get is Cool Power[], add two ounces of Castor oil and go fly. Make your self an engine stand, install OS F or a YS plug, and run it in with a few tanks of fuel. Install in plane and go fly.
I purchased my NIB .61 RFS as a package deal with a NIB 1.60 Twin for $450.00 at a swap meet from a Magnum Dealer years ago. I put together a Senior Kadet for my 9yr old daughter useing the .61. I removed one Head Gasket to see if there was more power than the 10,700 available, and it spun a APC 13x4W @ 11,200 rpm. The removing of one of the two gaskets added 500 rpm.
I ran it on 15% WC Extra premium 18% oil 80/20.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Pippin

...hihi, I checked the screws after every day at the flying field because of the great reputation of these Chinese engines. Should I have checked them after every flight...

Apart from the mentioned flaws I did not mention the muffler nuts that were just junk. The guy who cut them was drunk I guess. I had to order new ones. Great, I got my engine on Saturday, thus no Sunday runing in).

I got my engine from the English dealer mentioned above. I would buy another engine from them again but not an ASP 61FS (I know, ASP engine is from China).

Next, the engine started easily. Not to much power. Anyway. Paying 100Euros or so did not make me happy. I rather pay a bit more and get an O.S. or Saito engine. Actually, Conrad and others list the engine for around 139Euros. For only some Euros more I would buy a Saito 56. As said, the 61FS was a test buy... I had used Enya FS before a longer break in RC flying.

And no joke, after the ASP I bought a TT75FS. What a difference. This engines even makes it into Japanese hobby shops, next to the RCV engines made by Sanye too. They even sell them at a similar price as O.S.

My buddy and I were testig a O.S. 30FS vs. an ASP,Magnum 30FS in Hyperion Hayates. The ASP, Magnum could not turn a APC 10x6 as the O.S. did. Even a 10x5 was to much. The engine overheated in flight in trying to keep pace wich the O.S.
Thus, wast of money again. The O.S. 30 caused elevator flutter, the ASP, Magnum only yawning and a forced landing.

Here is a vid showing my ex ASP 61FS in flight (its the green Saab B17 Stuka) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkmTjKgyArc

Last, I just saving my pocket money to buy a ASP 400 radial. An inveterate optimist.

Kostas1,
I going to post some pics after the 10th of August.

Asmund, I now you reall like ASP engines. After reading your post about the ASP 180 FS I almost wanted one too. But now, the 400 is on the list. Maybe, the 180 is a newer and improved engine.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Pippin

Ops, here is my ASP 61FS powered SAAB B17 again playing the target for a Ky Hein.

Do mot mind the music. I did not make the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3SYDpwxlQc
Old 08-07-2009, 10:59 AM
asmund

Hmm, Pippin. You seem to have bad luck with your ASP/magnums, everyone else in here are very happy it seems. I actually had the .30 fs too (sold it with a .20 size trainer) My .30 was absolutely great and flies on today, it swung 9-6, 10-5 and also 10-6 with ease. The 10-6 should be saved until the engine is well broken in, that is a well known fact, or else it will overheat.

Also you are paying way too much for your engines. I order them from Hobbycity and other Hong Kong shops for faaaar less than any European or US shop.

The one engine I have had the most trouble with was actually my YS 110, it was repaired twice and finally replaced by warranty. Are YS bad engines? I really don`t think so
Old 08-07-2009, 08:57 PM
faulknej
My Feedback: (9)

Here's a stock pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26250.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1252051  
Old 08-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Pippin

Here is a real world pic of the engine.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Pippin

ops, here it is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77546.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1254777  
Old 02-22-2016, 01:14 PM
coleboom

I just recently bought a couple of ASP .61s. I have os, Saito and Enya. I like the ASP a LOT!

Why?

Because after realizing I can replace the engine in my Stihl Chainsaw for half the cost of an OS or Saito I realized something

The Japanese are screwing us on these engines. PERIOD

there is just not that much to these things.. It is not a mystery how to make a little 4 stroke engine, It has been being done for a long time now

I am happy that the ASP engines are great and will be buying them instead of OS or Saito whenever I can get the right size/stroke for the job

GO ASP If OS or Saito was say 20% more I would probably opt for better percieved quality... but at this price Hell no
Old 02-22-2016, 02:47 PM
jeffie8696

My experience with ASP/Magnum engines has been mixed. I suggest buying new with a warranty because of the problems I have experienced. However my Mag 52 four stroke (after the first one getting sent back and replaced because it was horrible) turned into a decent runner after about a gallon.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

Although all of my Magnum and ASP engines run well a few have metallurgy issues. A couple have soft aluminum castings with cracked carb throats where the carb is inserted into the case. On another the needle valve broke off when closing it, it didn't take much, I figure the metal was too hard. The only engines with issues are a couple of old Fox's with broke mufflers, and one with a bad carb. I had an issue with an OS I used to own, bad bearings. No issues with others except from crash's or just plain worn out.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:59 PM
the pope

Yep I agree on the soft alloy . Took a couple of stripped threads before I woke up to that issue . A shame really but not a deal breaker . I like their 4st the best but with the price climbing it looks like no more for me not that I need anymore anyway . Cheers