Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

FAI fuel

Old 08-15-2009, 10:58 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FAI fuel

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

By the way...it has its own oil supply in crankcase that has cooling fins and a magnetic drain plug. Capt,n
The magnetic plug is a very good idea. Having been around turbines a long time ago, I would check the plug after every flight.

the moderators don't like it when I use the term 'spoiled brats'...
That's because the use of it is unfairly insulting to a specific group of members, and is something that motivates people to argue.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:14 PM
jeffie8696

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walther Ethanol works with glow engines too. It may need a little hotter plug but Iunderstand some acetone also gives it a little extra kick. Ihave mixed E85 car fuel with castor and made acceptable glow engine fuel.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Walther
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that ethanol would not keep the glow plug going?
Old 08-18-2009, 09:14 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Walther

One more question, would there be something that we could add to Ethanol to make it work with a glow plug?
You could add about 50% methanol (Alky)....or even more!!!! Capt,n P.S. I used spell Check
Old 08-18-2009, 09:23 AM
jeffie8696

Methanol may be superior but ethanol is much cheaper where Iam.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:50 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

Methanol may be superior but ethanol is much cheaper where I am.
If you find a speed shop...the price should be $2.50 or even les for top grade alky. Capt,n
Old 08-18-2009, 07:53 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Last week E-85 was $2.25 near my house at the gas station.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:12 PM
jeffie8696

Only about $1.78 here
Old 08-19-2009, 01:01 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Methanol may be superior but ethanol is much cheaper where I am.

Which glow plugs have you found best when burning your E85 and lubricant mixture, Jeffie? Please talk a bit about the running characteristics, such as how the engine idles, throttles up from idle and how much of a percentage of normal full power you obtain when you are burning methanol and say 0 or 5% nitromethane. Inquiring minds want to know. TIA

I can't seem to make it the 15 miles south of me (Dalton, GA) where I can pick up some E85 fuel for testing. Though I am heading in that direction and will get there eventually - I hope.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 PM
jeffie8696

Looking through my notes Ihave used a 20% castor to E85 mix. Iam a big fan or Merlin plugs and his 2009 plug is pretty hot. As is his 2010 4 stroker. Iwill try to get out today and hook up one of my mules for a test run. I remember as long as the engine was well tuned the E85 worked fine in the idle and transition too.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:24 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Looking through my notes I have used a 20% castor to E85 mix. I am a big fan or Merlin plugs and his 2009 plug is pretty hot. As is his 2010 4 stroker. I will try to get out today and hook up one of my mules for a test run. I remember as long as the engine was well tuned the E85 worked fine in the idle and transition too.

Fantastic! Let us know what new things you discover.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 PM
mk1spitfire

can methalted spirits be used as a glow fuel?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:27 PM
jeffie8696

Looks like tornados are going to prevent me from doing any testing today.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:48 PM
downunder

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire
can methalted spirits be used as a glow fuel?
Metho is mainly ethanol with methanol added to make it undrinkable so if E85 works then this will. My bottle of metho is 95% ethanol but I only use it for cleaning purposes because it's way more expensive than methanol even in a 4 litre container.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:25 PM
rinkhals01

Wow people this is very interesting, especially the bit about acetone as an additive instead of nitro, but how does the acetone effect the "O-rings" as it is quite an aggressive compound? Well here's something else to throw in the mix( yes pun intended).... I have seen OSG5 glow plugs as advertised to be successfully used with lead-free petrol ( aka gasolene to our American cousins) and then we could used a normal run-of-the-mill 2stroke oil at much lower ratios...Any comments on this?
Old 06-12-2017, 05:42 PM
aspeed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old thread, welcome to the forum. The biggest cost of fuel is the oil, and nitro of course. Using gas with with conventional 2 stroke oil will burn out most rod bushings unless there are roller bearings on the rod. The Norvel uses a Turbo extra hot plug to run on gasoline, but still uses a high castor oil for lube. It has mixed reviews.You can do a search of it.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:46 PM
KEITHW
My Feedback: (2)

I make my own fuel. Moki 80% methanol and 20% Klotz no nitro. Big super tigres 90% methanol 10% Klotz no nitro. Smaller Super Tigers 5 to 15 % nitro glow fuel the rest oil. It will work.
Good Luck in your flights
KEITHW
Old 11-01-2018, 01:45 PM
lz-23

I have been running all my engines all my life with 0 nitro always only castor.
Have some collection of engines and used most of them for cl and rc models in past 40+ years.
I have almost all sizes os la (010, 015, 025, 040), and they all run very well on 0 nitro 20% castor. It may be a bit less power compared to nitro, but powerful enough for regular sport flying.
Only engine i have that was really picky on needle was thunder tiger gp 07. Literally few clicks from rich to lean. But never one click only. I even used cox 1/2a with 0 nitro without problems and have no complains from them, regardless of common claim that this small engines need nitro. For sake of experiment one of my fellows loan me a bottle of 15% nitro fuel to try what is the difference. We did not tach them, but in real flight conditions there was no difference that we found between 0 and 15%.
I assume that if we measure the rpm there would have been some difference, but i don't believe would have be that important.
Beside no one have mentioned the side effect of nitro on engines - rusting on inside pretty quickly....
With 0 nitro i don't need to use nay after treatment.
Beside carbon deposit i s easy to clean if you maintain your engines properly anyway.
Only thing more i need on the field is spry bottle with my favorite degreaser to clean up my planes after flights.
Not big deal if you have been doing it for few decades.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:45 PM
ffkiwi

Originally Posted by rinkhals01 View Post
Wow people this is very interesting, especially the bit about acetone as an additive instead of nitro, but how does the acetone effect the "O-rings" as it is quite an aggressive compound? Well here's something else to throw in the mix( yes pun intended).... I have seen OSG5 glow plugs as advertised to be successfully used with lead-free petrol ( aka gasolene to our American cousins) and then we could used a normal run-of-the-mill 2stroke oil at much lower ratios...Any comments on this?
I don't know where you get the idea from that simply using gasoline would allow you to reduce the oil content-there is no logical reason for this to be the case-the oil % used in model engines are a function of the engine construction, operating clearances, the individual metallurgy and the actual operating temperatures-and petrol runs a lot hotter than methanol-or any other alcohol based fuel component-which is why aircooled petrol engines have a lot more fin area than typical methanol ones....plus an element of safety % added for the tone deaf charlies who persist in tweaking needles too lean. In practice of course-that can mean oil %s of anything from 5% up to 25% or so depending on the factors above. Changing from one fuel component to another should not affect the lube requirements-other than the operating temperature will certainly change-probably for the worse (hotter) which might generate additional issues in terms of both carburettion and most certainly cooling-in a cowled situation....

ChrisM
' ffkiwi'
Old 11-02-2018, 05:29 AM
aspeed

Lz 23. Your Thunder Tiger .07 being picky on the fuel is the nature of the beast, not the fuel. They all have a quality control flaw with the crankshaft to case fit and other air leaks. Unrelated, there is a Norvel .40 that runs on a gasoline mix and a turbo plug. The testing by the Russians led to using castor oil being used and left to sit over night to dissolve. They used a fairly high ratio close to 20%. I don't remember exactly. Anything much lower would require ball or needle bearings on the rod. I think that the E85 shows some promise, but in Canada it is unobtanium. I can duck across the border for it though, if I have to I guess.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:55 AM
KCLC

Default I see this is an old thread, E85?

Now in 2020, glow fuel is getting to be a problem. I mixed my first batch of glow fuel last year. I purchased a case of 0 nitro years ago from FOX, when Nitro was short supply. I didn't seem to have any problems with my sport engines. So I mixed up some castor/methanol and have been using it with out looking back. Now that glow fuel mfg. are going out of business this could be critical. Here in the midwest a 5 gallon can of methanol is going for $100 and looks like it will go up.
Its interesting to read about E85 being used as a substitute. Here in Kansas City E85 is available, you may have to drive a few miles to find a gas station that has it, but you will pay about $2.50 a gallon. So Ill have to buy some and make my own experiment. unless someone has already done the leg work for me. Any feed back would be most welcome.
Thanks
Old 09-29-2020, 10:20 AM
aspeed

You may want to look a bit harder for methanol or methyl hydrate. I can get it here for about $11 Canadian $ per gallon. You should be able to get it cheaper in the US Look near the paint thinners at the hardware store. I usually get single gallons so it is fresh.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:32 PM
ffkiwi

You are being utterly screwed re methanol...it is a common solvent, produced in vast quantities and in widespread use for anything from chemical synthesis, engine fuel, bio fuel manufacture, general engineering and industrial processes. You should be able to pick it up way cheaper than that...I would look at industrial solvent suppliers in the first instance-and then perhaps racing motorcycle outlets or racetracks-these guys go through it big time and will buy in bulk. Price-especially chemicals-is vastly impacted by the degree of purity needed by the customer (my professional background in is science-chemistry and biochemistry-so I've often needed to work at the top end of the purity range)-but for model engine use you can go well down the scale. About the only thing to watch for is water-which you should know (I hope!) methanol is prone to attracting...the very cheapest grade (often 'recovered' from previous use) might be a bit wet (you could ask to see a spec sheet) but generally 'industrial' or 'general solvent' grade is adequate for our usage...we' re just burning it after all, not making pharmaceuticals with it...

Obviously with me being located in NZ our local prices here would be meaningless to you-but given the size of NZ to the US, I doubt very much that our prices are cheaper-indeed the very opposite-and the last time I purchased methanol it was a 20 litre plastic drum, and I paid under NZ $100 for it...$90 was the figure I recall (but I don't recall whether than was inclusive or exclusive of freight)-and doing the conversion that works out at NZ 17.10 a US gallon....or in US $ terms about $11 a US gallon.....and this was purchased thru model shop supply chain-so was by no means the cheapest option I could have found...(I was in a hurry and it was local...)

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 09-29-2020, 03:12 PM
KCLC

Default FAI fuel/methanol

Oh I know it. the hundred dollars per 5 gallon includes a $35 hazmat fee and $ 20 shipping fee. But even in our big box lumber yards, it is about $ 30 dollars a gallon for 1 gallon containers. If we buy in 55 gallon cans it is cheaper, about $ 12 /gallon, but who can manage a barrel of fuel.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:47 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I buy methanol for around $3.50/gal from a semi-local oil company. They sell some race fuels and methanol in addition to regular pump gas and E85. The station is around 40 minutes from my home one-way. I started getting methanol from a chemical supplier, but I was paying close to $10/gal from them. I’d gotten two buckets of methanol from the chemical supplier - both ran fine, but the second one had a blue tinge to the methanol. The first one didn’t have any color.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.