Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 55AX problems

Old 09-10-2023, 11:36 AM

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Fair enough. I have read some of Dave’s articles, but I do not agree with several things in his article you posted. I subscribe to Dub Jett’s process time and time again, and also the information provided by Adrian Duncan. Those two guys know the know.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For the OCD / X Military Folks: Is there a torque spec for the glow plug?

I have two issues I'm working on: I would like to know if there is a torque spec for the glow plugs we use on our Glow engines. Yeah, I know most will tell me "nobody uses a Torque Wrench; only go by "feel". My answer to that is "feel" is too subjective and could result in a lack of performance if the plug is too loose. I've been in this hobby since 1973 and always wondered exactly how tight to tighten a 5/16" glow plug, so I always went by "feel". BTW, I ask this question now because I'm going to give the OS F Type plug a try in my OS 55 AX Engine because it doesn't seem to run smooth while transitioning through the mid-range throttle area. Also, mine quit abruptly a couple of times when I tried to richen up the needle setting, which is really weird! It may also be that I'm only using 5% Omega Fuel, but the engine is "supposed" to run on it. Yes, it's the Caster Oil mix type (Pink). I only by good fuel. FYI, I'm using the 5% fuel because I have some very old 1972 Vintage OS H60F Engines that are supposed to use nothing higher than 5% nitro fuel, so that's what I buy. The older H60F Engines run great and never quit on me like the 55 AX does.

Last edited by Crazy Legs; 04-08-2024 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:21 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I pretty much had the same problem with my OS 61fx. so over the years since I have thought about it many times. the first thing I would do right-now is change the O-Ring that seals the carb to the case. please do. you do not know what that used O-Ring does when it gets hot from flying use.

get back to us.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine did this quitting thing when it was brand new. It's always acted a bit weird. It actually starts up backwards occasionally, which I haven't experienced since my .049 days!! The engine is only 6 months old and has less than a half gallon of fuel gone through it. I didn't mention that if I don't adjust the mixture so it's rich the engine won't quit. It's just that the way I set a needle is to max out the RPM and then back the needle off a bit so it runs a little rich. When I tried that with this engine that's when it would abruptly quit. I had used this engine on a Hanger 9 Ultra-Stick 60 airplane as my test bed for this engine and it ran very well on that airplane and never gave me a dead stick landing. However, again, I wouldn't set the needle rich because I knew what would happen. Once I found the sweet spot in adjusting the needle valve I would just leave it there. So when I had it on the Ultra-stick 60 for three months I never would adjust the needle valve again once I had it set.
If there's a possibility that the seal between the Carburetor and the Crankcase is leaking I can use Silicon RTV Sealant and create a bead all the way around the seam. The GE Silicone can stand the high temperature, so I'll try that.

Last edited by Crazy Legs; 04-08-2024 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Needed more detial
Old 04-10-2024, 06:48 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

OK. try an OS 6 or 7 plug. they should burn off a bit more fuel.
so what prop and its size ?