Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Starting procedure for Saito 125 w/ Cline regulator

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Starting procedure for Saito 125 w/ Cline regulator

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Juice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting procedure for Saito 125 w/ Cline regulator

I have a Saito 125. I broke it in on a stand, adjusted the valves and run it again on the stand. Never flown. That was a few years ago. Today... it's installed in the airplane. The fuel system with a Cline regulator is going in tonight. This is my first time using a regulator. The plumbing seems straight forward and I don't foresee any problems.

My questions are...
1) How does the starting procedure change (if at all) with the Cline regulator installed?
2) Do I need to pressurize the tank before starting? If so, how?
3) I won't have access to the carb to choke it for priming. If this is the case, I would normally just plug the muffler with my finger instead and prime normally. Does this still apply with the Cline regulator installed?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Juice
Old 06-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Starting procedure for Saito 125 w/ Cline regulator

Juicer, if you can't choke it you can use a fuel bulb to pressurise the tank if you can get to the check valve at the muffler pressure tap. then about 1 second with a starter will fire it instantly. Did you get the check valve right at the pressure tap and the regulator body right at the carb fuel inlet? This will get you the most pressure and the most accurate reading of the fuel demand at the spraybar.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Juice

Thanks Hobbsy. Instead of a fuel bulb (which I don't own, yet) would it be sufficient to use my fuel pump to pump air into the overflow line to pressurize the tank.

So the procedure would go like this...
1. Unplug overflow line.
2. Unplug fill line.
3. Fill tank with fuel using fuel pump through the fill line.
4. Plug fill line.
5. Pressurize tank with air using fuel pump through overflow line.
6. Plug overflow line (without letting out the pressure).
7. Ingnite glow plug.
8. One second with starter to fire up engine.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these steps.

I will double check the check value when I install it tonight.

Thank,
Juice
Old 06-17-2010, 05:39 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I do mine kind of like you are saying. The difference is. Once the tank gets full and I plug the overflow and use fuel to build up a little pressure. Just be careful and hold the connection together. It does not take much pressure to blow the connection apart. Then your pump is pumping fuel on the out and your fill line is blowing fuel out of it. It makes quite a mess. Ask me how I know.
You can plug the muffler and and spin the engine to get some pressure. The fuel pump is just easier.

David
Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 PM
ianwynne

Hello:

Everyone else has given very useful information, however, nobody has mentioned refueling. Before opening up the overflow on the tank when refueling, do something to relieve the pressure inside first.

When refueling, I connect up the fuel line to the tank, pump some fuel ***out*** of the tank, to relieve the pressure, then open up the overflow.

I hope that helps.

Bye, Ian
Old 06-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Hobbsy

I place a tee in the pressure line between the check valve and the tank for the sole purpose of relieving the pressure and to serve as a vent while refueling. In reality you don't need to do anything except start the engine when using a starter. It just starts quicker when you put a little pressure in the tank first.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:53 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I apologize for the high jacking, but I have a Cline question too and this will avoid starting a new thread. I am a total noob when it comes to Clines, but not 4-strokes. I am in the process of installing one for the first time and don't know how to add the check valve. I hope I have all of the parts, but all I see is the tiny black check valve itself and no other housing or "holder" item.

The instructions of course just say to install it in the pressure line, brass end towards, engine, as close to the pressure tap as possible. My engine is a 4 stroke so there is no pressure tap, just the muffler pressure line to the tank. Does this little check valve just sit inside the fuel line like a stint inside an artery? Would it be just outside the plane near the muffler tap?

Since this is so small what does one do if it is lost? I know, don’t lose it to begin with……
Thanks!!!!
Garyss
Old 06-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Hobbsy

Gary, the muffler pressure tap is the pressure tap we're talking about,, just start the check valve into the line going to the tank vent and then push the line onto the tap pushing the check valve into the line. I always run a .050 ball driver through the check valve because on occasion the check valve is stuck shut. The check valve just sits inside like my 3 stents, good analogy. Getting the check valve close to the tap is the perfect place for it.

PS, I lost the little brass part of one of my Clines and at first though it was useless but I hacked a 3/16ths" long piece off of a piece of the small bronze fuel tube you push through the fuel tank bung and pushed it in behind the checkvalve, it works perfectly.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Juice

GarySS... This picture may help you. I'm using a flex pipe instead of a muffler, so I had to tap a nipple on the 90-degree header. You can see the check valve in the line near the nipple/header.

Juice
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40177.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1456328  
Old 06-22-2010, 06:18 AM
GarySS

Amazing! Thanks for the info Hobbsy and Juice. Just curious, would a YS pressure value or a Foremost brand one-way value also work in the muffler line......seems like they should. Also I was looking through some old magazines and say a Cermark Pitts with a Cline system and an on-board glow driver. The glow driver seems unneccessary????
Thanks,
GarySS
Old 06-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Hobbsy

Gary the YS has a silicon flap in it and would probably be fine, I don't know if the internals of the Foremost could handle exhaust temps or not.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/one_way_v...QueryId=711071 This one from Hobby-Lobby is not as compact as the others but works well. Its all metal except for the gasket, occasionally the ball rusts a little but it keeps on working.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Juice

I have a follow-up question for Saito 1.25 owners...

When the carburetor arm is pushed forward, is that idle? When the carburetor arm is pulled back, is that full throttle?

I ask this very stupid question because my engine is installed and cowled in a way where I can't see the carburetor opening. In the pic, you can see the throttle push-rod and carburetor (blurry) behind the hanging tubes and wire.

Thanks for you help (and please forgive my laziness )

Juice
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40604.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1462005  
Old 07-02-2010, 10:51 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

When you move the arm on the carb your also moving the throttle barrel. As the throttle barrel rotates it also moves in and out. When it moves out it is opening the throttle and when it moves in it is closing the throttle. Think of it in this way and no matter if the throttle arm in on the left or right or on top on on bottom you can tell if the carb/throttle barrel is opening or closing. Hope this helps.
Fred
Old 07-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Ernie Misner

Priming by putting your finger over the exhaust and then flipping the engine or using the electric starter can be kind of hard tortionally on the air frame. Here's a way to do it on the 4-strokes that is real simple and easy with no fuss or strain.

Turn the engine backwards until it begins to come up onto compression.

Put your finger over the exhaust and turn the engine forwards until it comes to compression.

Remove finger from exhaust and turn engine backwards until it comes to compression.

REPEAT that a couple of times and you have a primed engine. Do open the throttle fully to begin with though.

Ernie
Old 07-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Juice

Fred and Earnie... Both good tips. Thank you very much.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:57 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was at the flying field all day yesterday.

There was a guy that showed up around noon that had a Saito 72 on a old Morris Hobbies profile. It had a Cline regulator hook up using a check valve on muffler pressure. He started it with the small Hobbico starter and didn't seem to do anything special other than the finger over the exhaust and a few hand flips to pressurize the tank.

The engine run seemed normal. Very consistant during his 3D flights.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Hobbsy

Jim, that may be biggest selling point of the Cline is that consistant run due to not having to set it overly rich at the beginning of the flight so it won't be lean at the end of the flight. In my opinion 200 rpm rich of peak is rich enough for safe flying when using the Cline especially if you have fuel with a good lube package. Geri saw I was replying to you and says Hello and Happy 4th to you and Sally. A whole bunch of neighbors invited themselves over tomorrow, they're bringing all the food. Great neighbors.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:59 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope you guys have a good Fourth. Tell Geri I said hello.

Our Fourth of July get together fell through as several of Sally's kids have to work and her oldest daughter is spending to week end up at Lake Erie on their 30' Thompson.

So we are going to enjoy the week end just me and her.

Was flying all day yesterday. Miss judge distance and hung my Ultra Stick 40 with the Saito 62 in a small cottonwood. Was like being in the jungle to get to the tree which was only 30' from the grass field. Broke the APC 13-6 prop but didn't stop the engine. I had to shut the engine off with the transmitter. I flew the plane four more times that day with a APC 13 X 4W. Was running Wildcat 20-20 fuel. I have my dose of the sun for the next couple of days.

That Saito 72 with the Cline was a start and fly affair. Everything very consistant. He was using a MAS 13 X 6.

Jim
Old 07-14-2010, 05:26 PM
mrwad
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Juice !

Was wondering how your Cline Pumped worked out for you ?? I am about to shell out the money for one to be used in a Clipped Wing Cub. The engine is a OS 82 inverted. Cannot get this engine to idle or run very well upside down !!!!!
They aren't cheap.....Is it working for you ?? You opinion would be of value on this subject.

Thanks, Don
Old 07-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Juice

Don,

I haven't been able to get enough free time to fly lately. When I do run the engine, I'll let you know.

But I'm sure others will share their experience with the Cline regulator.

Josh
Old 07-14-2010, 07:24 PM
mrwad

Thanks Josh, For the reply. Anyone else care to comment ? Does anyone have enough experience with one of these to recomend it ?

Thanks, Don
Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 AM
GarySS

I've had two outings with my UltraStick 1.20 lite and an OS 2.00 mounted inverted. I have the Cline installed per instructions with some Great Planes fuel line clips on every "joint" for insurance. I have had only 4 flights, but no problems starting it (Dynatron!) and running it. No fuel leaks out anywhere, but you have to be careful as the system is pressurized. There have been no dead sticks even though the engine has gotten so slow it has thumped along temporarily while I taxi back to the pits. I am using a 20 oz tank with the center line pretty much lined up with the carb, but I wanted some insurance, hence the Cline. I don't know if I really required it, but so far so good.

Previously I had a Saito 1.00 on the Stick and after 6 flights incurred lots of fuel all over the place and poor running. Maybe the tank shifted, but I will eventually put the 1.00 back on with the Cline

I am considering eventually purchasing two more Clines if they are still being sold.

I would also be curious about other's experience.... tips, etc.
Garyss
Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Ernie Misner

You had the Saito 100 on the big Stick?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 PM
GarySS

Yes, first a YS 1.10, then a Saito 1.00, and now an OS 2.00. The Saito flew it quite well for about 6 flights then things went to h....ell. I may have shifted the tank upwards by mistake, but didn't track it down. Now I am breaking in the OS and then a Saito 1.50 before going back to the 1.00.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:20 AM
mrwad

Hi all,
I was able to pick up a Cline Rgulator on Ebay today........I'll have it next week and will post my experience installing it in my 1/5 Cub.

Don