Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

MVVS 21's

Old 08-01-2010, 05:32 PM
kakariki
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MVVS 21's

Hi All
Does anyone have MVVS 21's and what do they think of them.
Thanks Barry
Old 08-01-2010, 07:00 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: MVVS 21's

Hi

Its a very hot little motor. Once you set it up as a side exhaust or rear exhaust, you cant change. Stock pipe is loud, very loud. Be prepared for the looks you are going to get when you start it up. Mine ran very good. Depends on your choice of planes.

Vince
Old 08-01-2010, 07:27 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that on the mini pipe they are loud. I used mine for 12 th scale combat and I just loved being the fastest kid on the block.

They can take a while to run in, don't expect to run a tank at half thottle on the ground and get a sweet engine. Once they are run in they even idle well with good transition and it is a big hole down the carb.

Anything more than 10 % nitro and I needed to add a head shim.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20871.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1476647  
Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 1/12 scale combat I ran mine with 2% nitro only. The black muffler with added mousse can aftermuffler takes away all high pitched noise without power loss. When properly setup, fastest or second fastest starter on the grid. (electric fliers with catapults are faster)
What is a proper setup?
Three line tank.
One line for filling (has filter), plugged in flight
felt clunk pickup, straight to carb. (or sinter clunk)
one line from muffler to tank. needs to end neitherin bottom nor top of muffler, so it will not pick up oil.
Clean fuel needle bar!!!!!!! This is the item most forget!!!! Clean muffler connection!
I start and clear the engines throat, warm it up a little, check carb setting for the day.
put the glow plug cap back on, switch of the power box.
Putthe plane on support, nose up 15°, throttle 1/3rd open. Then wait for the rest of the pilots to go through their routines.
On start, run to the plane, switch onpower box, tap the E-starter on the spinner, unplug glow cap, grasp plane just behind the engine, applythrottle and low hand shove-off while engine responds to throttle! Works every time, average Le Mans start time from whistle to on the wing about 7 seconds.
I can tell, the other pilots did not like my liitle MVVS at all.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:42 PM
asmund

Mvvs are great engines, I have two, one 26 cc gasser and the .49 glow. These engines are of such fantastic quality that you feel it immediately once you see it and hold it in your hands. There are not many others similarly sized engines that can compare to the power they put out either.
Go and get it
Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 AM
j.duncker

Hey Pe did I fly against you at the Eurocup held on at Rechlin-Lärz Airfield a few years ago.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 PM
pe reivers

I was still an active combat pilot at the time, but did not attend. My eye sight was rapidly declining due to catarract, and I did not like to compete without al least raising some serious dust. You may remember Ton Goede and Frans Deckers though.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:00 PM
j.duncker

Pe I remember a fast Dutch guy with a MVVS and another who flew beautifully built P47s.

Using the MVVS 21 in the UK was controversial due to the noise level and the way it unloaded in the air but I just loved being able to go vertical and leave everybody for dust.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:39 PM
pe reivers

Somehow, MVVS always was blamed for something! One day, we had a discussion at a contest about their noise. I asked:"what about that?" The official said:"they are too loud!, Good thing is there were no MVVS about today"
So I told the poor soul: "Care to look at MY engine? It's an MVVS, and you even have not noticed it was there? Why blame MVVS whilst it is the pilot who should be blamed?"

I got tired of fighting this battle. Let them simmer on a low fire, and be done with it. Noise issues is pilot error. Or better maybe: "pilot ignorance?"
so let's work on that!
Rules prohibit anything but a standard muffler. MVVS does not have a standard muffler. So what now? Rules prohibit a tuned pipe! MVVS has a small muffler that comes on song at about 17,000 rpm; a noisy device if I may say so, but is is a "standard" side dump muffler. MVVS also offers a "sort of" mousse can device, known as the black tuned muffler. DANG! TUNED! oops, it's a muffler, not a pipe? OR IS IT? Nobody seems to know the difference between a tuned pipe and a muffler, which is much like an occarino, so tuned as well!
These kind of rules, not weighted down by the burden of knowledge, are choking the sport to death! One of the main causes for MVVS to close the door for the little mighty one.
RIP
Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 PM
kakariki
My Feedback: (6)

Hi
Just wondering, I might have to run mine inverted in the plane I'm lloking at, do they run ok upside down, and do I have to put the tank at any special height.
Thanks Barry
Old 08-04-2010, 07:23 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Tank must always be placed according to the "tank rule"!