Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Help With Saito FA-65

Old 08-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Homer712
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Saito FA-65

<meta content="" name="Title"><meta content="" name="Keywords"><meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type"><meta content="Word.Document" name="ProgId"><meta content="Microsoft Word 2008" name="Generator"><meta content="Microsoft Word 2008" name="Originator">
<meta content="" name="Title"><meta content="" name="Keywords"><meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type"><meta content="Word.Document" name="ProgId"><meta content="Microsoft Word 2008" name="Generator"><meta content="Microsoft Word 2008" name="Originator"><link href="file://localhost/Users/margehomer/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0clip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List" /> <xml><o:documentproperties><o:template></o:template></o:documentproperties></xml><xml><w:worddocument><w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext></w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext><w:compatibility><w:breakwrappedtables></w:breakwrappedtables><w:dontgrowautofit></w:dontgrowautofit><w:dontautofitconstrainedtables></w:dontautofitconstrainedtables><w:dontvertalignintxbx></w:dontvertalignintxbx></w:compatibility></w:worddocument></xml><xml><w:latentstyles deflockedstate="false" latentstylecount="276"></w:latentstyles></xml> <style type="text/css"></style> <style type="text/css"> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}</style><xml><o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"></o:shapedefaults></xml><xml></xml></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta>
Old 08-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Homer712

Default RE: Help With Saito FA-65

OK, right up front, I had my first 4-cycle way back in the late 1970's. Took me this long to get over that experience. They were not all that well developed back then so I'm sure it was part me, part engine. Fast forward to 2010. I was looking around the RCU classified for a few months until I found a used Saito FA-65. The guy I bought it from was upfront about the engine. Not his, purchased as part of a garage sale, he knew the guy who owned it, said he took care of his equipment and that although it felt a little stiff from sitting around, it should run well once lubricated once again.

Downloaded the Saito manual and followed the instructions on starting. Nothing. Found that when I held my finger over the carb while starting with an electric starter I could get it to fire but it would die almost immediately. Although the Saito manual states that these engines no longer have chokes, there is a black thin plate that can be slid back a forth over the carburetor air intake. By sliding this plate a bit to cover the air intake a bit I can get the engine to run for maybe 15 seconds. Then it dies again and I have to reprime it.

I know it's almost impossible to trouble shoot things like this via long distance, based solely on my description of events, but I'm just looking for some helpful hints from those who have far more experience with these than I do.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 AM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

What would you do to a two stroke in this condition? Sounds lean.
Clean out the carb and needle assembly.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Homer712

<meta content='''' name=''Title''><meta content='''' name=''Keywords''><meta content=''text/html; charset=utf-8'' http-equiv=''Content-Type''><meta content=''Word.Document'' name=''ProgId''><meta content=''Microsoft Word 2008'' name=''Generator''><meta content=''Microsoft Word 2008'' name=''Originator''>
<meta content='''' name=''Title''><meta content='''' name=''Keywords''><meta content=''text/html; charset=utf-8'' http-equiv=''Content-Type''><meta content=''Word.Document'' name=''ProgId''><meta content=''Microsoft Word 2008'' name=''Generator''><meta content=''Microsoft Word 2008'' name=''Originator''><link href=''file://localhost/Users/margehomer/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0clip_filelist.xml'' rel=''File-List'' /> <xml><o:documentproperties><o:template></o:template></o:documentproperties></xml><xml><w:worddocument><w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext></w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext><w:compatibility><w:breakwrappedtables></w:breakwrappedtables><w:dontgrowautofit></w:dontgrowautofit><w:dontautofitconstrainedtables></w:dontautofitconstrainedtables><w:dontvertalignintxbx></w:dontvertalignintxbx></w:compatibility></w:worddocument></xml><xml><w:latentstyles deflockedstate=''false'' latentstylecount=''276''></w:latentstyles></xml> <style type=''text/css''></style> <style type=''text/css''> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:''Table Normal'';mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:'''';mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:''Times New Roman'';mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-fareast-font-family:''Times New Roman'';mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}</style><xml><o:shapedefaults v:ext=''edit'' spidmax=''1026''></o:shapedefaults></xml><xml></xml></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta>

????????????
Old 08-02-2010, 11:45 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Homer712

<meta content='''' name=''Title''><meta content='''' name=''Keywords''><meta content=''text/html; charset=utf-8'' http-equiv=''Content-Type''><meta content=''Word.Document'' name=''ProgId''><meta content=''Microsoft Word 2008'' name=''Generator''><meta content=''Microsoft Word 2008'' name=''Originator''>
<meta content='''' name=''Title''><meta content='''' name=''Keywords''><meta content=''text/html; charset=utf-8'' http-equiv=''Content-Type''><meta content=''Word.Document'' name=''ProgId''><meta content=''Microsoft Word 2008'' name=''Generator''><meta content=''Microsoft Word 2008'' name=''Originator''><link href=''file://localhost/Users/margehomer/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0clip_filelist.xml'' rel=''File-List'' /> <xml><o:documentproperties><o:template></o:template></o:documentproperties></xml><xml><w:worddocument><w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext></w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext><w:compatibility><w:breakwrappedtables></w:breakwrappedtables><w:dontgrowautofit></w:dontgrowautofit><w:dontautofitconstrainedtables></w:dontautofitconstrainedtables><w:dontvertalignintxbx></w:dontvertalignintxbx></w:compatibility></w:worddocument></xml><xml><w:latentstyles deflockedstate=''false'' latentstylecount=''276''></w:latentstyles></xml> <style type=''text/css''></style> <style type=''text/css''> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:''Table Normal'';mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:'''';mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:''Times New Roman'';mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-fareast-font-family:''Times New Roman'';mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}</style><xml><o:shapedefaults v:ext=''edit'' spidmax=''1026''></o:shapedefaults></xml><xml></xml></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta>

Uh, want to try that again?

Regards,

Richard
Old 08-02-2010, 12:20 PM
[email protected]

cant open your note love to help if I can but dont know what your problem is please get back to me Bob A

[email protected]
Old 08-02-2010, 12:24 PM
ericzombie

I'm relatively new to this, however it sounds like you're lean, as mentioned before, and the black thing that covers the carb is the cap to prime the engine when in cowl (it usually has a small piece that can be screwed down onto a small allen wrench so you can use the choke even when the engine is in a cowling so your finger can't access the carb).

Otherwise, it's back to engine basics it sounds like, checking fuel quality with another engine, checking glow plug quality and perhaps swapping plugs, making sure the high and low speed needles are properly trimmed in (I'd say according to the manual, however my low speed on my magnum 80 was too far off to make it usable, so I needed to have someone locally help me find the right spot to make it run), and if anything run the engine rich.

Also, if you're just re-learning 4 cycles, I would recommend making sure that you're using a fuel that has some castor oil in it. The guys at my field hate castor and swear by coolpower synthetic, however after reading numerous threads on here I've been adding 2oz of castor to my synthetic, and will continue doing so until I'm more familiar with how the engine runs, to ensure I don't lean it out too much and burn up the oil (synthetic burns at a lower temperature than castor, and loses lubrication properties before castor will).

Good luck, and I hope someone more knowledgeable than I can help you further!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM
ericzombie

Also, if this is what you're describing as the black thing, then it is just a choke for the carb, as explained (roughly) above.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Homer712

Actually, my engine is missing that completely. All it has is the flat sheet metal piece (shown just below the two washers) that slides back and forth over the carb air opening. In the manual it does show that the choke is "optional" so possibly it's OK and I should leave the carb air intake completely open and look for problems elsewhere.

[img]file:///Users/margehomer/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/img][img]file:///Users/margehomer/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.png[/img]
Old 08-02-2010, 03:36 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On my old Saito's with that slide device, I would remove it.

On my OS and Magnum engines, I also removed the previous device as pictured above