RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Have you been through Different Engine Periods? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/10537230-have-you-been-through-different-engine-periods.html)

mike109 05-23-2011 06:59 PM

Have you been through Different Engine Periods?

G'day Engine Lovers

Picasso went through a number of "periods" throughout his career. His Blue Period, His Rose Period and Cubism among others. I have realised that I have been doing something similar with my engine preferences over the years.

My Frog Period was brief but very important. I learned a lot about model engines at the age of about 10 when "the kid next door" turned up with a Frog 150. We had masses of fun starting it, tuning it, making fuel for it but never flying it. (We lost the contra piston. Don't ask.) It was then that I learned that model engines are fun to play with.

My OS Period came next. My first working engine - one that actually flew - was an OS 15 II bought about 1961 for $11.95 (but it was in Australian Pounds then). I flew it, crashed it, ran it lean, and generally abused it until I flogged it out. I still have a few bits. Next came an OS 19. Here was real power to haul my Peacemaker (Aldrich design) control line model around. At that point I stopped modelling because of school pressures etc.

Then came My Super Tigre Period. This started with a desire to get into control line racing events. I had a Taipan diesel but it was not strong enough and then I discovered Super Tigre G2015 Diesels. And then the G15 glow. These gave me a great respect for Super Tigre but before long fatherhood stopped my modeling again for a few years but when my son was 12 we both started into RC. And it had to be a Super Tigre G45. We had several and I loved them but one day someone offered me a cheap Saito 45GK and so began -

My Saito Period which is still going. The little 45 showed me just how nice and quiet and easy to handle four strokes are. I did buy some OS four strokes and I still have a few but mostly I have been buying Saitos until quite recently when I decided to buy something a little different and so began -

My Exotics Period. This is quite recent and may simply be an aberration but lately I have been buying Laser four strokes, a Jett SJ-46 and most recently some Enyas including a 41 4c diesel, a couple of SS40s and a new SS45(ring).

I like ALL my engines. I have never had an engine I did not like in some way. Even the ASP 61 four stroke which I have at present which runs OK but has a badly leaking exhaust valve. They all give me fun. But as you can see, my tastes have changed over time.

Has your taste in engines changed over time?

Mike in OZ

earlwb 05-23-2011 07:16 PM

RE: Have you been through Different Engine Periods?

I gravitate back and forth through different engine periods, glow, diesel, gasoline, Co2, steam, electric. Whatever happens to get my fancy from one weekend to the next.
:D

Hobbsy 05-23-2011 07:31 PM

At the present time I have a Snorer .55, several Fox', 4 Enyas, three 2 stroke one being a .25 Diesel and a .46MKII and .53TN, 8 Saitos, SuperTigres from an old G-21 .46, up through a 4500, 4 LAs with 3 converted to Diesel. My periods have been more in engine type than brand. For example I fly mostly fourstrokes and Diesels.

summerwind 05-23-2011 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: earlwb

I gravitate back and forth through different engine periods, glow, diesel, gasoline, Co2, steam, electric. Whatever happens to get my fancy from one weekend to the next.

pretty much the same as Earl:D........right now it's all Super Tigre

estradajae 05-23-2011 08:26 PM

I´m in four stroke period.... right now I actually don´t have much appetite on my two strokes.
I´m flying my thunder tiger f-75S..and my ASP 91.

If I´m going to buy an engine (don´t really need to !!) it would be a 4 stroke.

mike109 05-24-2011 01:38 AM

G'day everyone. I am glad to see most people do change over time. Back when I was using my original OS engines I could not conceive that any other engine could possibly be better. Then came the Super Tigres. But once I heard a four stroke I was hooked although initially I thought they sounded sort of congested. But I got over it

I still run a few two strokes but I am really in a four stroke period at the moment though my most recent engine is an Enya two stroke.

Anyway, so long as I have model engines to play wtih, I will be happy.

Cheers

Mike in Oz

PS I also have some electric motors. They are for using not for getting excited about.

bogbeagle 05-24-2011 01:52 AM

Went through a two-stroke glow period. Sold 'em all. Can't imagine that I'd ever buy another.

Then two-stroke petrol period. Sold 'em all. Can't imagine that I'd ever buy another.

Nowadays, four-stroke glow ... very occasionally leavened with four-stroke diesel. Have far too many engines. But, I may require more.

May even be entering a "no-engine-required-at-all" period, as am currently fascinated by gliding. Actually, this isn't quite true, because I'm also into aero-towing and I need my big beasts for that task. Problem is that I is smitten by my four-strokes and am loathe to part with them ... you never get their true value when you sell, do you? Best to use them and enjoy them; that way, you get the full value.

I guess that I'm all mixed-up.

Should that be, "I is smote by" ?

tiffitech 05-24-2011 03:01 AM

Someone owned a Wankel?

Regards,

Holm

buzzard bait 05-24-2011 04:47 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

Have far too many engines. But, I may require more.

I understand, bro, I understand!

Jim

asmund 05-24-2011 04:52 AM

I have lots of different engines and brands, both cheap and expensive ones. I can never settle for either two or fourstroke, must have both:) I have never owned a Saito or a Wankel and both is on my "want to buy" list:)

mike109 05-24-2011 04:58 AM

"Have far too many engines. But, I may require more." bogbeagle

Or as Roy Slaven and HG Nelson (famous fake sports commentators in Australia) might almost have said -

"When too many engines is barely enough!"

I can relate to that.

Mike

TFF 05-24-2011 07:20 AM

I am going through a period of I would rather have a nice used engine than a problem new engine. This is mainly about engines retailing on the high end and me trying to sub something else new and cheap. I do have a problem of I love engines, and a problem of buying engines I wanted as a kid.

jeffie8696 05-24-2011 07:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just have an "engine problem" .http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ey/msn/lol.gif

estradajae 05-24-2011 07:48 AM

Jeffie I could bear some of your problems....

jeffie8696 05-24-2011 08:10 AM

Move here and I will let you . http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif
There is no way Iwill ever move there. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../omg_smile.gif

estradajae 05-24-2011 08:19 AM

Here is always flying season!

donkey doctor 05-24-2011 08:49 AM

Hello; Yes, I went two-stroke at first (1991),

Then it was four strokes after that (1993- present)

Then along came electrics (2002-present)

Followed by Gas engines (2006 on)

Not to mention; float flying, helicopters, gliders, and fun fly type planes

Yes, It;s been great, alright.

Jezmo 05-24-2011 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

I just have an ''engine problem'' .[img][/img]

When my problem began to look like jeffie's and the wife started gritchin' about too many planes and engines I realized I had ADD. LOL From my point of view, Attention Deficit Disorder is not all bad. ;)

rcdude7 05-24-2011 02:44 PM

I started flying 1/2 a control line planes in the mid to late 70's when I was about 10yrs. This was the cox/testors period. I had lots of small cuts on my fingers and the engines were a bear to start and run, but I didn't know any better.....I was persistent.

Later, in my late teens? I had a little more money and got into 1/10 scale cars, OS .12 glow and electric. I discovered the joys of the sullivan electric starter!

I soloed my first plane in 1989, a kit built great planes "trainer 60" with a new supertigre S-61 abc, this is one powerful hoss engine, good even by todays standards.

Since my solo period I have had a little of everything, many OS surpass fourstrokes, a few Enya's .90-1.20, YS, saito, and on and on. My latest engines have been gassers, 25-33% planes powered by mainly zenoah and 3W, but I still fly glow too.

Also, in the last two years, I have been flying a flitestreak arf with a OS .25fp control line engine, it is a blast to fly, just like being a kid again,:D so I guess I have come full circle.

Changing my flying, control line, giant scale, glow, etc. keeps the hobby fresh for me, otherwise I would get burnt out on this.

Sam-E 05-24-2011 04:26 PM

Just be thankful your period cycle is not every 29 days!!!

Jezmo 05-24-2011 04:44 PM

That's good Sam! Real good

vicman 05-24-2011 04:45 PM

I started out with the OS phase too but more like in 2000 with the LA/FX series. Moving into a few four strokers but back to glow. I've also mixed in a good batch of 1/2a jobs only being satisfied with Cox engines. For the past few years I've been in racer mode with TT .40s, Jetts and Nelsons which I really love. As of late I'm also going the no power route which seems to be gaining momentum.

CustomPC 05-24-2011 05:17 PM

I've gone through several different phases throughout my modelling career, not just on Engines, but also for the types of models that grabbed my interested at the time.

Engine wise i've been through several phases a couple of times each.

2-stroke, 4-stroke, exotics such as Enya's and Webra's or Run-of-the-mill such as OS or Saito, and then there's the dark side (Electric).

I have a limited time/budget/space/permission for models so I keep my fleet culled down to what i am actually using which means I buy and sell a lot of engines on a whim.

I seem to always end up back with the mid range 4-strokes. These give me a level of reliability, consistency and ease of use i need when i can only afford a few hours at the flying field each month. OS used to be my preference, but all I have now is Saito .62 it's such a sweet little engine and much easier to live with than the OS .56a i owned in the past.

I am extremely curious by nature and am rarely satisfied by reading about a new engine. I have to try it for myself so on more than one occasion i have bought the engine with no airframe in mind and then spent weeks researching for a suitable model.

At the moment i'm in a but of a quandry. I need a new project to keep my mind and hands busy but don't know which way to turn. There's a bunch of new engines i want to play with like the OS .95V or 1.55a and I'd also like to try a DLE 20 gasser.

The issue i have is they all require largish models which i just don't have capacity for right now. Practicality is overtaking desirability so all my models are 32-46 size until the kids are old enough that i can take the baby seats out of the wagon and transport some larger models.

KeroPower 05-25-2011 11:35 AM

OS

Chinese engines

Russian diesels

Weed wacker conversion

4-stroke Magnums

Paw diesels

Now I am in a Fox engine phase.

MetallicaJunkie 05-25-2011 11:55 AM

ive gone through phases.. where im in to my screamers.. then 4 strokes... now im into my gassers... but i try to take a glow plane with me whenever i fly, i purchased 12 gallons of powermaster when i was on a glow engine high a few months ago, so now i gotta burn it:D