RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Crashed enya 90 4C (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/10659582-crashed-enya-90-4c.html)

kenh3497 08-07-2011 09:09 AM

Crashed enya 90 4C

I crashed my Cap 232 with my Enya 90 4C on Wednesday night. It hit the ground hard enough to bend the threaded portion of the crankshaft. Without measuring I would say it is bent about 1MM off center. How successful would it be to try to straiten this? I have a dial indicator and the tools to do the job. Would I loose enough strength to affect the clamping power for the prop?

I had just done some horse trading to acquire this engine (my first 4C) and I love how it runs. I do not want to use it as a paperweight if I don't have to. The engine and plane were "perfect" before an inflight structural failure.

earlwb 08-07-2011 09:57 AM

RE: Crashed enya 90 4C

It depends on how much case hardening was done or not. Give it a try and see if you can straighten it or not. The worse that can happen is the bent end snaps off on you. If it doesn't and you get it straight, then you don't have to find a new crankshaft or make one. You can't use it bent anyway.

tiffitech 08-07-2011 01:00 PM

I would first try to contact Ken Enya ([email protected]) and ask there for a new crankshaft.
I think you can buy one there. If this really fails, think about to straighten it, but this is the 2nd option.
I had an MVVS with an bent crankshaft, it snapped while trying to straighten it in my lathe, there where
hair cracks already in it.

Regards,

Holm

Kmot 08-07-2011 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I straightened a bent crank snout on my Enya 40-4C engine. Piece of cake!

MetallicaJunkie 08-07-2011 03:17 PM

flyboydave used to to do it for free.... all you had to do was send a money order to cover the return shipping and maybe a little tip[8D] he straightened a crank on a saito 90 and a sf61

kenh3497 08-09-2011 04:47 AM

I sent an e-mail off to Enya. A new crank, prop nut and washer comes to about $80 including shipping. A lot of money, but in the scheme of things, it is something I can live with. It's off to try to straiten the crank. As mentioned, what have I got to loose?

Motorboy 08-09-2011 05:25 AM

The crankshaft is not whole hardened, contact with moving parts is hardened only. Hence the treaded part is not hardened also not be a brittle part to hold the propeller or receive impact or to be screwed hard without the treaded part is broken off the crankshaft. :)

Safe enough to straight out the bend treaded part of the crank shaft.

kenh3497 08-10-2011 04:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Motorboy

The crankshaft is not whole hardened, contact with moving parts is hardened only. Hence the treaded part is not hardened also not be a brittle part to hold the propeller or receive impact or to be screwed hard without the treaded part is broken off the crankshaft. :)

I've been working on the shaft and most of the bend is out. Doing it by eye up to this point. Now I need too set up my dial indicater and get it down to the nitty gritty. I would think if I get it to within .005 inch it should be close enough. Any thoughts on the maximun runout it should have?

Motorboy 08-10-2011 06:12 AM

ORIGINAL: kenh3497

ORIGINAL: Motorboy

I've been working on the shaft and most of the bend is out. Doing it by eye up to this point. Now I need too set up my dial indicater and get it down to the nitty gritty. I would think if I get it to within .005 inch it should be close enough. Any thoughts on the maximun runout it should have?
Important: The propeller is not tilts or make vibration. 0,005 inch is small enough if the propeller is not tilts....